Rampancy - [2.0]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yholl

Re: Rampancy - [1.0]

Post by Yholl »

theroguemonk wrote:the way the robots fall slowly behind is there a way to tweak that?
what
openroadracer wrote:
Yholl wrote:Robots take extra damage from Ion and EMP damagetypes, and have a unique death if destroyed by them.
Yeah, I get that. But the main question is Why did the Ion Blaster put up white numbers, but the Repeater Gun blue numbers, if the Ion Blaster is the one that's dealing the EMP damage, not the Repeater Gun?
I already told you. Ion damage in Rampancy is set to white. The Ion Blaster in the Star Wars mod does Ion damage.
sotenga wrote:However, I do have a gripe, and it's one that might get me dirty looks, but the Arch-Vile replacement is WAY too easy to deal with. It's slow, its attack is nowhere near as threatening as regular Archies, it's not very aggressive, it seems slightly less durable, and even if it's able to repair other robots, its sluggishness doesn't seem conducive to its medic powers and it doesn't seem to prioritize its healing duties.
It was never designed to act like an Arch-vile, nor intended to do so. And your last statement is incorrect, the only time it ever isn't trying to heal something is if there's no other robots, or you got right up in its grill. It doesn't like that at all.
Also the fact that maps set themselves up with Arch-viles as OH CRAP moments makes their entrance absolutely hilarious and I love it.
sotenga wrote:Perhaps make it a bit faster, a bit tankier, give it a more powerful projectile, and/or make its healing powers more potent.
I might increase their speed when they've detected something to repair.
I am definitely not increasing their healing capacity, it's extremely high at max difficulty. A tanky robot like a Maintenance Bot with one of these behind it might as well be nigh invincible.
I won't increase their combat ability either, they are not combat robots.
murdermike22
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by murdermike22 »

i've noticed that when using the star wars mod with rampancy, the lost soul replacers dont fire any lasers
sotenga

Post by sotenga »

It was never designed to act like an Arch-vile, nor intended to do so. And your last statement is incorrect, the only time it ever isn't trying to heal something is if there's no other robots, or you got right up in its grill. It doesn't like that at all.
Also the fact that maps set themselves up with Arch-viles as OH CRAP moments makes their entrance absolutely hilarious and I love it.
I am definitely not increasing their healing capacity, it's extremely high at max difficulty. A tanky robot like a Maintenance Bot with one of these behind it might as well be nigh invincible.
I won't increase their combat ability either, they are not combat robots.
I apologize if I came off as pushy about the Medibot. It's your mod, so do as you will with it. I was just surprised to see a not-BS replacement for the Archie for once.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

As a counterpoint to J's comments on the little spiders, I think they're a pretty clever pinky replacement because they fill the same role but with different methods. Pinkies forcibly block your attacks with their bulk, whereas the spiders draw your fire by being annoying little ankle biters that make one of the worst noises I've ever heard. Either way, you're not shooting at the other things in the room, you're focusing on them.

They're very effective because I find myself dropping everything to deal with the spiders when they show up. I hate those little bastards. But it's a good kind of hate. :V
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I half-agree your with point. As clever, new, unique and annoying it is really, i still miss those meat shield-y brutes in some certain monster closet. Original Pinkies tend to make the fight a little more longer, especially in The Ultimate Doom.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

murdermike22 wrote:i've noticed that when using the star wars mod with rampancy, the lost soul replacers dont fire any lasers
Working fine here.
sotenga wrote:I apologize if I came off as pushy about the Medibot. It's your mod, so do as you will with it. I was just surprised to see a not-BS replacement for the Archie for once.
No need to apologize! Forum threads exist so people can share their thoughts.
twinkieman93 wrote:I hate those little bastards. But it's a good kind of hate. :V
ehehehehe
sotenga

Post by sotenga »

No need to apologize! Forum threads exist so people can share their thoughts.
Ah, cool. :D I just need to figure out a good megawad for this one. I think I recall someone working on a set called "Oops, All Techbases," but I'm not sure what happened to that. Or maybe I'll finally get around to Back to Saturn X E2, the lazy ass.

ADD: Oh, wait, here's "Oops! All Techbase." Has anyone given Rampancy a spin with this one? https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ease-rc22/
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Really love to play this mod now, the enemies have a certain charm to them that just makes it fun.
Also btw I pieced together a way for the repair bot to work without changing the friendly flag if you'd like.

With some friend mods they don't target the repair bot outside of it's angry range. That may be intended though?
FaxedHead

Post by FaxedHead »

I really appreciate the CVARs you added to this mod. I was just about to critique a couple of points and then realized you already had thought of everything. If there's one thing I can add is that the large floating robot did not quite look as high-teired or aggressive as I'd imagined them being when they shot me. Maybe it's due to their sfx, I'm not sure. I will definitely be spending a lot of time playing this mod. And if anybody could please name some more fitting "futuristic" moor techbase-heavy maps it would be much appreciated!
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

oh my god, everything explodes
even when you think they stop exploding, they explode
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

To be fair, Sonic did the same thing as well. Every single Badnik he steps on, they explode in violent way possible.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

The repair bot (archvile replacement) doesn't respect the mapinfo health modifier. Setting MonsterHealth = 5 causes the bot to spawn with 500/2500 health.
Something has to be done about the cyberdemon 'scanning'. Any time there's a cyberdemon on a level you get to hear 'scanning area' every 20 seconds.
Darman Macray

Post by Darman Macray »

This is an absolute masterpiece. Love the robo-dialogue, the robo-projectiles and all of the robo-explosions!
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

TXTX wrote:With some friend mods they don't target the repair bot outside of it's angry range. That may be intended though?
Yeah, nothing will really try and deal with it if it's not actively being a threat.
Rowsol wrote:The repair bot (archvile replacement) doesn't respect the mapinfo health modifier. Setting MonsterHealth = 5 causes the bot to spawn with 500/2500 health.
Can't fix, engine shenanigans.
Rowsol wrote:Something has to be done about the cyberdemon 'scanning'. Any time there's a cyberdemon on a level you get to hear 'scanning area' every 20 seconds.
I'll increase the attenuation.
Darman Macray wrote:This is an absolute masterpiece. Love the robo-dialogue, the robo-projectiles and all of the robo-explosions!
thank
Yholl

Re: Rampancy - [1.1]

Post by Yholl »

dubble poest

1.1 is out, adds new sprites and brightmaps, fixes a few minor things, see the changelog for details.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”