Nightshift v2.1 (01/12/20) Stable changes

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Nightshift v1.4 (03/05/20) - Yet another poll added!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I like the new suggestions a whole lot. Really do. But i must remind you, adding new weapons and ammo types will only serve as a stone in everyone's shoes.

First, because the most simple method (Random Spawners), will leave you all at the mercy of luck. Say you were expecting rifle rounds and get pistol rounds instead. Or you are out of ammo and find ammo for a weapon you don't have yet. And that works for weapons too.

Second, because the purpose of survival goes away and it becomes Shut Up And Bleed all over again. Do i mean SUAB is bad? No, never in my life, it's one of the pillar inspirations of the mod.

But in SUAB you start scavenging, begging to god to drop some .38 special speedloaders, and 6 stages later you have more than 60% of the arsenal and you're not using at least 3 or 4 weapons.

The purpose here is to give every weapon a function to perform. Guess i need to plan things better, then.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

the only weapons i'd suggest would be a sniper rifle to fill the accuracy role, a disposable, one-shot rocket launcher/recoilless rifle as bfg/IoS destroyer, and a magnum revolver because it's a survival horror staple at this point.
i don't know if an smg would feel too redundant with the enfield being there, so i'm cool with having the enfield as the only full auto gun.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

If you look through the files, you'll find a scoped L85. I just need to know how to implement this upgrade thing, and make more upgrades to weapons.
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by The Philosopher »

You could replace the Blur Sphere with the scope
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The Blursphere is replaced with the double damage, my friend.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

I'm of the thought that a specialized sniping weapon could solve two problems at once: it can function both as a long-range weapon, and as a boss-buster.

It also adds an extra layer of thought when facing distant enemies: do I pick them off from here where I'm safer but use possibly limited ammunition, or close the gap and use weapons that I have more ammo for?

I've also put some more thought into the flare gun idea. Have it drop from shotgunners (pre-placed shotgun spawns still spawn the rifle), and from then on shotgunners drop like 1 or 2 shells upon death. This kind of solves the "why do shotgunners drop rifle ammo?" problem, and give the early game some more variety so you're not just using the rifle on basically everything. Later on you get flares (shares the rocket spawns alongside the flamethrower) which can be used as a light splash weapon, something to use against the Icon Of Sin that's easier but takes longer than arcing grenades, DOT against tougher enemies, and as a light source (let's be real, if you're not playing this with DarkDoomZ you're playing this wrong).
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I really like this mod, but lament that there isnt a survival horror gameplay mod for monsters yet.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Crudux Cruo wrote:I really like this mod, but lament that there isnt a survival horror gameplay mod for monsters yet.
There's this.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=65289
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

Can anybody recommend me what maps would be ideal to play with this mod? I really want to go for a full survival horror experience.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

EnriksD8 wrote:Can anybody recommend me what maps would be ideal to play with this mod? I really want to go for a full survival horror experience.
1st Cheogsh WAD, I'm think (2nd & 3rd not so "horror-ish").
Also Umbra of Fate, Unloved... But in this case you have to manually edit the KEYKONF, to avoid conflicts.
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

SLON wrote:
EnriksD8 wrote:Can anybody recommend me what maps would be ideal to play with this mod? I really want to go for a full survival horror experience.
Also Umbra of Fate, Unloved... But in this case you have to manually edit the KEYKONF, to avoid conflicts.
Thanks, man. Although, from personal experience, Unloved doesn't work with most gameplay mods. The only gameplay mods I've reliably played in Unloved were Brutal Doom and Project Brutality (although in Project Brutality's case, it kept setting the weapon spawns to Classic Mode even when other modes were selected).
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by The Philosopher »

EnriksD8 wrote:
SLON wrote:
Thanks, man. Although, from personal experience, Unloved doesn't work with most gameplay mods. The only gameplay mods I've reliably played in Unloved were Brutal Doom and Project Brutality (although in Project Brutality's case, it kept setting the weapon spawns to Classic Mode even when other modes were selected).
Thats why you need to modify the Keyconf lump in the WAD because Unloved makes start with the Vainilla Doom player and not with a modified player actor in most cases.
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

I see. Thanks.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Nightshift v1.5 (23/05/20) - Language Support

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well, it's been 20 days since Nightshift hasn't really seen an update!

I don't have a lot to show, but i do want to keep it updated for you. Now the mod has support for three languages: French (thanks to Ac!d), Portuguese-Brazilian and english as usual =)

More translations can be possible, yes. Just need some time to study the languages. If you want to contribute, feel welcome to do so! All other changes are aesthetical, but add a bit to the game.

Download Nightshift 1.5!
Spoiler: Changelog
Have fun!
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Sat May 23, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ac!d

Re: Nightshift v1.5 (23/05/20) - Language Support

Post by Ac!d »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Now the mod has support for three languages: French (thanks to Ac!d), Portuguese-Brazilian and english as usual =)
Look, don't get me wrong, but the french translation is "so-so" ( it's not bad, it's pretty good for a start.) I will send you a PM for the fix. Keep going !

Return to “Gameplay Mods”