[WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t [updated 4-12-2020]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RoastBeefo

[WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t [updated 4-12-2020]

Post by RoastBeefo »

What this is:

Inspired by CantSleep's excellent Nobody Told Me About id, I tried to give my hand a try at remaking Doom 2's maps under a more Build Engine-esque influence.
It's all very proof-of-concept so far, and I don't have a ton of Doom mapping/modding experience under my belt, but I'm pretty determined to get something done with this.

Screenshots
Spoiler: Screens
Everything is still a very heavy work-in-progress, but If anyone wants to give it a try and share their thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

DOWNLOAD

Google Drive
Spoiler: Changelog
Spoiler: Credits
Recommended with Kinsie's destructable MetaProps
Last edited by RoastBeefo on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.
comet1337

Re: [Very WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t

Post by comet1337 »

Spoiler: negative feedback dump
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I'm digging it! Good work on this so far, looking forward to seeing more!
RoastBeefo

Post by RoastBeefo »

Cheers for the critiques, guys!
comet1337 wrote:
Spoiler: negative feedback dump
Was wondering why 3DMIDTEX wasn't working out for me initially and it turns out OTEX's railings are absurdly tall for what they are, so I've tweaked that.
Appreciate the feedback, thanks for checking it out.
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

This feels very satisfying to play. You have done a great job. :)

Remember to add explosions if you want more build-engine vibes!
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

This was really cool can't wait to see more.

Here is a video.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I absolutely LOVE redesigns like this. Makes it feel fresh, and like something I could only DREAM of!

Keep up the awesome work! :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ooooh! This is a really nice map. It's definitely Map01 from Doom2 but it's very much its own thing too. I can really see the Build-style influences but it doesn't feel like Duke, Shadow Warrior or any of them. It's still very much Doom. Great fun to play and a very interesting map and concept too.

The only real problem I noticed was the 3DMidTex issue already mentioned and it sounds like that's already in hand. Other than that, I spotted a few texture alignment issues but everything worked as I assume it was intended. I stuck around and explored the map after everything was dead and eventually got 100% items and secrets too.

Very nice.
RoastBeefo

Post by RoastBeefo »

Appreciate the kind words!
I've started preliminary work on blocking out Map02 (which I think may actually get merged into Map01, not sure yet) and I'm really starting to get a feel for how it should turn out.
Spoiler: Underhalls
Also figuring out how ACS works is really expanding my options, who knew?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Great start so far. Keep it up!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't know if this has been addressed yet or not but I just noticed that it is possible to pick up the berserk pack without opening and going in to the secret (just bump up against the broken mirror and you should be able to pick it up). Obviously, just making the secret a bit bigger and moving the berserk back a bit would cure this.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

RoastBeefo wrote:Appreciate the kind words!
I've started preliminary work on blocking out Map02 (which I think may actually get merged into Map01, not sure yet) and I'm really starting to get a feel for how it should turn out.
Spoiler: Underhalls
Also figuring out how ACS works is really expanding my options, who knew?
Liking the looks of this! Keep it up!

I don't suppose this will need a custom soundtrack, will it? I have been doing some classic Doom remakes on the side, maybe this can benefit from it? Totally understandable if not, as this is emulating the Build engine which primarily used MIDI for its music.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

When playing the map I thought that the original D_RUNNIN got a bit wearisome and wasn't particularly fitting in its original format. Something less frantic/more Duke-like but perhaps keeping the same basic musical themes would work well in this more realistic environment (i.e. the map looks like it actually has some sort of industrial purpose with all the offices, security stations, etc versus the more abstract original MAP01).

So, for what it's worth, I would think that new or re-imagined music would work well.
RoastBeefo

Post by RoastBeefo »

Enjay wrote:I don't know if this has been addressed yet or not but I just noticed that it is possible to pick up the berserk pack without opening and going in to the secret (just bump up against the broken mirror and you should be able to pick it up). Obviously, just making the secret a bit bigger and moving the berserk back a bit would cure this.
Noted and tweaked, thanks!

I hadn't given a ton of thought in regards to the soundtrack yet, but I'll definitely consider it.

I've updated the link with a current version with some tweaks, some rudimentary explosion fx, and a very unfinished Underhalls portion (there should be enough to get to the level exit but in no way is it feature-complete)

Edit: Here's a rough idea of what I have for the brick building in Underhalls:
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/oy4uOeX[/imgur]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [Very WIP] Doom 2 - Re-Build-t [updated 2-17-2020]

Post by 3336655445 »

Very cool

Return to “Levels”