'D'-Radys Companion Mod (r5)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

'D'-Radys Companion Mod (r5)

Post by Untitled »

We are now MAXIMUM ANIME.

CREDITS:
All sprites are taken from the original 'D'-Radys, by SHOgun: http://onomutilok.blog.shinobi.jp/doom/ ... -radys_229
I just made an companion pack out of this because apparently I'm weak to anime.

DOWNLOAD: DRadysAllies_r7.pk3

Yep, there' EIGHT of them to choose from. You start with the summon items for each of the eight companions. Summon selectively, or summon them all!

You can move through them. They have a decent but not huge health pool, and If they die, they will take thirty seconds to respawn. They will silently teleport behind you if you leave their line of sight, so they'll always be hanging out around you.

For a brief rundown of each hero (from left of image to right of image):

C. Kid: Lead by their quest to find 'A. Kid', C. Kid is the leader of the group. A bit of an oddball. C. Kid throws bat-shaped boomerangs (though, they aren't that good at it - they never manage to get them back), and occasionally shoots explosive chickens at their opponents. Don't ask how that works. They also carry a powerful machine gun, and on very rare occasions will fire rockets.

Rena: After being asked to join C. Kid, Rena couldn't say no. She prefers to keep things simple and just use a shotgun. It's a powerful weapon; used aggressively Rena might be the best of the girls at sheer demon killing power.

Takako: Takako's default weapon is just a pistol, which is notably weak - however, she can summon up to three rocket-armed dogs (no, seriously) to assist her and the player in combat, and when that runs out, she can borrow Patricia's magical weaponry, though her attacks are very different from Patricia's.

Patricia: A wielder of supernatural magic, Patricia uses her magical staves in combat. She has four of them: The gold staff, which fires a set of fireballs that come out in a cross shape, the eye staff, which is a railgun attack, the comet staff, which, well, fires a comet, and the freeze staff, which fires some icy projectiles.

Nagato: Wanting to get the situation under control as much as anyone else, Nagato's dead accurate with throwing knives, and also has the ability to use her alien coding skills to wire and program defensive sentry bots on the fly, which she will lay down on occasion.

Iris: Called by C. Kid to join the battlefield. However, in contrast to Rena being the up-front shotgunner, Iris is visibly armed with a sniper rifle, and can make the most of her damage at long range - in melee she uses her desert eagle.

Andlo: Built to counter large monsters, Andlo is an android armed with some powerful weapons: a minigun, a shotgun, a mini rocket launcher that fires in bursts of three, and a plasma rifle that fires slower than the player's. She does move slower than the other characters, though.

B. Kid: C. Kid's sister in law, they join in battle as well. Due to some experimentation, she wields an assortment of demonic weaponry - wielding standard doom monster attacks right back at them!
Last edited by Untitled on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: 'D'-Radys Companion Mod

Post by Baratus »

I've given this a quick play and from what I've seen, this mod's pretty fun! Each character feels fairly distinct and interesting and I'm quickly finding out which ones are my favourites for different situations. Also it's fun to let them all loose in a densely populated map full of monsters and watch the legions to demons drop at the hands of your army of miniature gremlins.

Their movement tends to be a bit erratic and hard to predict and this makes using projectile weapons quite risky, because the player can detonate rockets by accident and hurt themselves, or waste ammo when the companions absorb the projectiles. This problem is more prominent when more companions are active.

I would strongly recommend adding +NOTAUTOAIMED to each of the companions so that at least the player can't nuke them with friendly BFG rays and only targets enemies.

Nice mod, great to see a continuation in the trend of companion mods!
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Baratus wrote:I've given this a quick play and from what I've seen, this mod's pretty fun! Each character feels fairly distinct and interesting and I'm quickly finding out which ones are my favourites for different situations. Also it's fun to let them all loose in a densely populated map full of monsters and watch the legions to demons drop at the hands of your army of miniature gremlins.
Heh, yeah. I kind of wanted to make something similar to my Touhou Doom Allies, but without the part where what you're getting is an absurdly powerful force of danmaku that will utterly flatten whatever dares go in front of it. It's the quirky miniboss squad vs. the full-out friendly boss rush.
Baratus wrote:Their movement tends to be a bit erratic and hard to predict and this makes using projectile weapons quite risky, because the player can detonate rockets by accident and hurt themselves, or waste ammo when the companions absorb the projectiles. This problem is more prominent when more companions are active.
This is a recurring problem with most heavy ally mods - I don't have a good way to fix this; and it makes using rockets somewhat hard to use if all of the companions are in effect.
Baratus wrote:I would strongly recommend adding +NOTAUTOAIMED to each of the companions so that at least the player can't nuke them with friendly BFG rays and only targets enemies.
Today I learned that exists.
Baratus wrote:Nice mod, great to see a continuation in the trend of companion mods!
Thanks for giving feedback - this was a small enough thing I didn't expect to get much in the way of a response, so thanks!

EDIT: Made r3.
- Allies use standard chase behavior instead of fast chase behavior. This should make their movement more predictable.
- They all have +NOTAUTOAIMED, because I now know that exists.
- Fixed a few flags - they also have +NOBLOCKMONST. I also removed +AMBUSH because why was that on there?
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Ohhh shiiiiit, I didn't expect to see Iris here; she's one of my favorite doujin characters.

Back when image signatures were in vogue, she was in the rotation:

I'll have to give this a try.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Just out of interest, did you ask Toooooasty-san about this?
Alamo985
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alamo985 »

This is a nice companion mod, but friendly fire still bugged me around when I'm playing with.
Hope you make them *at least* doesn't kill me every time they throw a grenade.
TheGrandGumby
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by TheGrandGumby »

I love these companions!

I'm adding these to my Oblige mod under the "Realm667 Allies" menu (they will be "off" by default)

https://github.com/mridlen/Oblige_Realm667
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Gollgagh wrote:Ohhh shiiiiit, I didn't expect to see Iris here; she's one of my favorite doujin characters.
I honestly didn't know where she's from - the google translate from the D-Radys basically says "Original Story 'Material'", which doesn't tell me anything.
Kinsie wrote:Just out of interest, did you ask Toooooasty-san about this?
I didn't, but mostly because he wasn't credited in the readme that comes with D-Radys - and given that the mod was last updated in 2013, SHOgun isn't someone I think I can easily contact.
Alamo985 wrote:This is a nice companion mod, but friendly fire still bugged me around when I'm playing with.
Hope you make them *at least* doesn't kill me every time they throw a grenade.
That's odd - let me check the damagetypes...wow, I missed a quite a few.

There's also another, more subtle bug - I use some actors that are directly taken from D-Radys, but in a couple cases I re-damagetype them - this has the side effect of making so if you're running with the original D-Radys, and you run the mods in the wrong order, making the allies use the original versions of the actors, meaning they weren't damagetyped properly. It's a fringe case, but it's an important fringe case. Damagetype related issues should be fixed in r5.
TheGrandGumby wrote:I love these companions!

I'm adding these to my Oblige mod under the "Realm667 Allies" menu (they will be "off" by default)

https://github.com/mridlen/Oblige_Realm667
Make sure you update to include changes from the fifth revision of the mod - it changes quite a bit; you'll want to replace A. Kid with B. Kid, in specific.

Okay, I should just get to the point: DRadysAllies_r5.pk3 has been released!

CHANGELOG:
- Fixed a bunch of missing damage types.
- A. Kid has been retired from the roster. She's not one of the playables in D-Radys, so it was somewhat wrong for her to be in here. She's still in the code, but she won't be given to you.
- In her place, B. Kid is now available as a companion! She wields doom monster attacks right back at the enemy.
- C. Kid will now occasionally wield the ACT Machinegun and on very rare occasions the ACT Rocket Launcher, giving her a bit more versatility in combat.
- Rena now also wields the SSG - which is really just an alternative take on her normal shotgun. She's still the shotgunner, and she's still relatively simple in function.
- Takako's pistol has been nerfed.
- The reason for this is that she now wields some additional magical weaponry, which should help keep her in the fray, trading direct damage for more versatile firepower.
- Patricia had 2000 health for no apparent reason, which is double the rest of the curve - it's been normalized back to 1000.
- Patricia's Gold Staff does less damage. She now wields the Eye Staff, Comet Staff, and Freeze Staff, for better variety.
- Nagato's knife damage has been nerfed.
- She now has the ability to set-up robotic combat sentries mid-combat! Again, giving Nagato some more versatility.

Check OP for download. Again, credit goes to SHOgun and the original D-Radys for literally all of the inspiration for all of this.
Last edited by Untitled on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Untitled wrote:
Kinsie wrote:Just out of interest, did you ask Toooooasty-san about this?
I didn't, but mostly because he wasn't credited in the readme that comes with D-Radys - and given that the mod was last updated in 2013, SHOgun isn't someone I think I can easily contact.
I believe SHOgun and Toooooasty are the same individual, or in any case Toooooasty was the current maintainer of D-Radys as of 2018. He's on Twitter, but his English isn't fantastic so communication might be a bit bumpy.
TheGrandGumby
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: 'D'-Radys Companion Mod (r5)

Post by TheGrandGumby »

Cool, I'll give it the update!

Is B. Kid supposed to use the Revenant graphics?

Code: Select all

RevenantMelee:
    BBKD G 0 A_FaceTarget
    SKEL A 6 A_SkelWhoosh
    SKEL BCD 2 A_FaceTarget
    SKEL E 2 A_CustomMeleeAttack(random(1, 10) * 6, "skeleton/melee", "", "DRadysAllyDamage")
    SKEL FG 2 A_FaceTarget
	goto See
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

TheGrandGumby wrote:Cool, I'll give it the update!

Is B. Kid supposed to use the Revenant graphics?

Code: Select all

RevenantMelee:
    BBKD G 0 A_FaceTarget
    SKEL A 6 A_SkelWhoosh
    SKEL BCD 2 A_FaceTarget
    SKEL E 2 A_CustomMeleeAttack(random(1, 10) * 6, "skeleton/melee", "", "DRadysAllyDamage")
    SKEL FG 2 A_FaceTarget
	goto See
Welp, there's r6.

Fixed, thank you.
Alamo985
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alamo985 »

It's a bit sad to see A. Kid go.
Hope she can come back in the future.
Ganbare-Lucifer
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ganbare-Lucifer »

Ah, a man of culture I see.

Glad you improved my attempt to convert them into companions.

Say, are you planning to do an 'immortal' version of them? Similar to Susie/Ralsei/Isabelle/Klug/Maguro?
dragomir

Post by dragomir »

Can you make your 'D'-Radys Companions summon-able with limited time?And nerf them so they deal low damage and move slower and has low health?And when they die/or run out of time they go back to inventory and recharge for 5-8 minutes.after that they can be summoned again.
This guys are Op when playing normal game with heretic doom mode or project brutality mode.Your companions are interesting but they clear out all enemies without my help.
I cant even fight alongside them LOL.Could you also give them some unique abilities like dropping unique items,or heal player for a limited amount.Also it would be great if you could give them command to stay or follow

Return to “Gameplay Mods”