Ist there anybody still using Doomsday-hires texture packs?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Ist there anybody still using Doomsday-hires texture packs?

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm asking because the support code for them is a piece of shit I'd really like to toss out. This was added at a time when Doomsday packs were the only available resource for hires replacements, but to my knowledge everything out there today uses more robust means to define hires textures. Or is there still some pack left depending on Doomsday's folder structure?
They should be easy to recognise by using names like "jdoom", "jhexen", etc for their subfolders.
Graf Zahl

Re: Ist there anybody still using Doomsday-hires texture pac

Post by Graf Zahl »

So, does 53 views and no response mean that nobody has any interest in this legacy feature?

It's something I'd really like to remove because it integrates very poorly in the texture management system.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I've not used it.

Is it possible to reimplement it as a layer on top of the existing texture manager, rather than relying on hooks deep within?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, surely. But it's only worth doing if there's actually some use. The main problem with the current implementation is that it makes the data returned by a texture object unreliable which I do not like. The same is true for the scaler - optimally that should also be handled outside the texture object by the code that processed the data afterward.

There's no pressing need for change, I was merely interested if the feature was actually used by somebody. But considering that Doomsday has become an even more insular project since 2005 I do not really see that much overlap in users there. I'm also not sure if those old conventions still apply to today's version.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I don't even play with high res textures. :mrgreen:
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mjr4077au »

With DHTP being available, I don't see the need. I think it's a fairly complete texture pack and is mature.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:I don't even play with high res textures. :mrgreen:

Me neither. The feature is still there, though - but I assume that these days all relevant texture packs come in a form that's more compatible with GZDoom than this old hack feature.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Judging by the latest version of DHTP, not only is there a ZDoom formatted build, but the Doomsday version is incompatible with GZDoom. Based on that, it seems like there's a good chance it outlived its usefulness.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

OK then, in this case I remove the old code, it seems it has indeed outlived its usefulness.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:So, does 53 views and no response mean that nobody has any interest in this legacy feature?
No, it means that despite you being Graf Zahl, sometimes people will not respond for a variety of reasons. :3:

This isn't a mutually exclusive thing.

I was one of those 53 views. I just didn't had any comment at the time. That does not mean i don't have any interest, just that i had yet to formulate a response.
Graf Zahl wrote:OK then, in this case I remove the old code, it seems it has indeed outlived its usefulness.
The only thing i'd like to suggest to this is to keep a link or a reference as to where this texture pack can be found instead, for those who still want to play with these. Some people may prefer the nuances it brings, but i reckon it would be a niche given DHTP exists.

That's why i suggest leaving a redirect or reference in for those ''just in case'' errr... cases. :wink:
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Never used it myself either. I think the Doomsday models were used with, well, Doomsday, rather than GZDoom.

I've seen people using upscale packs, but never anyone using models, so I doubt it ever was a popular feature to begin with. That being said, if it was so poorly implemented, can it not be re-implemented in a cleaner, safer, saner fashion? Watch it get completely nuked and people using it pop out of nowhere...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This isn't about models. But the entire thing is moot anyway, considering that Doomsday has changed its rules over the last 15 years. The code was written for packs targeting Doomsday 1.7 or 1.8 which has been obsolete for a looooong time.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So it's gone now. I surely won't miss it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what it is... er, was? Is it the old Textures folder inside the GZDoom folder method with a bunch of loose texture replacements in it in various sub-folders?

If so, I have a folder like that, but never really used it (disabled it - but could easily re-enable if I ever wanted to).

It doesn't bother me that it's gone and, if I really need to, I can reconfigure it to use a better method if I ever feel the need to use those particular textures. I'm not sure it correctly sorted out the FLAT and TEX versions of STEP1 and STEP2 anyway.

[edit]
Actually, it did cope with the STEP1, STEP2 problem.

Which is more than can be said for the DHTP that I just downloaded:

Not sure if that's a problem with the pack or the system. I'll have to look deeper to find out. No time right now though.
[/edit]

[edit2]
OK, had a quick look. In the DHTP folders Doom1 has entries for STEP1 and STEP2 that look like the FLAT versions from the original Doom.
But it only has them, that's why they appear where the TEXTURE version is used in a map (as per my screenshot from E1M1 above).

In Doom2, the same problem exists, but the other way around. It has STEP1 and STEP2 entries,
but they look like the TEXTURE versions from the original IWAD, so they look bad when the floor version is needed.

MAP09 Doom2

Unfortunately, I don't know the system well enough to know if there is some built-in way of resolving this that the mod just hasn't used, or if it's something that GZDoom doesn't (currently) have a solution for?
[/edit2]
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I am not using it.

Return to “General”