Samsara: Extra Heroes (Version C2) + ExMixer (0.81)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ltmajordude
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Samsara: Extra Heroes (Version C) + ExMixer (0.8)

Post by Ltmajordude »

Not all characters have an instagib weapon and I heard that instagib won't be supported anyway.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Honestly as much as I love the Strife class mostly, I kind of thought it should have better improvements with it.
Like one being his stat fixes in servers where his accuracy and HP do not like to constantly hold between levels which can be a waste playing him somewhat.
Another is picking up armor like he does in the game, I mean unless it would be for balance reasons then I mean at least make it one or two of each armor maybe?
Also at least have the Sigil of the one god upgraded ONLY by picking up consecutive mauler + Sigil weapons. But even be able to swap sigil pieces so you can use 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 when you want.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Been messing around with the various heroes in Compendium the last few days and having a blast! Congrats on the release, and making such a fun mod. :D

That said, I've noticed some minor issues here and there with the mod that I wanted to report:
  1. No matter what load order I use for the mod, GZDoom spits out a bunch of errors to the console. This is using Samsara and Extra Heroes by themselves, and various combos of Samsara's mod support .pk3 and the Extra Heroes patch. FWIW, I'm using GZDoom 4.3.3, and I haven't noticed any serious issues with the mod despite these warnings.
  2. Sometimes, random enemy sprites will appear on the screen, obscuring the hud. Other times, random enemy sprites appear on the minimap. Restarting the game usually fixes this issue.
  3. Kyle Katarn's shields behave strangely. Green armor protects Katarn from all damage, but blue armor works like normal. I know Katarn's shields protected him from all damage in his native game, but I'm wondering if blue armor should give the player the shield instead of the green armor pickup. Disregard! This time green armor worked normally. May be a bug?
  4. Some of Gordon Freeman's weapons don't respect autoaim, notably the Gauss cannon and the RPG. Not a huge issue given Gordon's native game had freelook, but something to consider.
  5. Snarks don't feel like an appropriate replacement for the berserk pack on that note. I feel like a combo of satchel charges, laser trip mines, and snarks are a better substitute for what the berserk pack offers.
  6. On a final Gordon related note, the Opposing Force weapon sprites look pretty bad. I'd consider replacing them with models or high-res sprites.
  7. More of an aesthetic concern, but while I understand why you gave Powerslave's Jon a shotgun, the sprite doesn't match the rest of his weapons. I almost feel like the grenades might be a better replacement for the shotgun, but then there'd be a hole in his arsenal. Not sure what to suggest as a replacement sprite, however. :X
  8. Bitterman and Gordon's footstep sounds seemed tied to their walk animation rather than their velocity. This can cause their footstep sounds to play after you've come to a complete stop.
I haven't had a chance to play as every hero on the roster, but what I have played is fantastic! I love all the oddball choices, too, like the LDF Commando and the Cybermage. Definitely looking forward to future releases and fixes, and if you're open for hero suggestions, I'd love to see the Time Commando from Chasm.

Edit:
Notice a few other issues since my last session.
  1. The muzzle flash for Gordon's MP5 doesn't respect the player's view height or aim. It seems to fire in a fixed spot in front of him.
  2. Kyle's weapons feel underpowered compared to other heroes. Damage for the Stormtrooper rifle needs to buffed, and the Repeater doesn't fire fast enough.
  3. A lot of Kyle's projectiles collide with walls. This makes dealing with ranged enemies with anything other than the Repeater or Bryar pistol a pain.
Khodoque

Post by Khodoque »

Since Lo Wang's weapon 2 is Grenade Launcher, picking up shotguns dropping from sergeants gives him obscene amounts of Ammo 3. Is this intended? I think it would be more appropriate to switch Riot Gun and Grenade Launcher around, so GL would be obtained from placed SSGs, which are much more rare.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Having poked around with Kyle Katarn's arsenal more, I noticed his weapon order doesn't match the weapon's roles in Dark Forces. Balancing an arsenal is tricky, but I think the following order might be better suited for his weaponry:
  • The fists, Autocannon, Mortar Gun and Thermal Detonators remain unchanged.
  • Slot 1: Bryar Pistol - Same slot, but perhaps add the charge shot from later Dark Forces entry as the secondary?
  • Slot 2: Fusion Cutter - Given the amount of ammo this uses just to match the super shotgun, it makes more sense to put it in the shotgun slot.
  • Slot 3: Concussion Rifle - May need some rebalancing, but this feels much more appropriate as a super shotgun replacement.
  • Slot 4: Stormtrooper Rifle - Damage output and accuracy better matches the chaingun. Perhaps a slower, more accurate primary fire, with a faster, less accurate alt fire ala Jedi Outcast?
  • Slot 6: Repeater Rifle - The damage output and ammo consumption is most like the plasma rifle. IIRC, it also fires slightly faster in Dark Forces.
If nothing else, I'd rebalance the Stormtrooper Rifle. It's not a good replacement for the shotgun, poor accuracy aside. :p
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

So I've noticed at least one class is not fun to play as in Heretic E1M9. Doomguy.

The only weapons that work on the Spectrals there are your pistol, fist, and chainsaw. Fighting an army of fire golems with those is not fun.
kinker31
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by kinker31 »

Here's an unoffical challenge idea for any of your that are interested:

UV Zorch-Max!

The Basic Idea: Using Chex Warrior, and/or any other class capable of handing Zorch weaponry with stats balanced to match (e.g damage penalty, defense buff), fufill the same goals as UV-Max (Ultra-Violence, All Secrets, All Kills, Pistol Slot Start), but with the added condition that you leave 10% of the monster count in the level as corpses and not, say, alive in the Cereal Federation and being actively studied. It's also preferred you not explode too much barrels as well, 'cause not only corpses are messy and hard to clean up, so is radioactive waste and used nukage. If you're able to fufill all these goals, the level can be considered "zorchable". If you're able to leave behind no corpse and leave no barrel touched, you get the honor of being able to prove a level is "Zorch Only".

Ideally, is the challenge/mode is to be implemented at some point during Samsara EX's development, perhaps the weapons should look like zorcher replicas of anything that doesn't come from Chex Quest as a way of letting the player know the mode is enabled, and that they should either turn off the mode or go for UW Zorchmax if they wanted to turn it on. I can understand not wanting to implement all of that, being almost every single weapon implemented into Samsara would have to have alternate, probably custom-made Zorchmax sprites/models, not to mention all the other values and quirks that'd have to be sorted out to even make the mode possible, but if I ever do get spritemaking talent and/or code skills that don't suck, I'd love to help out!
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

retronutcase wrote:So I've noticed at least one class is not fun to play as in Heretic E1M9. Doomguy.

The only weapons that work on the Spectrals there are your pistol, fist, and chainsaw. Fighting an army of fire golems with those is not fun.
IIRC, it's been that way since the early days of Samsara. I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed, honestly.

Sorry to harp on Kyle Katarn some more, but I realized most of his weapons don't alert monsters. Is that intentional?

Edit:
Noticed an issue with Strifeguy's flame grenades: if you try to use them when you only have 1 rocket ammo left, it simply consumes the remaining ammo and does nothing.

Edit 2:
Chex Warrior suffers from an unfortunate bug introduced in Extra Heroes: killing Lost Souls spawns more Lost Souls. This makes Lost Souls effectively impossible to kill as Chex Warrior, unless you like the idea of a map being overrun by angry, flaming skulls.

Edit 3: Apologies if these bug reports come off as negative! I'm really enjoying this mod, and I appreciate all the hard work put into it.
Last edited by Snarboo on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khodoque

Post by Khodoque »

I have another Wang problem - if I pick up Uzi, it does not uses ammo at all, or sometimes it does, but reloads after every shot. If I pick up and wield the second one, then it starts using ammo, but after 100 shots it reloads and then starts reloading after every shot. Testing it on latest GZDoom.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

Looks like "Samsara Hero Soundtrack" are unaviable via link... :oops:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

From First Post wrote:Samsara Hero Soundtrack or Alternate
Shiny Metagross

Post by Shiny Metagross »

A quick update on the project:

I have been uploading new patches for Extra Heroes and Mixer, currently version 5 for Extra Heroes and Version 4 for mixer. I am also aware of the ammo issues with Lo Wang, but they will take some time to fix as they are GZDoom exclusive issues.

Here is the current changelog for the Extra Heroes patch:
Spoiler:
And the current changelog for the mixer patch.
Spoiler:
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Cool, Though I hope Strife will be patched out in the future because I did say he is a bit buggy/unbalanced a tab bit at the moment.
Shiny Metagross

I have yet another patch today, this one has a lot more changes and should fix most if not all reported bugs. The changelog is as follows for the new patches:

Extra Heroes Patch 6:
Global
-Implemented Crash Debugger to help find the source of multiplayer crashes on suspected scripts

Ranger
-Fixed nailgun projectiles going through walls

Duke
-Fixed Jetpack loop continuing to play when turned off online
-Implemented remaining monster functions to misc characters

Caleb

Strifeguy

Lo Wang
-Fixed ammo not being deducted from some weapon in GZDoom

Freeman

Leonard

Bitterman

ExMixer Patch 5:
Half Life
-Hopefully fixed HECU Sarge broken death animation
-Fixed Stukabat going invisible briefly in a pain state

Quake 2
-Cut back A_Warp calls on enemies from 5 to 1, so bandwidth usage of that function should take up 5 times less'

Edit 4/16/20: Looks like I failed to realize I was reducing the A_Warp calls incorrectly, I should've done it right the first time but now it should be fixed. Only got a mixer patch this time, the changelog is as follows:
ExMixer patch Version 6:
Quake 2
-Cut back on A_Warp calls incorrectly since that means little when the warps move a small amount in 0 tics, so now they move 5 times more, additionally found a way for warps to be run on client
-Changed lasers to use additive renderstyle
-Thickened widow form 2 beam
Shiny Metagross

Hey y'all. This here is the weekend patch, which includes some optimizations, bug fixes, and new features! The changelog is as follows:

Extra Heroes Patch 7

Global
-Implemented more debugging
-Added strafe functionality to Wolf3d movement, Wolf3d movement now works online as well
-Modifed the kill counters to include a bar counter item so a bar can be added for heroes that have ally cell phones
-Optimized kills script to function for the "killcountbar" inventory

Duke
-Modified top bar to include uniques from Samsara regen

Parias
-Added a progress bar for ally cell phone

IPFreeley

Eleena

Mooman

Doom64
-Modified sprite scales

Leonard
-Added alcohol and gut system
-2 cvars added to client menu, 1 for allowing alcohol and gut system, the other for controlling whether health items are pickup exclusive or a mix of pickups and inventory (pickups are technically pork rinds and goo goo cluster)
-Optimized motorcycle script in order to make it easier
-Modified the HUD drastically so gut and alcohol is visible along with "yer stuff"

ExMixer Patch 7

Global
-Updated menudef that includes Redneck gut and alcohol enabler/disabler
-Added multipliers for some half life enemies
-Added multiplier capabilities with Quake 2 enemies
-Added multipliers for RoTT low guards laying down

Return to “Gameplay Mods”