Iron Assault Remake (Demo Update 2.5)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sherberttcat

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Mech Action in GZDoom

Post by sherberttcat »

Oh ho ho! I'm looking forward to this one!
ReformedJoe

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Mech Action in GZDoom

Post by ReformedJoe »

Here's a new gameplay video, showcasing the entire first mission.

More news below.
Spoiler:
Cherno

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Post by Cherno »

Very good! I think the mech sprites are pretty plain but if the original game was like this, what can you do? :)
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Cherno wrote:Very good! I think the mech sprites are pretty plain but if the original game was like this, what can you do? :)
I actually like the sprites. I agree that they are on the smaller side, and their palette is very limited (16 colors). Their being "plain" may have something to do with how I ripped them, since I assumed the game had only 1 play palette (an assumption I am now realizing is likely wrong).

A brief digression: IAs general graphics, wall and floor textures have their palette inside the graphics file. Game sprites pull from common palettes which are actually stored (as far as I can tell) inside the games executable. The palette I used to rip every sprite was one I pulled directly from the games running memory with a hex editor, and in some instances with some sprites it gives odd results.

Anyway, here's a preview of a few other mechs:
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Unbelievable...that THAT that is GREAT ....PLEASE ..if it gets released or a demo I want to show it on my channel ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXORaP ... 6X0WTfbbSw
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

ReformedJoe wrote:
Cherno wrote:Very good! I think the mech sprites are pretty plain but if the original game was like this, what can you do? :)
I actually like the sprites. I agree that they are on the smaller side, and their palette is very limited (16 colors). Their being "plain" may have something to do with how I ripped them, since I assumed the game had only 1 play palette (an assumption I am now realizing is likely wrong).

A brief digression: IAs general graphics, wall and floor textures have their palette inside the graphics file. Game sprites pull from common palettes which are actually stored (as far as I can tell) inside the games executable. The palette I used to rip every sprite was one I pulled directly from the games running memory with a hex editor, and in some instances with some sprites it gives odd results.

Anyway, here's a preview of a few other mechs:
It looks like the shadows would need to be much darker; Do these really look like this in the original game? they would look much better with a severe contrast incrase, methinks! :ugeek:
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote: ...if it gets released or a demo I want to show it on my channel ...
Of course!
Cherno wrote:...
It looks like the shadows would need to be much darker; Do these really look like this in the original game? they would look much better with a severe contrast incrase, methinks! :ugeek:
Its very close:

But now that you mention it, it wouldn't be too difficult to simply modify the palette to have more contrast. I'll think on this.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

It's been a while, and of course as soon as I typed the words "Demo Soon" I got a little burned out on the project. Such is life.

I'm back at it now though. See below for details, if you so desire.
Spoiler:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

It looks great! Please confirm that the window textures are brightmaps :wub:
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Cherno wrote:It looks great! Please confirm that the window textures are brightmaps
Thanks. Yes, in this case the windows were an obvious usage for brightmaps. There is also some indoor stuff, and I think I'll make a variant of the streetlights that have them as well.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Damn this is pure genius, can't wait to put my hands on this and play it!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oooooh Nocturnal Mission. Hope my mech have night vision or flares to lighten up the enemy base, because i'll need those!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Ozymandias81 wrote:Damn this is pure genius, can't wait to put my hands on this and play it!
Thanks for the interest!
Captain J wrote:Hope my mech have night vision or flares to lighten up the enemy base...
Nightvision is planned. Flares are an interesting idea as well.

Anyhow, here's a really quick update:
Spoiler:
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

This looks really cool. I'm loving the loadout GUI and explosion effects. Nice!
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This is looking fantastic, I really like the building destruction

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”