The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by sinisterseed »

irontusk341 wrote:im so bored right now because theres millions of things i want to do and i cant do them all at once.
This is why time management and prioritizing is important, otherwise it's too easy to fall into the trap of "the day is not long enough to do the things I want".

I sometimes run into that issue as well, and learning to better organize my activities helps enormously.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: gross out alert, but...
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Captain J wrote:
Spoiler: gross out alert, but...
That happens when i take NSAID tablets.. didnt bother me 20 years ago, but now my body is sensitive to them...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Just saw this:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/goty.php? ... egory_id=7

Looks like "ZDoom (GZDoom)" scored fourth place with 12%, behind the trio of OpenMW (21%), ScummVM (18%), and OpenRA (14%). I don't see other Doom ports in the list, but there is Shockolate (System Shock), and a trio of Build ports (EDuke32, BuildGDX, NBlood).
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Gez wrote:Just saw this:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/goty.php? ... egory_id=7

Looks like "ZDoom (GZDoom)" scored fourth place with 12%, behind the trio of OpenMW (21%), ScummVM (18%), and OpenRA (14%). I don't see other Doom ports in the list, but there is Shockolate (System Shock), and a trio of Build ports (EDuke32, BuildGDX, NBlood).
Good company to be behind.
Clippy

Post by Clippy »

My cats are watching me eat pasta

It's like a real life Garfield situation but with a blonde cat
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by xenoxols »

xenoxols wrote:I think I finally want to express that I want to be a girl, though it's kinds scary. :(
4 years later I finally got myself to tell someone. I'm not sure where I go from here.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Between writing my scifi novel, making patch fixes for my mod, talking to my Employment discrimination Attorney, and working on a documentary for YouTube... My brain is on overload.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

All Hell's Creatures-

Fresh off the Grill-
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I'd eat there everyday.

You've been doing great work with those animations, Captain!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Reminds me of this texture from Duke Caribbean:

Business finds a way to stay open despite all these alien invasions.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I haven't worked much on it since but recently i've contributed shader code for a dreamcast emulator

The Flycast nightly builds have the new "PowerVR2 Postprocess" option which should provide proper dithering, and the not-very-emulated-until-I-did-something-about-it Y Filter for composite output - which blurs the image vertically *before* the dither and the Y scaler.

So, if you combine it with the usual NTSC postprocess shader chain, it'd have that alleged antialiased look DC fans would claim. Also the VGA output is green-ish and gives some feedback streaks too

(this does not imply anything else for DC, i simply just wanted to have less uncanny impossible emulation)
Attachments
alienfront.jpg
jsr1.png
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Been working on porting my engine to Veldrid.
As nice as the fast iteration speed from MonoGame was at the beginning, it was just giving me way too many headaches with its constant shader miscompilations and non-sensical quirks.
Veldrid is certainly far more stable and bugfree than MonoGame ever was when I was using it, and it also gives me some very nice additional features, like Vulkan support, compute shaders, uniform buffer objects, and the ability to compile shaders at runtime.
The code is also far cleaner, and the UBOs are pretty nice. And while it took some time and effort to write, my higher-level abstractions around Veldrid certainly feel a lot better than MonoGame, to be honest.

As usual, RenderDoc is often a life saver when things don't work as they should. I don't think I would've ever gotten anywhere without it. HIghly recommend it to anyone doing graphics programming work.

After I'm done porting it, I'm probably going to do something like implementing clustered deferred shading with compute shaders, or maybe even working on the scripting language.

Vaguely related to my engine, I've also been reading quite a bit of things on graphics programming, like papers and presentations. It's pretty interesting stuff to read, and a lot of the techniques I read about are pretty cool, interesting or neat.
I also read some frame breakdowns more recently, of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, DOOM 2016 and Metro Exodus specifically. These are honestly pretty interesting, specially the DOOM 2016 and Deus Ex ones.
I might read some more from that site. I also read some stuff from the GPU Gems books available on Nvidia's site - the S.T.A.L.K.E.R deferred shading stuff was actually a super interesting read, I didn't even know it uses deferred shading.

Last, I'm thinking of making a personal website and/or blog. I'd like to make more posts like this, somewhere it won't get lost.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Trying to become more comfortable with the Sekaiju midi composer. For years I've been using Anvil Studio, which gets the job done but I feel like it's held back by certain features missing (though less than were missing 10 years ago :V). This short sample midi started off as an interpretation of "Secrets" by Fields of the Nephilim that kind of went off on its own thing. It has some jank that was caused by me not really knowing what I was doing. I'm still not 100% sure about the UI, but I'll have to keep trying.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efvox2twgpl13 ... 4.mid?dl=0
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

So uh.... I'm no longer single.

It all happened so suddenly I still haven't fully assimilated everything. But... wow, it's really amazing.

Return to “Off-Topic”