Crash: AV in GZDoom x64 g4.5pre-136 in D2tWiD Map 33 Hexsoil

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Hojo82
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Crash: AV in GZDoom x64 g4.5pre-136 in D2tWiD Map 33 Hexsoil

Post by Hojo82 »

When playing Doom 2 the Way id Did map 33, Hexsoil, it crashes with an access violation repeatedly within the first several minutes of playing the level. I am including the pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad and BeautifulDoom200612.pk3 as well.

It always seems to try reading from the same address at 0x1D4, which since it's consistent and close to null, it's likely just a null pointer access violation. You can download the wads from this Google Drive link (didn't want to attach a 47MB file): https://drive.google.com/file/d/17kzGL_ ... DtJMB/view

If I can provide any other information that would be helpful, just let me know. I attempted to record a demo for the second crash dump, but due to the access violation, no demo ended up being written to disk.
Attachments
CrashReport2.zip
(59.88 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
CrashReport.zip
(61.47 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Crash: AV in GZDoom x64 g4.5pre-136 in D2tWiD Map 33 Hex

Post by Rachael »

A) I cannot reproduce the crash with my version of GZDoom. Are you using a dev build or are you self-compiling?

B) It appears as though you are -deh'ing a file and it is not in the package you included. I'm starting to suspect that it might be the cause of the crash.

Ultimately, we'd still like it if that's the case because fixing a crash (especially a null pointer access, even if it comes from dehacked) is fairly desirable.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Please share saved game and config file.
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

Rachael wrote:A) I cannot reproduce the crash with my version of GZDoom. Are you using a dev build or are you self-compiling?
I'm using the Windows dev build x64 g4.5pre-136.
Rachael wrote:B) It appears as though you are -deh'ing a file and it is not in the package you included. I'm starting to suspect that it might be the cause of the crash.
It's included in the file in the Google Drive link. I didn't want to include all of the wads, etc. here in the forum as it's about 45MB download and felt it would be best to foot that storage bill myself.
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

_mental_ wrote:Please share saved game and config file.
Attached.
Attachments
gzdoom-KyleJ.ini
Config file
(18.33 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
auto3.zds
Saved game file
(181.75 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

I should also add that I'm using the dev build as 4.4.2 has a brutal memory leak that resulted in nearly all of my 64GB of RAM being utilized which apparently was fixed in June.
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

So I was able to build the source using Visual Studio 2019 from https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom.git and reproduce the problem at commit b11298af (the current HEAD). The error occurs updating sounds, particularly when calculating position and velocity. However, it appears that the actor's sector pointer is invalid. As I'm unfamiliar with the code, I don't know whether this is due to the sector pointer being bad or the actor pointer being bad. Given what I'm seeing in the actor structure, however, it seems like the actor pointer is invalid.

Here's a link to a screenshot from Visual Studio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fh91S_ ... bBRRf/view

I created a dump with the heap and uploaded it to my Google Drive as well. Here's a link to that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bedjvy ... ryg0i/view

If I can be of more assistance, let me know. I'm willing to do a guided debugging tour since I have a working build.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Most likely, it’s a mod bug. This crash usually indicates that actor destroys itself during execution of its own Tick() function.
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

_mental_ wrote:Most likely, it’s a mod bug. This crash usually indicates that actor destroys itself during execution of its own Tick() function.
Very interesting...so basically something within the ACS code destroying itself in the Tick() override (would destroying self during WorldTick() potentially cause this problem?) could be causing this breakage. That definitely gives some ideas of where to look for culprits. I'll bang away at it and see what I can find. :)

Thanks!
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Player701 »

_mental_ wrote:Most likely, it’s a mod bug. This crash usually indicates that actor destroys itself during execution of its own Tick() function.
I'm sorry to slightly derail this topic, but could you please tell me why it is not safe to destroy an actor in this way? Because I seem to have quite a few calls to Destroy in my Tick overrides in my own code, and I have never got any crashes from that. Perhaps I have misunderstood you somehow? If not, then what should I do in my Tick code instead of calling Destroy when I have determined that I need to instantly remove the actor?
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

To the best of my understanding, what's going on is that a Beautiful Doom (hereafter referred to as BD) RealBullet subclass actor is spawned at some point (RealBullet itself being a subclass of ZDoom's FastProjectile) that plays a whizzing sound if the projectile is closer than 192 units to the current camera during a given tic. However, when the sound is being calculated at a given tic, it appears that the actor has been destroyed already.

When GZDoom crashes, looking at the FSoundChan object in the SoundEngine::CalcPosVel() frame, it references BD's whizzing sound, while the actor pointed at by the channel has been clobbered, presumably because it's been destroyed. It seems to me that the best temporary fix is to put an A_StopSound(CHAN_AUTO) in an OnDestroy() override in BD's RealBullet class. However, that seems to put the onus on the script developer to understand GZDoom internals (which could change anyway), when GZDoom should be smart enough to clean up references to a destroyed actor. In my mind, one of the following two things probably ought to happen in GZDoom:
  1. It should prevent complete destruction of an actor until any sound it is playing has finished playing.
  2. It should immediately stop playing all sounds emanating from an actor upon destruction.
The first solution seems to be the most difficult and also potentially the most problematic from the standpoint of contravening the script writers intentions. The second one would just require the actor code to stop all sounds immediately in Destroy().

Regarding your statement _mental_:
I should note that GZDoom's own fastprojectile.zs (in wadsrc/static/zscript/actors/shared) calls Destroy() in several places in FastProjectile::Tick(). So while this may be the source of bugs in GZDoom, it doesn't appear to be explicitly prohibited given the pattern in GZDoom's own source code.

Thoughts?
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

Okay, so after some in depth investigation, the bug is that the Beautiful Doom ZScript RealBullet::Tick() call is calling super.Tick() (which is ZDoom's FastProjectile::Tick()). FastProjectile::Tick() sometimes calls Destroy(), which means by the time control returns to RealBullet::Tick(), the object may be flagged for destruction by the GC. RealBullet::Tick() then calls A_StartSound() if the actor is close enough to the current camera, which means a sound is potentially set to play for an actor that is flagged for destruction. By the time sound is being calculated, the actor has been destroyed, resulting in the sound channel having a now invalid pointer to the destroyed actor. I should note that there's a commented out assert in DoomSoundEngine::CalcPosVel() (specifically in the SOURCE_Actor case of the switch statement) that checks that actor is not nullptr. So it seems that this has potentially been an issue for a while.

In the end, all can be avoided by checking bDestroyed in the RealBullet::Tick() override in Beautiful Doom's script code. However, it also seems prudent to add a check in VerifyActorSound() (in s_doomsound.cpp) to verify that sound isn't being added for an object with flag OF_EuthanizeMe.
Hojo82

Post by Hojo82 »

I've opened pull request #1181 containing the s_doomsound.cpp fix that ensures the actors ObjectFlags doesn't contain OF_EuthanizeMe.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks for the investigation and the fix.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Player701 »

Hojo82 wrote:I should note that GZDoom's own fastprojectile.zs (in wadsrc/static/zscript/actors/shared) calls Destroy() in several places in FastProjectile::Tick(). So while this may be the source of bugs in GZDoom, it doesn't appear to be explicitly prohibited given the pattern in GZDoom's own source code.
OK, so I guess this is not illegal after all. Thanks for investigating this issue.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”