WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JPL

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by JPL »

That's what those levels look like with the "Final Doom Texture Substitutions" disabled. Check the WadSmoosh section of the options menu.
Since 1.2 it uses ZScript, so if you're using a (very old) version that doesn't support ZScript, that may be why.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Thanks for the info.
The setting was enabled. I tried disabling it and then enabling it again. But it’s still the same unfortunately.
I’m using WadSmoosh 1.23 and GZDoom g4.4.2
JPL

Post by JPL »

Plynthus wrote:Thanks for the info.
The setting was enabled. I tried disabling it and then enabling it again. But it’s still the same unfortunately.
I’m using WadSmoosh 1.23 and GZDoom g4.4.2
Are you loading doom_complete.pk3 as an add-on or as the IWAD? Are any other addons loaded? When you open the automap does it say the map name is MAP02 or PL_MAP02? (The texture substitution code looks at the map name.)
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

I’m loading it as an IWAD as GZDoom automatically recognizes it.
No addons loaded when testing this. I disabled autoloads as well.
Map name in auto map is PL_MAP02
Last edited by Plynthus on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Plynthus wrote:I’m loading it as an IWAD as GZDoom automatically recognizes it.
No addons loaded when testing this. I disabled autoloads as well.
Map name in auto map is PL_MAP02
Weird. I can't seem to reproduce this. Try running with a fresh config, like

Code: Select all

gzdoom -config blah -iwad doom_complete.pk3 +map pl_map02
Here's what I see in the output when I run that:

GZDoom g4.5pre-79-g5f8b31344 - 2020-08-03 12:45:20 +0300 - SDL version
Compiled on Jul 15 2020
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /home/jpl/gzdoom/release/gzdoom.pk3, 615 lumps
 adding /home/jpl/gzdoom/release/game_support.pk3, 2512 lumps
 adding /home/jpl/projects/wadsmoosh/doom_complete.pk3, 3279 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.

(various other not-relevant init stuff)

PL_MAP02 - Well of Souls
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

JPL wrote:Weird. I can't seem to reproduce this. Try running with a fresh config, like

gzdoom -config blah -iwad doom_complete.pk3 +map pl_map02
It loaded the correct texture with this.
But changing the map and then changing back to PL_MAP02 broke it again.

Maybe it's in my finished doom_complete.pk3 file.
I redownloaded the latest GZDoom and opened it with that. Without copying gzdoom-(username).ini file.
And it still loaded the wrong textures for me.

But if it's only on my end then this is no problem. If it works for everyone else.
I don't mind using the actual wad to play plutonia. And maybe with future GZDoom and WadSmoosh updates it works for me too.

Thank you for the help and all the work you've put to WadSmoosh. It's such a great thing to have!
TheArchvile

Post by TheArchvile »

I can attest to what Plynthus actually said. I had similar texture errors happen to me ONLY during TNT and Plutonia (switches becoming a texture of two broken switches yet working as a single one, that texture error in MAP06 of Plutonia, the skull switches in TNT (like the ones in MAP08 Metal) becoming the brain/skull switches for some odd reason, and tech-base textures from the walls becoming sewer ones instead!

I have absolutely no idea what caused this, because I tried reloading the map afterwards and it worked perfectly.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Given that the problem doesn't happen with a fresh config, it'd be helpful if I could get a pair of gzdoom INI files from anyone who'd be comfortable sharing: the one you normally use, and the one generated by

gzdoom -config freshconfig.ini -iwad doom_complete.pk3 +map pl_map08
. I can then diff those files and see side-by-side what's in the former that isn't in the latter. (I can't imagine what sort of personally identifying info would be in one's gzdoom.ini file, but feel free to look yours over before sharing.)

It's not too surprising that the problem is also clearly visible in TNT MAP08, that one also uses a bunch of custom textures and the replacement code appears to be not running in the same way in those shots.
TheArchvile

Post by TheArchvile »

For some reason I can't get the 'freshconfig.ini' to generate, idk why and I don't understand why. Loading the map normally via console doesn't break it, but progressing from MAP01 (Plutonia) to MAP02 instantly breaks the walls at the start of Well of Souls, giving them the 'fireblu' texture Plynthus linked earlier.
JPL

Post by JPL »

TheArchvile wrote:For some reason I can't get the 'freshconfig.ini' to generate, idk why and I don't understand why. Loading the map normally via console doesn't break it, but progressing from MAP01 (Plutonia) to MAP02 instantly breaks the walls at the start of Well of Souls, giving them the 'fireblu' texture Plynthus linked earlier.
Okay I've worked out what the issue is here, and it turns out I don't need to see anyone's INIs. The issue only shows up with natural progression, which to my shame I didn't test thoroughly enough.

When you load into the second map of Plutonia via console command, the MapName is "pl_map02". When you load into it by traveling there from map01, the MapName is "PL_MAP02". And my ZScript didn't force the name to lowercase for the comparison that runs the texture replacements. Adding this fixed it, the fix will be in 1.24.

The difference in capitalization appears to happen because for the first map in an episode, it's taking the name from the MAPINFO episode definition, which in WadSmoosh I lowercased. Subsequent level names are taken from either the console argument or the MAPINFO "next level after this one" data, which in this case was inconsistent. Just in case anything is depending on this being 100% consistent, I made the episode definition mapnames also allcaps.
TheArchvile

Post by TheArchvile »

That is quite a silly bug that the engine does not distinguish lowercase from uppercase, but oh well. Glad we could help you pinpoint the bug!

I also noticed you bundled an excellent "Master Levels" project at DoomWorld that pretty much adds the remaining pieces of the incomplete episodes presented in Master Levels for Doom 2. Since it is a personal project of yours, do you plan on adding it to WadSmoosh? Kind of like... you select Master Levels and it lets you chose from the original MLs or your bundled episodes (like Cabal and Cantos of Inferno). Just a neat little thought I had.
JPL

Post by JPL »

TheArchvile wrote:That is quite a silly bug that the engine does not distinguish lowercase from uppercase, but oh well. Glad we could help you pinpoint the bug!

I also noticed you bundled an excellent "Master Levels" project at DoomWorld that pretty much adds the remaining pieces of the incomplete episodes presented in Master Levels for Doom 2. Since it is a personal project of yours, do you plan on adding it to WadSmoosh? Kind of like... you select Master Levels and it lets you chose from the original MLs or your bundled episodes (like Cabal and Cantos of Inferno). Just a neat little thought I had.
Thanks for the help figuring out what the issue was!
The Master Levels deluxe edition project is a totally separate project and I don't think it merits inclusion in WadSmoosh; it's essentially a fan compilation. It'll require a WadSmoosh IPK3 and replace the original episodes, like any other mod. It's mostly ready, I just need to write up a good readme with all the research I've done.
TheArchvile

Post by TheArchvile »

Yeah, I tried it out and noticed it replaces every original episode with new ones. Regardless, an excellent project of yours indeed. Keep up the great job, JPL!
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheArchvile wrote:for some odd reason
The reason isn't that odd, really. In the original engine, the list of switches and animated textures is hardcoded. You want a different texture? You've got to replace one. This is what the Final Doom authors did; and even from Doom to Doom II a number of switches were changed (for no good reason, though).

WadSmoosh needed a way to solve the texture name conflicts and went with dynamic texture substitution at load time so that the map data is unmodified (and can therefore be patched by GZDoom's map fixing feature).
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

JPL wrote:Okay I've worked out what the issue is here, and it turns out I don't need to see anyone's INIs. The issue only shows up with natural progression, which to my shame I didn't test thoroughly enough.

When you load into the second map of Plutonia via console command, the MapName is "pl_map02". When you load into it by traveling there from map01, the MapName is "PL_MAP02". And my ZScript didn't force the name to lowercase for the comparison that runs the texture replacements. Adding this fixed it, the fix will be in 1.24.
I was changing the map using the "nextmap" command. And I tried by using the normal level exit from MAP01. I didn't use "changemap" at all.
I should've mentioned this yesterday. Glad you figured it out.

Thank you so much! Works great now.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”