Classic style E1M1 replacement

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LedIris

Classic style E1M1 replacement

Post by LedIris »

E1tchbse.wad
(103.1 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/tKu5Xpv[/imgur]
Spoiler: Screenshots
A short & simple E1M1 replacement serving as an introductory first level (based off of the layout & design of the original E1M1)
Optimized for difficulty levels, co-op & deathmatch, tested in PrBoom+, GZDoom & Chocolate
I do have some rough plans to add more maps to this & perhaps even turn it into a full episode replacement, so I will update the thread should that happen

Enjoy and let me know what you think!
DavidN

Re: Classic style E1M1 replacement

Post by DavidN »

This made me feel very nostalgic - there's something about E1 that feels like home ;) Great emulation of the style, and I would definitely love to see more maps like this!

LedIris

Post by LedIris »

DavidN wrote:This made me feel very nostalgic - there's something about E1 that feels like home ;) Great emulation of the style, and I would definitely love to see more maps like this!
That's awesome! Thanks for the video David, I had good fun watching it :) I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, very nice little E1M1 replacement. Echoing everything that David said.

It's pretty easy and short, but that's entirely appropriate for the slot it's filling.

It's fun to play and it looks good. Can't ask for much more than that. :D
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Fun little map with that classic feel. I always love checking out these remake maps. :D

Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

Short yet sweet.

Last edited by Kills_Alone on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

This is so good. Everything just feels so right in this.
Aquila Chrysaetos

Post by Aquila Chrysaetos »

Very well put together map, I have nothing but praise for it.
Played in ZDoom 2.8.1, Doom (strict) compatibility mode.

The difficulty is low, but the gameplay is quick and satisfies nicely, there's nowhere that feels unnecessarily constricted, everything is free to move.
The secrets were all interesting and satisfying to find, and the last one is very reminiscent of Hangar, a nice little nod.
With the shotgun being the only available weapon, the low tier enemies to tear through compliment it very well, so there's no grind to be found.
There's noticeably more sector work here, but it feels vanilla-compatible and would slot right in with the rest of vanilla E1 rather nicely.

One very minor nitpick:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 121602.png
I personally would remove the bit of floor from the middle of the carpet there, makes the floor slightly bumpier than I feel it should be.

I very well enjoyed this and look forward to anything else you make to join it.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Wow! Thanks everybody for the support, it's awesome to see you guys enjoy this little map! I love the new videos too, I will be adding these to the OP with credits. ;)
Aquila Chrysaetos wrote:One very minor nitpick:
I personally would remove the bit of floor from the middle of the carpet there, makes the floor slightly bumpier than I feel it should be.
Thanks for the feedback! I may lower this bit of floor for a future update.
MObreck

Post by MObreck »

Enjoyable little map :)

After I played through the original version I tested it with my Doom To Heretic conversion mod I'm working on, just to see what would happen. Here are the results (Warning: Spoilers for all the secret rooms):
Spoiler:
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

MObreck wrote:Enjoyable little map :)

After I played through the original version I tested it with my Doom To Heretic conversion mod I'm working on, just to see what would happen.
That's pretty awesome! Very interesting to see the map in a totally different setting, it actually looks really cool!
RaZZoR

Post by RaZZoR »

Return to “Levels”