Doom RPG SE [unofficial, bugfix-ish]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Someone64

Re: Doom RPG SE [unofficial, bugfix-ish]

Post by Someone64 »

The wiki on Github and the DRLA+DRPG wiki is as much of a manual as you're going to get, unfortunately. Both are quite incomplete but you can learn a fair amount on your own. For assemblies, you can check a text file located in the root directory of DRLA's pk3 which contains all the recipes neatly formatted for your convenience. There's even in-game tips that pop up (which you can disable from DRPG's options menu) that help you get to grips with some of the nuances of playing it.

You can get to the outpost by using the teleportation spell that's for it. It looks like a silhouette of a person standing in front of three blue rings.

The only version of DRPG that works with the current version of DRLA at the moment is this fork which unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on what you're looking for) drastically changes the balance to make progression much slower so that you can play with 1 character over the course of multiple megawads without reaching end-game immediately or the difficulty becoming too trivial. Scroll down to check the readme on the linked Github page for more info on that.
Sumwunn

Post by Sumwunn »

Hmm, I don't see anything that requires updating on DRPG's side in terms of compatibility with the newer DRLA. I'll update the thread and the Git page in the meantime.
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

One of the changes to the doomRL 1.1.3:

Arti has been banned from the game for corrupting reality.

I think in this case we need to remove it from the store in the outpost and from other possible places (if there are any)
Sumwunn

Post by Sumwunn »

I found that the mod pack is still a valid item, so commented out the line for it in the shop. I don't think it's referenced anywhere else in DRPG.

EDIT:

For those having trouble with mid-game freezing!

An occurrence of that has been fixed in DRLA since 1.1.3 and is recommended that you upgrade and start fresh. :D
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

Thank for support your fork!

Do you have any plans for the development of Doom RPG? For example fix various bugs? Such as:

- fixing an increase time for game save (relevant for a long game);

- fixing script loading errors (relevant for long-term games, it happens that scripts can't load at the beginning of the level, which spoils the saving);

Or innovations such as:

- implementation of a way to add WADs to a teleport on the base without having to go into scripts.

Or something like that...
ndvr
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ndvr »

Hey Sumwunn!
Wanted to say 'thank you' for reviving such an awesome mod.
I've got few questions and suggestions:

1) Can you integrate "DRLA Monster Pack" & "Colourful Hell" compatibility? I saw some kind of fix here
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=61234
Because now, if you try to run both of them with Launcher it responds with error about incompatibility and forbids running game.
Same question goes to LegenDoom & DRLA compatibility.

2) Hacking gets boring real quick, cause you can't hack before you cleared map, and after clearing you can even forget about chest or can't backtrack.
I would like to either have option to turn off hacking, so only opened chests could spawn, or to implement some kind of hacking lockpick (electronical lockpick? hacking tool?) which would instantly hack and open locked chests, using, for example, part of augmentation energy as resource, or even Augmentation Battery consumable, or some other consumable which can be bought at Outpost.

Speaking about chests - seems like they're scattered randomly in maps. Maybe move them so 95% of chests will spawn only in secret areas, while 5% could still appear anywhere? It would make searching for secrets even more profitable, cause it's negletted at high PC levels.
Sumwunn

Post by Sumwunn »

lucker42 wrote:Thank for support your fork!

Do you have any plans for the development of Doom RPG? For example fix various bugs? Such as:

- fixing an increase time for game save (relevant for a long game);

- fixing script loading errors (relevant for long-term games, it happens that scripts can't load at the beginning of the level, which spoils the saving);

Or innovations such as:

- implementation of a way to add WADs to a teleport on the base without having to go into scripts.

Or something like that...
- Going on a whim and guessing that the game save load time has something to do with DRPG's DynamicArrays, because I noticed that the load time goes up simply just warping through every level.

- This is a bug that I've been hunting for a long time (and the main reason I started working on DRPG), but annoyingly I haven't been able to reproduce it. I need saves! Lots of saves. If I can get some saves then I may be able to fix it like I did with the DRLA freeze.

- Yeah the WAD stuff is kind of janky really, but I don't believe one can pass strings from ZScript to ACS though. Could pass INTs through but that would lack any friendly map names (might be able to fetch a map name in ACS from an ID).
ndvr wrote:Hey Sumwunn!
Wanted to say 'thank you' for reviving such an awesome mod.
I've got few questions and suggestions:

1) Can you integrate "DRLA Monster Pack" & "Colourful Hell" compatibility? I saw some kind of fix here
Because now, if you try to run both of them with Launcher it responds with error about incompatibility and forbids running game.
Same question goes to LegenDoom & DRLA compatibility.

2) Hacking gets boring real quick, cause you can't hack before you cleared map, and after clearing you can even forget about chest or can't backtrack.
I would like to either have option to turn off hacking, so only opened chests could spawn, or to implement some kind of hacking lockpick (electronical lockpick? hacking tool?) which would instantly hack and open locked chests, using, for example, part of augmentation energy as resource, or even Augmentation Battery consumable, or some other consumable which can be bought at Outpost.

Speaking about chests - seems like they're scattered randomly in maps. Maybe move them so 95% of chests will spawn only in secret areas, while 5% could still appear anywhere? It would make searching for secrets even more profitable, cause it's negletted at high PC levels.
1) DRPG uses a linear-like compatibility system, where only one path of compatiblity can be taken for a gameplay mod (DRLA, LegenDoom) and monster pack (DRLA Monsters, Colourful Hell), so having multiple Monster Packs loaded isn't possible.

2) Huh? What do you mean? I've been able to hack any chest without having to clear the map. Perhaps a feature with the Rebalanced version?

Having options to turn off hacking sounds good, and having new items to use on them sounds great gameplay wise!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

He probably means that he can't hack without clearing the area for safety reasons. I guess that's kinda part of the design of chests to not allow you to open them in a dangerous situation but an item like a an electronic lockpick for it that allows you to instantly open it sounds great. Maybe it could have an adjustable chance to fail and could take time on its own to open crates (so the player has to hold out while it's going) and it has a chance grant rewards that you would get from hitting the bonuses in the hacking minigame. It you really wanted to get crazy with it maybe you could come up with a crafting system akin to the stim and turret systems where you can make a Payday-esque crate "drill" which does the things I mentioned above but grants more rewards based on the parameters you set when crafting them but also take longer to open the crate and spawn monsters of varying strength and amounts based on it as it unlocks.
ndvr
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ndvr »

He probably means that he can't hack without clearing the area for safety reasons.
Yep, that's what I meant. Can't really hack when you're attacked, and most of the time except for large maps you're being attacked till every monster's dead :D
1) DRPG uses a linear-like compatibility system, where only one path of compatiblity can be taken for a gameplay mod (DRLA, LegenDoom) and monster pack (DRLA Monsters, Colourful Hell), so having multiple Monster Packs loaded isn't possible.
So, I tried this patch
and found that it actually works even with newer versions of DRLA & CH, but doesn't work with Adaptive difficulty, perhaps because there was no such difficulty back then when patch was made.
So I kind of fixed this by customizing and adding such difficulty in this patch. It basically works by making monsters from both packs to appear in a single RandomSpawner, so if, for example, there's a spawner for different types of Imps from DRLA and spawner for different coloured Imps from CH, this patch puts them in a single spawner (depending on difficulty) with equal chances of either spawning DRLA variation of Imp or CH variation.

If anyone wish to try or fine-tune it - here's link, hope someone's will perfect it to be included as compatibility patch.
EDIT: reuploaded after bugfix

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5x6m2w8qsk64kb/drlamonsters_ch_patch_1.05.pk3?dl=0
Should always be included as the last one, after every single patch and wad or won't work! I can't find a way to run it with DOOM RPG SE Launcher (it includes it too early and forbids DRLA + CH and DRLA + LegenDoom because of conflict messages), so I'm loading with command line. My example:

Code: Select all

"C:\Games\gzdoom\gzdoom.exe" -iwad "C:\Games\gzdoom\doom2.wad" +sv_cheats 1 -file "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRL_Arsenal_1.1.4.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRL_Monsters_Beta_7.3.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\Doom Hi-Res Texture Pack (Alt+bugfix).pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\lights.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\Lexicon-beta-build-137.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\doom_complete.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\Music_Instrumental.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG\maps\DAM01.wad" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG\maps\Outpost.wad" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG\maps\TitleMap.wad" "C:\Games\gzdoom\Others - Flashlights.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\brightmaps.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\ColourfulHell97ccc.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\LegenDoom_2.7.pk3" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG-Brightmaps" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG-ColourfulHell" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG-LegenDoom" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG-Lexicon" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG-RLArsenal" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG-RLMonsters" "C:\Games\gzdoom\DoomRPG-Rebalance-master-14052020\DoomRPG-WadSmoosh" "C:\Games\gzdoom\drlamonsters_ch_patch_1.05.pk3"
Again, I'm almost sure that the difficulty (monsters spawning) for all except Adaptive are messed up, because it uses spawners from old versions of DRLA & CH, so number of enemies and their types can be different than in current monster pack versions, but Adaptive should be fine, just like DRLA 1.14 + CH 0.9.7ccc.

EDIT: reuploaded, found an error, which caused spawn less monsters than it should be on Adaptive, fixed.
Unfortunately, found and another error which I can't fix without help - Doom RPG's "all monsters killed on level" XP bonus now can't be triggered, because it thinks from the start of level that there's 0 monsters on level, while still correctly showing monster number on level.
Attachments
drlamonsters_ch_patch_1.05.pk3
DRLA Monster Pack 1.14 & Colourful Hell 0.97ccc compatibility patch, reuploaded
(84.77 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Sumwunn

Post by Sumwunn »

Hey guys; I got a bit of an announcement.

I've been banging my head off 'n on for the last couple of days with this mod trying to figure what is causing the whole thing to die, and have gotten nowhere.

So here's what I'm going to do: I am going to abandon the ACS version in favour of rebuilding the mod from the ground up in ZScript, because I figure the amount of effort I am putting into chasing crashes would be much better off exploring a rebuild.

Honestly, I feel like nowadays is the best time to do so given that ZScript is well developed nowadays and miles better than ACS.

I believe the first part of the mod I will tackle will be purely the levelling aspect and monster stats, the pure RPG parts and such. I think the balance will similar, given that chunks of algo's can be migrated without much hassle I think. I'm thinking that won't take too long, and then after the core is rebuilt I can concrentrate on the more complicated parts (such as the shop).
I've already had successful experimentation with the in-game tips: https://github.com/Sumwunn/DoomRPG/comm ... 06f15c0ae4

I'm honestly looking foward to it, as there are many areas of the mod that can be streamlined/improved (such as monster compatibility) and many others.

I think it is best if this thread gets locked, as I will no longer be maintaining my fork. Thinking I may call the rebuild "SummRPG" haha (original DRPG will be credited of course).

See you lot in the future.
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

Sounds interesting. I look forward to the first results.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”