[GZDoom SP Map] Suspicious Journey

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
leodoom85

[GZDoom SP Map] Suspicious Journey

Post by leodoom85 »

Just a casual map. Done.
Nah. Here I present a WIP map that I had it saved more than one year and this needed to see the light once and for all.

This is a singleplayer map that's only compatible with GZDoom (I tried to make it compatible with Zandronum but, it also uses attenuated lights and setting scripts with the Actor enters sector thing is bugged if it's flagged to activate it once) and uses textures from OTEX (it's bundled in the file) along with some sprites and a decoration. It features a techbase that it'll take around 20 minutes for a casual player to clear the map at 100%. You can jump and crouch as much as you want. I tried everything to clean bugs and other minor stuff that players can catch like misalignments and unused textures/HOM.

A tip for players. Save ammo, health and do infighting. Should have enough resources to rip and tear those sorry bastards in that base and look for the secrets as well!!!
Here goes the promised images of the map.
Spoiler:
Time for the info, credits and the download link.

Map name: Suspicious Journey
Replaces: Map 01
Textures used: OTEX (added to the file) and FIREBLU!!! (only vanilla texture used)
Music: Pyre by Psyrus
Credits:
-Ukiro for the aforementioned texture pack.
-Psyrus for the midi track.
-Clayton, aka Clay, for the nice tree/bush sprites. (Cool ones indeed)
-Gothic and Tormentor667 for the UAC holograms decoration and sprite edition.
-Mechadon for the night sky found in his Box o' Skies
-Special thanks to Misty because this map was made originally for her recent birthday (it has a major difference in the ending).

And lastly, the download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbx6xapi7k6fp ... y.pk3?dl=1
Have fun with the map and I'd appreciate feedback and constructive criticism.
Last edited by leodoom85 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_mental_

Re: [GZDoom SP Map] Suspicious Journey

Post by _mental_ »

This is a a very cool map. There are too many archviles in my opinions, most of people like the challenge though. Personally, I would trade archviles for more secrets ;)

Regarding WIP status, this map looks pretty solid. Wandering around for a while I managed to find one spot that can be qualified as texture misalignment. It's not too ugly, just looks a bit off.
Screenshot_Doom_20191109_113337.jpg
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@_mental_
That's not a proper misalignment. Just different texture placement and I will not trade the poor archies. They have feelings :p
Might change the texturing a bit...
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Map has been updated. Same link as before. Also added the images in the OP
The most noticeable change is the difficulty in the blue key area. Now there are FIVE waves, including archviles and ammo is also available per each wave.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Updated the map once again. Camera cutscene should go back to the player's FOV properly now.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

No new monsters or items, correct? Just curious.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Nope. All vanilla
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

Pretty enjoyable & chaotic, some footage with BDv21:
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

Damn im stuck at "1 more to get the red key"
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

YasuoProjectX wrote:Damn im stuck at "1 more to get the red key"
There are 2 switches. One at the first lift at the right path from the beginning, then you can find a switch at your left.
The other switch is at the big techbase area after the cave, where the plasma gun and the chased soulsphere is, behind a couple of bars.
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

That was a fun one. My one complaint is that the elevator-pit with the first red key switch breaks the flow (I don't sprint all the time, so I fall in, and then I have to wait), and, as a solution to an intersection with some verticality, is a bit too "3d floors are impossible in Doom" era for a map as modern-looking as this one. Throwing a lift sector in a path to create an intersection was always a very abstract solution to Doom's limited geometrical capabilities, but we're no longer bound by those, and there's no sense not using the features available if you're using attenuated lights and UDMF anyway.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Don't mind waiting 3-5 seconds for a lift though and I don't consider a flow breaking, so be sure to sprint all the time. The solution to this is that I can nullify the lift activation above by adding a script when the 2 switches are pressed and keep the actions intact below in case that you or anyone else dares to live in that little space.

Lifts are still useful in this so-called modern standard Doom mapping.
shibuya

Post by shibuya »

This map was great fun with Siren! Nice work!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”