The Doomsday Mansion - Spooky's In Doom!?!? - Pre Release 3!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

The Doomsday Mansion - Spooky's In Doom!?!? - Pre Release 3!

Post by Dewzanity »

Basically this is a mix of Doom and Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion. If you haven't played SJM before, I would highly recommend it.

If you have not, I will explain how the game works, as well as this too. And to avoid any confusion, this is based on the ORIGINAL Spooky's, not the HD renovation, because I prefer the original mechanics and gameplay.

The goal of SJM is to get through 1,000 rooms. They're all pretty small and short, taking about 5-10 seconds per room. However, your journey will be full of jumpscares, and you'll be chased by creatures known as specimens every now and then.

Enough spoilers, the game also has an endless mode, of which is the only mode I included in Doomsday Mansion, because I think it's more fun. So essentially in Doomsday Mansion, you're just endlessly running from room to room, while occasionally getting chased by demons, and the game will end once you die. I do plan however, to make a story mode for the final release of this mod, which should hopefully be the next version.

Also, some important info for this mod, and some other things that I think will improve your experience.

---This mod is made for GZDoom, and will probably malfunction in other sourceports.
---Remember to put your display hud all the way at 12 (no HUD), this is because the HUD used is auto activated by scripts, and the other HUD's would interfere.
---Turn autorun off, as it reverses the mechanics of the stamina system.
---No hacking into the scripts for a fake high score, though idk why anybody would do that.
---Try to avoid using the automap for the full room exploration experience. I'm unsure how to disable the automap.
---Once you die, you're not supposed to reload your previous save. This is how it works in the endless mode of both SJM's. You must start from Room 0. I couldn't implement this because there are no options for changing the way saves work in GZDoom.
---Make sure the compatability settings are set properly, the one at the very bottom "Use Original Sound Target Handling" should be set to "No". If not, then the demons won't chase you properly.
---Disable Wall Running, it's kinda cheap for this sort of mod.

---If you see or notice any bugs, glitches and other oddities, be sure to post them here so that I can fix them, hopefully.
---Feel free to post your high scores in the forum if you wish.

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Demons
Spoiler:
Powerups
Spoiler:
Special thanks goes out to...

---Akuma Kira for SJM, the inspiration for this mod. Also this mod uses a lot of the soundtrack in SJM.
---Josh Sealy for Resurgence.wad, this is the texture resource wad file I use in most of my mods, as well as this one.
---Various other sprite artists because without them, EVERYTHING in this mod would be a childish MS Paint drawing.
---Any other resources I used I owe a big thanks to.

Download link is here for Release 3 : https://www.mediafire.com/file/kn2ovl5u ... 3.zip/file

Release 2 : https://www.mediafire.com/file/eu5cagk3 ... 2.zip/file

Release 1 : https://drive.google.com/file/d/14uoTZT ... sp=sharing

Enjoy the experience all you doomers. The next version should hopefully be the final big release, so stay tuned.
Last edited by Dewzanity on Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 10 times in total.
ActionAlligator

Re: The Doomsday Mansion [Doom + Spooky's Mansion Mod] WIP

Post by ActionAlligator »

Most people format their images as such:

Screenshots
[spoilertag][imgurtag]yourimgurlink[/imgurtag]
[imgurtag]yourimgurlink[/imgurtag]
[imgurtag]yourimgurlink[/imgurtag][/spoilertag]

That would show three images, for example, one on top of the other, all within a spoiler box that the user can show or hide to reduce image clutter on the post. Remove "tag" from the brackets of course; in full editing mode, there's an "imgur" button and "spoiler" button that will automatically print the tags for you in the text box, just make sure the spoiler tag surrounds all the imgur tags and links. Replace "yourimgurlink" with an imgur "image link" (i.e., not "direct link" or "markdown link" etc.). I'm not sure if you can use other image services to directly show images on this forum, as it has [img] tags turned off, although you can directly link via url to each image or an image album if you wanted I guess, but that would be a little awkward and less convenient. If you're not familiar with imgur, I can try to help you with that too; it's super easy and convenient, definitely one of the best image hosting services imo.
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

Thank you for the tip, but I was kinda talking about how like when you look at all the mods in the mods list that most of them have some kind of image in the "Preview" column. I have no clue on how to do that.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Dewzanity wrote:Thank you for the tip, but I was kinda talking about how like when you look at all the mods in the mods list that most of them have some kind of image in the "Preview" column. I have no clue on how to do that.
The first image by default should be displayed, but imgur images (at least for me) failed to display.
I used this method:

Code: Select all

[thumb]https://i.imgur.com/ImageID.png[/thumb]   
Though this is a very interesting project.
I only got to 100 rooms so far, gonna play some more later.
I wasn't a fan of the Unmaker zombie, as the constant freezing in place got quite annoying.
And definitely not a fan of the wall popups, as one gave me a heart attack as I was focusing on the low droning sound in the background.... And it was Doomguy's face with heart eyes no less.
Of course, the wall popups were there in the original game, so good job on bringing that into Doom too.

One thing I noticed is that this mod wasn't made for "always run" turned on as it breaks the stamina mechanic.
Maybe put a little notice on startup to turn it off?

I like projects that bring different games into Doom, no matter the game.
I have a few drafts of such projects myself.
So good job with this so far! :D
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

The first image by default should be displayed, but imgur images (at least for me) failed to display.
I used this method:
I tried this out, and now the image displayed is a picture of a broken file. I assume this has something to do with the image itself, but I find it's better than nothing.
I wasn't a fan of the Unmaker zombie, as the constant freezing in place got quite annoying.
I intended for this guy to be annoying, since he was so easy in comparison, but now that I think about it, I'm thinking of changing his blood effect to be a slightly longer lasting, but not as slow. Or if I lower the duration, I kinda want to make him faster to make up for the slowing you down.
And definitely not a fan of the wall popups, as one gave me a heart attack as I was focusing on the low droning sound in the background.... And it was Doomguy's face with heart eyes no less.
Just like in the original, you get used to the jumpscares real quick, unless you're focusing on running from a tough demon, then it might get ya. I'm aware that it could get annoying, and especially cringy, but I imagine that it could just be related to the personality of the demon behind the jumpscares.
One thing I noticed is that this mod wasn't made for "always run" turned on as it breaks the stamina mechanic.
Maybe put a little notice on startup to turn it off?
Put it in the important info section to turn off autorun. Forgot to do that while making the mod page. Thank you for your support!
ActionAlligator

Ah ok, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. Still, screenshots really help with getting people to try your mod; I've seen enough threads to realize a big difference hehe.

All the working image previews in the forum are imgur images, so it must be something we're doing wrong here. Are you sure you're using the right imgur link, i.e., "https://imgur.com/blahblah" and not "https://i.imgur.com/blahblah.png", the former being an "image link" that you need to bracket within the imgur tags while the latter is a "direct link" as defined in imgur. I don't see any images in your thread OP, so that's probably why it's a broken link preview, perhaps? Unless you edited it and it still wasn't working? If you did all this right, I'm confused as to why it wouldn't work.

Good luck with your mod, I'll check it out if I get a chance!
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

I think I've got it right with the link and all that, but I guess the only problem I see is that I'm gonna have to post screenshots, so I'll do that to see if it works. I'd say it's worth a shot. Thank you for your wise words.
ActionAlligator

Looking good, man! Glad you got it working. I think maybe the forum "preview" image is still broken because it doesn't update after you've already posted it maybe? Unless we're still doing something wrong, hah, driving me crazy if we are. Anyways, to repeat myself, I'll check out your mod as soon as I get a chance!
Dewzanity

Re: The Doomsday Mansion V1.2 [Doom + Spooky's Mansion Mod]

Post by Dewzanity »

Release 2 : https://www.mediafire.com/file/eu5cagk3 ... 2.zip/file

Big change in the Doom community, I know, I know I'm amazing.

This update adds 4 new demons, 4 new texture sets (textures in a set of rooms), 2 new room sets (combination of 72 rooms you can get between checkpoints). There's also proper difficulty selections now.

Practice : Demons move slower and do less damage, stamina and shotgun ammo is doubled, regeneration is faster.
Standard : Normal demon speed and damage, normal stamina and shotgun ammo, normal regeneration.
Expert : Faster demon speed and more damage, normal stamina and shotgun ammo, slower regeneration. Demons will chase you much more often, and sometimes right after a demon leaves.

Extra minor stuff, second demon changed to be less annoying, checkpoint rooms expanded on.

Good luck and enjoy!
Dewzanity

Re: The Doomsday Mansion - Spooky's In Doom!?!? - Pre Releas

Post by Dewzanity »

Release 3 : https://www.mediafire.com/file/kn2ovl5u ... 3.zip/file

Alright guys, so I am sick of bug fixing on Release 3 of this mod, so now I'm gonna have you all do it! Hahahaha!!!

This update adds new rooms, room sets, demons, anything you can possibly imagine! Except for texture sets. It also adds new powerups as well, so give that a go! And a bunch of other stuff has been under improvements. Oh and the paintings have finally been updated, so there you go there. What else? Hmmm, well how about y'all find out what's in store for yourself, eh?

Next update to this mod should hopefully be the final version, and it will be the most ambitious update yet! I will finish making room sets, room textures, demons, and might even include a story mode! Stay tuned, doomers! Good luck!
Gez

Re: The Doomsday Mansion - Spooky's In Doom!?!? - Pre Releas

Post by Gez »

You may be interested in checking out this previous effort. :)

The mediafire links still work, the github link is broken but with a search I found this which seems to be it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”