[RELEASE] [v1.1.2] Zrift - Chasm in Doom - LE - [Page 1]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HAL9000

Re: [RELEASE] ZRift - Chasm in Doom - Legacy Edition [v1.1.2

Post by HAL9000 »

[LOOKING FOR EXPERIENCED MAPPER OR MAPPERS]

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for experienced Doombuilder mapper or mappers willing to recreate and improve(if possible) Chasm the Rift levels exclusively for ZRIFT - Chasm in Doom mod.
I will provide map plans, 3d preview tool for preview of original maps, and textures.

Placing Things/decor/weapons/monsters will not be necessary, that will be added at the end.

Here is the sample gallery how the original maps look like: (I will give you actual map files)
https://imgur.com/a/nDlh1BP (BIG IMAGES)

Don't worry about the decor, map models, and other stuff...
I just need maps with lights and textures.
No deadline, when it's done...it's done.

If anyone is willing to help, please PM me.
Cheers!
Enjay

Re: [RELEASE] ZRift - Chasm in Doom - LE [v1.1.2] - Page 1

Post by Enjay »

Unfortunately, I know that I won't have the time for such a commitment. Shame, because I'm really enthusiastic about this project.

At least most of those map layouts, even the bigger ones, seem reasonably straight forward. Most of the major structures seem to conform to what looks like it might be a 64x64 grid. Anyone who knows their way around DoomBuilder should be able to get the basic layouts down reasonably quickly.

What would help is if the ability to set an image as the background existed in UDB existed as it does for many modelling programs. I don't think it's currently part of the program but if it was added (no idea about feasibility, but possibly worth asking) and you were able to provide top-down images of the maps, then a mapper could set the image as a background, align it to the grid and then quickly trace over the main shapes of the map in very quick time. Then it would just be a case of setting heights, adding moving stuff (doors, lifts etc) and adding details.improvements.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Thanks Enjay.
Yes maps are not hard to re-create or even to improve. I can provide floor plans, and I can even provide imported obj 64*64 floor plan grid into UDB. I'm asking for help because i don't have enough time for maps at the moment.
But if nobody will be interested in creating them I will try to push and create them after I'm done with 1.2patch.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

This is interesting stuff! I had never even heard of Chasm: The Rift before this, but the sort of "like Quake 1 but not" style appeals to me. It also sort of reminds me of Powerslave/Exhumed for some reason...maybe the animal-headed-humanoid enemies?

I have noticed however that Ballistic Helmets and Vests can be picked up even if your armour is full, wasting them.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

I will try to overhaul all of the decor meshes and stay faithful to the Chasm Vanilla look.

Example: New Barrel Models with new mesh, UV maps and texture layouts.
Old 120 poly / New 320 poly

Also..bonus :) Hexen/Heretic counterparts
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oh, I like that. I'm sure that someone will like the old style but those old octagonal ones really smacked of early 3D game models that had be utterly compromised in appearance to maintain the low poly-counts required for these very early 3D games to me. IMO, the new one looks great but is still very much in keeping with the game's aesthetic and probably looks a lot like the concept was in the original modeller's head.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

I have restored wizard boss from expansion, he was originally sitting on the chair, and missing back part of the model.
I have edited his mesh and made him bipedal. I have to animate him next..walk, run, attack, etc...
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Enjay wrote:Oh, I like that. I'm sure that someone will like the old style but those old octagonal ones really smacked of early 3D game models that had be utterly compromised in appearance to maintain the low poly-counts required for these very early 3D games to me. IMO, the new one looks great but is still very much in keeping with the game's aesthetic and probably looks a lot like the concept was in the original modeller's head.
Enjay, is it possible to use zscript magic to add option in the menu to switch between old/new models (enable/disable)?
I'm using this to switch between model spawns depending on what player class you pick:
Spoiler:
Maybe I could use something similar for HD/SD model switch?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm not as au fait with ZScript as I'd like to be - so I don't know how to do it. However, I am sure that there will be a way in ZScript for an actor to read a cvar and do a "Jump" accordingly. In fact, such a thing might even be possible in DECORATE.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Confirmed Update/Change:
I will change Pistol Model for Doom Class, New pistol will be available in the next update (v1.2.0)
Old Pistol was inspired by aliens resurrection ps1 game pistol btw.... New pistol fits Zrift better.

Comparison:

It looks good ingame :D
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Both look good. Personally I prefer the bigger, chunkier one but, like I said, both are good. :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Absolutely majestic. Some of the new stuff are exactly like in the original! How retrospective!
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Having played some more, I have some more feedback:

-The ammo for the Plasma Thrower looks really small/out of place compared to the other ammo pickups, which are all big and chunky.

-Explosive barrels seem to have more hitpoints than regular Doom barrels, making them hard to both set off on the spur of the moment when a monster is nearby, and achieve chain reactions of barrel explosions with. Could they be made a bit more fragile?

-The Sphinx boss that replaces the Cyberdemon is rather OP. The explosions from his regular fireballs can pass through cover, while the ground-hugging-homing fireball is completely impossible to avoid in maps that have no walls that go all the way from floor to ceiling. I imagine a map specifically designed for the Sphinx could give the player a fighting chance, but encountering him in a level intended for a vanilla Cyberdemon frequently left me with a battle impossible to win without cheating.

On a separate note regarding those Hexen/Heretic barrels; they really remind me of the barrels from Donkey Kong Country. Can we expect anthromorphic crocodiles hiding in them?
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Hi Tesculpture, Thanks for the feedback
Tesculpture wrote:Having played some more, I have some more feedback:

-The ammo for the Plasma Thrower looks really small/out of place compared to the other ammo pickups, which are all big and chunky.
I'm planning to completely replace Plasmathrower weapon view model and pickups with new improved model.
Tesculpture wrote:-Explosive barrels seem to have more hitpoints than regular Doom barrels, making them hard to both set off on the spur of the moment when a monster is nearby, and achieve chain reactions of barrel explosions with. Could they be made a bit more fragile?
Already changed that for 1.2.0 update
Tesculpture wrote:-The Sphinx boss that replaces the Cyberdemon is rather OP. The explosions from his regular fireballs can pass through cover, while the ground-hugging-homing fireball is completely impossible to avoid in maps that have no walls that go all the way from floor to ceiling. I imagine a map specifically designed for the Sphinx could give the player a fighting chance, but encountering him in a level intended for a vanilla Cyberdemon frequently left me with a battle impossible to win without cheating.
Fair point, Sphinx is pain in the ass, i will tweak Sphinx boss for 1.2.0 update
Tesculpture wrote:-On a separate note regarding those Hexen/Heretic barrels; they really remind me of the barrels from Donkey Kong Country. Can we expect anthromorphic crocodiles hiding in them?
Heh, not a bad idea for an easter egg :P ,
Those images above are just concepts and not yet confirmed for next updates. I will not add new stuff if people will not like the changes.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

I need help with Romero's head model replacement.

I have created texture but I'm pretty bad at modeling humans.
Is there anyone here willing to create low poly model for Romero's head based on my texturemap?

Example model:

TEXTUREMAP:
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”