[WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t [updated 4-12-2020]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: [WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t [updated 3-10-2020]

Post by DoomKrakken »

MikeyScoots wrote:Bumping because I'm trying to reach you about possibly combining our projects together or figuring something out. Please see my hell unleashed thread and contact me via FB page or on here if possible. TY.
You'd have better luck contacting the guy via PM. No need to shill your project here.
MikeyScoots
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t [updated 3-10-2020]

Post by MikeyScoots »

DoomKrakken wrote:
MikeyScoots wrote:Bumping because I'm trying to reach you about possibly combining our projects together or figuring something out. Please see my hell unleashed thread and contact me via FB page or on here if possible. TY.
You'd have better luck contacting the guy via PM. No need to shill your project here.
I cant pm anyone on here, Idk why.
RoastBeefo

Re: [WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t [updated 4-12-2020]

Post by RoastBeefo »

Updated OP with a take on Map 04 - The Focus. I'm really glad you guys are enjoying it so far!
Kills_Alone wrote:I forgot to mention there is something in the wad conflicting with the UDV HUD. When I had UDV loaded my character moved way too fast and could not jump, any idea what could be causing this issue? Happened on both releases I played.
That's odd. There shouldn't be anything in the wad that affects the player class, would you mind sharing what your mod load order was?
dawnbreez wrote:Where did you get all those slick sign/graffiti patches from? Can I borrow them?
Thanks, I made them myself. I'd prefer it if you waited until the project was finished before using any assets from it, but it's not too big of a deal.
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

No problem:

Code: Select all

"C:\games\Brutal FreeDOOM\gzdoom.exe" -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file brutalv21.pk3 d2rebuildt.wad simplehudaddons.pk3 AltDHTP_Hellbound.pk3 LP.pk3 BD2.pk3 "(GZDoom) Liquid Texture Pack V1.3.pk3" "LTP V1.3 Shader pack.pk3" "GZDB LTP V1.3 Resource File..pk3" UDV_v2.12b_A_BASE.pk3 UDV_v2.12b_B_VISOR_Alt_2.pk3 UDV_v2.12b_D_MISC_FONT_B_DisableMenuFont.pk3
And I tried a few alterations such as removing most of the addons and order of a few files. Looking at that shortcut, I now place simplehudaddons.pk3 at the ending. Just updated to a slightly newer version of the UDV HUD (v2.13) but AFAIK it was just to fix the version number, so I'll let you know if I encounter an issue this time. I don't think this has been an issue for me before.

BTW, what version of GZDoom do you use? I alternate between v3.7.2 and v4.3.3 right now.

EDIT: Still happening in the new release. This time I tried loading each level manually from the console (map map##). The problem only happens on MAP01.

I like how you have the rox secret switch with the laser. This is amazing how you've merged Builds realism into DOOM.

One issue I encountered is the wall that explodes after acquiring the blue key, it doesn't trigger. Its fine in vanilla. I don't know why this happens but scripts tied to objects like keys don't work in BD, I've been told there might be something I can change in GZDoom's settings but I've never come across such a setting. If I recall correctly it has something to do with key staying or not like in co-op play. I know this isn't really the place to ask but I figured I might as well mention it. For now I can fake it with a line def near the key.

Last edited by Kills_Alone on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge

Post by Judge »

Love it. Looks good so far.

Map-wise, reminds me a similar project from years ago. I can't remember the name of the fellow, but I think he made it to about Map 10, and then we never heard from him again...
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Spoiler:
Jokes aside, those maps are very impressive and great to play through.
However, the mirrors in the restrooms right to the beginning of MAP02 are indestructible.

I'll look forwards to seeing it complete.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

Music is missing?
DoubleCakes

Post by DoubleCakes »

Anyone else having trouble loading a saved game? I'm running gzDoom and updated recently and when I try to load a saved game with the Re-Build-t wad, it crashes.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have just played the first level to check the general quality of this and find myself quite pleased. You can still recognize the old levels, but they are pimped so much everything feels new. Also cool is the idea to connect levels without any loading times.

I'm also definitely getting the Build/Duke vibe from this, supported by colored lighting, explosions and jumping sequences. Once this is finished with music and everything, I'm absolutely signing up for a full playthrough!
Takuat

Post by Takuat »

Oh man awesome! I was getting kinda scared there that this'd be one of those projects that would be lost to time.
I'm really digging the inclusion of alternate pathways like vents ala the stuff you'd see in Duke3D, and the new shading effects you put in Map01
Spoiler:
DoubleCakes

Post by DoubleCakes »

I just finished the first batch of levels and they were top notch. The way they've been expanded, retextured, and upgraded is really cool. There were lots of moments where it would take me a couple seconds to realize what classic room a remade environment was representing, only because this wad is so good at taking the abstract geometries of Doom's classic levels and turning them into real locations.
slipcase

Post by slipcase »

great job so far! definitely going to keep an eye on this
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I haven't been around the Doom community too long, or played too many custom maps...but holy hell I love this mappack like no other so far, both the combining of levels and also massively expanding them to be their own things entirely is just amazing, plus combining them with NTMAI makes for an amazing combo, keep going, I am incredibly excited to see the next levels!
Innrex

Post by Innrex »

Very nice mapset. Of course, I played it with NMTAI, and I agree with Enjay. It doesn't feel quite like a build engine game, it's still Doom, but it has a unique style. I didn't encounter any noticeable bugs, but I think some outside areas had too many decorative items (I have a really shitty computer). That said though, I really liked the posters on wall, little things like that. Definetly helps it feel more like a build engine game. I don't know a lot about map design, but if all levels have this quality, I'd give it a solid 4/5.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

This is AWESOME. The custom assets really land in that sweet spot between Build engines' "realistic but jokey" feel and Doom's stylized dreaminess. I really hope you make more progress with this project!

Return to “Levels”