Project S.I.D.E. - A Complete Overhaul PLUS Upscale

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kazudra

Project S.I.D.E. - A Complete Overhaul PLUS Upscale

Post by Kazudra »

Update 5: The Relaunch.
Smooth. Immersive. Detailed. Extended.

What if Doom was presented like a Retro-Throwback FPS with added modern touches yet... does nothing to affect the gameplay? What If I threw in a Full-on HD Pack along with it?
It felt like forever since the last update. Funny because this is intended to be the last update, I've done everything I wanted to do with this project and honestly, It's been a good experience working on it.

Thank you to everyone involved, everyone that has allowed me to Shamelessly (Ask for permission and use) Everything.

The prerequisites tho;
Be sure to set Sprite Clipping to ALWAYS
Invert Rendering off (Compatability)
Entirely preference, but it'll feel nice to have bobbing speed at 1.5.

What's New?
- BACK TO PURE 2X BABY!
- Upscaled Graphics now an Optional Add-on.
- First Person Death animations.
- Variants of Monsters.
- More Weapon Switching animation.
- Different Builds. (All-in-one, Basic, Soundless)
- HD Pack derived to be an add-on so you can play Crispy whenever.
- Layered Effects.
- New weapon frames.
- Vanilla Monsters.
- MELTING CORPSES!
- Improved Blood.
- Nashgore compatability (Bits now sink in liquids)
- A Fun Addition to Maps 31 and 32 for you Inglorious Bastards.
- Invulnerability reflects health state
- Variations in Items
- Variations in timings with Animated items.
- There's just about an option for everything.

Some added Gameplay stuff.
- Hard Mode Rebalance.
- Burst Rifle (intended to replace Chaingun sniping, carful though this one's a gameplay tweak).
- Zombie Shuffle, All Hit-scan Monsters are randomized; so You'll see the Chaingunner in Doom 1.

THE DOWNLOADS

Complete Edition
Tilt++, Nashgore, Universal Weapon Sway, Troocullers, Smooth Textures, All the brightmaps, Fullscreen HUDS Built-in, Fine-tuned to just work out of the box.
For those who want the easy, intended experience.
Project S.I.D.E. -Complete Edition -

-Standard Edition-
Modular Approach; DSFix Built-in, All brightmaps are Built From Frightnight's Brightmaps Plus, Gore By Nash.
For those who who choose their preferences.
Project S.I.D.E.
Updated Brightmaps + Smooth
Compatable Nashgore
Smooth Textures
Brightmaps For Textures + Smooth

-Alternatively-
Vanilla Sounds mode, All Sounds (that aren't togglable) Are removed.

THE UPSCALE!
Make Sure this is last in any loading order.
Project SIDE 2x

// Screeshots//
Last edited by Kazudra on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Kazudra

Re: Neural Smooth Doom

Post by Kazudra »

This is a complete overhaul of Vanilla Doom exclusively in terms of presentation. I hope you'll enjoy the hard work I put into making it all work in harmony.
Spoiler: Old Description
Update IV
Left and Returned from Burnout.
Wall Textures, Effects, Decals, and Projectiles were bumped up to 4x to 1:1 the scale of 2x Sprites and Flats.
Volume Slider was Added for Footsteps; many additional sounds have been tweaked, changed, adjusted, and given toggles.
Adjustments to Hit-Scanner Animations; The attack telegraph should be clean and clear.
64 Weapons have been restored. Be sure to disable extended weapons in universal weapon sway if you'd use them.
A Ton of Bug-fixes were performed.
Smooth Addons and Clean Skyboxes were Merged with the Core Neural Textures.
Like-wise all of the Texture Bright-maps were Merged.
Nash's Gore Mod has also been put up-to-date.
Spoiler: update 3
Spoiler: update 2

The Download Order is also the Recommended load Order;
Neural Texture pack; Skyboxes and Smooth textures merged in.
Smooth Doom Special Edition, Update 4
Nash's Gore Mod. Updated. Upscaled. Essential.

Optional Additions
(Doom 1+2 Only) Animated M_Doom's by PandaDoomer, Upscaled.
Smooth Brightmaps (More on the way) For Sprites
Smooth Texture Brightmaps, Merged from Smooth Addons.

I Recommend....
Sprite Shadow,
Troo Cullers,
Fullscreen Statusbar Mod
Universal Weapon Sway; It's almost if I made most of the weapons work for it already.
Project Doom Remixed Midis
to complete the build.

There's a long list of Credits;
hidfan for Neural Doom 2x
Gifty for Smooth Doom and Smooth Textures
Darkcrafter, Special Thanks; Weapon Redraws which are no longer the basis or being used, but it did basically birth this project.
Doomenator for the Plasma decal fix
NightFright for a good chunk of brightmaps, Weapons, the will to see this project's completion
Rachael and Enjay for Liquids
kcghost for a good chunk of graphics used in editing (and some re-used)
00_Zombie_00 for a few Alternate Deaths
acridAxid and EmperorGrieferus; providing bugfixes and some... lost content (as well as content)
osjclatchford for Decoration Variants
John Romero for Decoration Variants
Nash for Gore, various brightmaps
SeanTheBermanator for Doom Sound Bulb (recently built-in)
Apogee Software for a... few sounds
Probably missing a ton of people, there's been a LOT added.

...And You!

*Screenshots are from an Ancient Build, Does not quite reflect the current version
Spoiler:
Last edited by Kazudra on Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Not sure how to load this. After Smooth Doom, right? Also, why are there two downloads?
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

VGA wrote:Not sure how to load this. After Smooth Doom, right? Also, why are there two downloads?
I've updated.... everything. All Upscales have been merged with their base mod and the new description suggests load order.
VGA

Re: Neural Smooth Doom (Massive update)

Post by VGA »

I loaded all 7 in the right order and I get stuttering in MAP01 when running into the big cave with the imps. It's the same if I disable Nashgore.

Well, interesting anyway. There's this uncanny valley feeling you get with some sprites, like the Chaingun :D
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

VGA wrote:I loaded all 7 in the right order and I get stuttering in MAP01 when running into the big cave with the imps. It's the same if I disable Nashgore.

Well, interesting anyway. There's this uncanny valley feeling you get with some sprites, like the Chaingun :D
Feel free to leave any criticism; I very much appreciate it because I'm mostly doing test environments as I go.
Oddly enough I did catch this in testing; turns out Script texturing can leave very nice results... but they come at the cost of performance; The new approach is going to be pre-baked textures and an animdef.
I'm also looking into a HUGE frame-hit in the courtyard, Seeing where I can improve in performance.
wardo

Post by wardo »

I was looking for an updated version of Smooth Doom, since it became my favorite mod. I found the motherlode instead. Everything here looks incredible when bundled together, really nice job.
One question: how do I use this double HUD that I'm seeing in the screenshots?
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

wardo wrote:I was looking for an updated version of Smooth Doom, since it became my favorite mod. I found the motherlode instead. Everything here looks incredible when bundled together, really nice job.
One question: how do I use this double HUD that I'm seeing in the screenshots?
Fullscreen HUD's by NightFright, I think I'll bundle-in some essential mods into the base.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Why do the high resolution skyboxes look so janky and blurry ingame? The originals are really sharp, but these look poorly upscaled.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Pretty nice compilation.
Just noticed that the BFG once being fired refills Plasma Ammo in this Smooth Doom Build.
HDDOOM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by HDDOOM »

The bug must be on your end it works fine here. I have made hd black gloves which I could upload provided no one objects, Also any eta on the brightmaps I have been watching and waiting for updates. I've also started converting doom 8x sprite heads to esergan lookin sweet, so far1st zombie is finished took two days . Looking forward to any updates that are made by this project. Keep up the good work :D
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Scuba Steve wrote:Why do the high resolution skyboxes look so janky and blurry ingame? The originals are really sharp, but these look poorly upscaled.
Done.
BerserkerNoir wrote:Pretty nice compilation.
Just noticed that the BFG once being fired refills Plasma Ammo in this Smooth Doom Build.
Also Done.
HDDOOM wrote:The bug must be on your end it works fine here. I have made hd black gloves which I could upload provided no one objects, Also any eta on the brightmaps I have been watching and waiting for updates. I've also started converting doom 8x sprite heads to esergan lookin sweet, so far1st zombie is finished took two days . Looking forward to any updates that are made by this project. Keep up the good work :D
Basically half done.

New update is up; The Neural Upscale and Nash's Gore mod are unchanged, don't have to re-download those.

Also, This is for those who want JUST an upscaled Smooth Doom without all the crazy features
pikio96

Re: Neural Smooth Doom (ANOTHER Massive update)

Post by pikio96 »

Wow, excellent update! The Doom 64 weapons look pretty incredible. I really appreciate a lot of the other features you have included! This is turning into my gameplay mod of choice!
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I wasn't impressed with the Skyboxes, so I worked with phredreek to convert the files... and I had to completely redraw the Doom2 Episode 3 sky. I'm still not particularly happy with it, but it's much clearer than any other attempt... so unless Ezepov wants to return and remake all the skyboxes using the higher quality source materials, this might be the best we can do. The rest are OK, and should be even sharper.

Cleaner Skyboxes
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Scuba Steve wrote:I wasn't impressed with the Skyboxes, so I worked with phredreek to convert the files... and I had to completely redraw the Doom2 Episode 3 sky. I'm still not particularly happy with it, but it's much clearer than any other attempt... so unless Ezepov wants to return and remake all the skyboxes using the higher quality source materials, this might be the best we can do. The rest are OK, and should be even sharper.

Cleaner Skyboxes
This is the Canon upscale.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”