Zombies Ate My Neighbors TC! (MARCH 2022 AND ANNOUNCEMENT!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
twinkieman93

Re: Zombies Doomed My Neighbors !- Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Post by twinkieman93 »

I thought Ghoul Patrol was just what they called it in Europe. o.o
BFG

Post by BFG »

Ghoul Patrol is the sequel. A bad sequel. Though I wouldn't mind some of the resources from it ending up in this mod.

How are you going to code the Gill Men who jump out of the pools of water?
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

New Screenshots!
Spoiler:
About the Decorate:
- The axe baby/doll and the zombie have a lower attack rate so they are more beatable now.
- Maniquies added.
- Some throwable weapons where changed to the slot 3 for a easier access to the bazooka.

About stuff:
- The maps have names now.
- New textures.
- Still can't rip properly the Bazooka sounds but I'm gonna be working on that.

So that's by now c:
everennui

Post by everennui »

I would love to help you in anyway that I am able.

I've created a single file .pk3 with weapons and sprites before so I could help you compile all these into one .pk3 file.

I like this MOD a lot. It's really cool.

Addendum: I played this game a lot on the SNES when I was a kid. My brother and I both remember it very fondly. I'm pretty new around the forums, but I have a desire to learn new things. I can map pretty well. I can use ACS to script a lot of different events. I know how to use DECORATE to change different attributes. I am slowly learning ANSI C... I'm struggling through the concept of arrays... so I'm not that great AT ALL, but I really like what you've done.

How can I help?
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Neat, I liked the idea of zombies ate my neighbors, but didn't enjoy the execution (bad controls by todays standards) so this looks promising if its anything like it.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Ha! I stomped that game back in the day. I'd love to try this when it's ready. :D
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

everennui wrote:I would love to help you in anyway that I am able.

I've created a single file .pk3 with weapons and sprites before so I could help you compile all these into one .pk3 file.

I like this MOD a lot. It's really cool.

Addendum: I played this game a lot on the SNES when I was a kid. My brother and I both remember it very fondly. I'm pretty new around the forums, but I have a desire to learn new things. I can map pretty well. I can use ACS to script a lot of different events. I know how to use DECORATE to change different attributes. I am slowly learning ANSI C... I'm struggling through the concept of arrays... so I'm not that great AT ALL, but I really like what you've done.

How can I help?
Really? That's awesome ! Yeah, I'm gonna upload then a update tomorrow or after that so , if you can compile it would be amazing ! :D
PS: It's a mess... so I'm gonna try to make it less messy to don't make it so hard to compile .-.
PS2: Also don't worry about not knowing things , I'm learning as I'm making so probably know less than you xD
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

Thanks for these resources ! ^^
Most of these weapons/sprites I'm already aware of tho and I'm not interested in using them.
Maybe the Rabbid Flametrower would be a good fit.

Also this thread is outdated by several years!
You can get more up to date progress in my youtube channel:

And in the ModDb page as well: https://www.moddb.com/mods/zombies-doom ... ghbors-mod

I'll update this thread when I get a more complete demo out
r&r

Post by r&r »

Dude27th wrote:
Thanks for these resources ! ^^
Most of these weapons/sprites I'm already aware of tho and I'm not interested in using them.
Maybe the Rabbid Flametrower would be a good fit.

Also this thread is outdated by several years!
You can get more up to date progress in my youtube channel:

And in the ModDb page as well: https://www.moddb.com/mods/zombies-doom ... ghbors-mod

I'll update this thread when I get a more complete demo out
Ah ok, feel free to use my flamethrower sprite for any other projects if you like
keep on the good work
Dude27th

Re: Zombies Ate My Neighbors TC ! (NEW MARCH DEMO RELEASED)

Post by Dude27th »

Thread updated with latest info! ^^
Considering that this thread was dormant for some years now
Cherno

Re: Zombies Ate My Neighbors TC! (NEW DEMO RELEASED) 25/03/2

Post by Cherno »

This is one of the coolest TCs I've ver seen! Even though I never played the original game, I appreciate the effort that has gone into crafting all the details. This is a first person conversion that really works well due to the tight gameplay and close combat.
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

Cherno wrote:This is one of the coolest TCs I've ver seen! Even though I never played the original game, I appreciate the effort that has gone into crafting all the details. This is a first person conversion that really works well due to the tight gameplay and close combat.
Thank you! ^^
A lot of work as been put on rebalancing as well and trying to understand the gameplay of the original work to replicate what worked so well on it ! ^^
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Holy smokes, this is so great and addictive. And it's much closer to the original game! Nicely done!! Although it's not my childhood game, but it's nice to see it revived in doom format. I certainly had some fun!

But may i suggest some feedback?:

- First of all, i hear some vanilla doom sound effects, like picking up weapons. Also the doom fonts are here and there. I wish it was completely SNES to the bone, but you know what i'm saying!

- The Bazooka has weirdly long delay and is not appropriate against the hordes of enemies than i expected.

- Soda pop and Bazooka projectile seem to be way simple: No splash damage.

- The Drawer Bogeymen are rather surprising and give you no clue whatsoever. So i have to risk all the time before opening some of the drawers.

- For some reason this TC is quite stingy with the healing and stuff. I beat the level but the game still did not heal me completely.

And yes, i'm sure it wasn't like that in the original game. But sometimes, getting out of strict stagnancy a tiny wee bit could be very important and just convenient for beginners.

- When i turn into a Beast, the navigator disappears. Intentional because of secret-finding exploit?

- Even though it has fewer levels, the level select screen says certain levels are not unlocked yet. So they actually exist but somehow have to unlock them?

Looks very promising, my good friend. I do really hope you could finish the whole levels so we could have a lot of fun in halloween!
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

Captain J wrote:Holy smokes, this is so great and addictive. And it's much closer to the original game! Nicely done!! Although it's not my childhood game, but it's nice to see it revived in doom format. I certainly had some fun!

But may i suggest some feedback?:

1) First of all, i hear some vanilla doom sound effects, like picking up weapons. Also the doom fonts are here and there. I wish it was completely SNES to the bone, but you know what i'm saying!

2) The Bazooka has weirdly long delay and is not appropriate against the hordes of enemies than i expected.

3) Soda pop and Bazooka projectile seem to be way simple: No splash damage.

4) The Drawer Bogeymen are rather surprising and give you no clue whatsoever. So i have to risk all the time before opening some of the drawers.

5) For some reason this TC is quite stingy with the healing and stuff. I beat the level but the game still did not heal me completely.

And yes, i'm sure it wasn't like that in the original game. But sometimes, getting out of strict stagnancy a tiny wee bit could be very important and just convenient for beginners.

6) When i turn into a Beast, the navigator disappears. Intentional because of secret-finding exploit?

7) Even though it has fewer levels, the level select screen says certain levels are not unlocked yet. So they actually exist but somehow have to unlock them?

Looks very promising, my good friend. I do really hope you could finish the whole levels so we could have a lot of fun in halloween!
Thank you! ^^
And yes , somethings may improve but some are made like it to go more accurately with the original mechanics of ZAMN, in order:

1) Yes I know , it's a leftover and I will replace them in some time , tbh I forgot about it xd

2) The Bazooka has a long delay because of the jokingly massive recoil of the weapon (After all you are just a kid in the game firing a Bazooka) so it's meant to be like that, regardless is still somewhat less delay that in the original game.
Also is not as efective because by default enemies while A_Chaseing tend to strafe constantly and evade direct attacks like the Bazooka projectile. (If someone could send me some info about changing this I'll gladly accept it xd)

3) They do splash damage both of these weapons, unless I don't understand correctly splash damage (?) but they have an explosion radius

4) Yes , that's the point. It does have a some sort of risk factor to it it's intented behaviour.

5) Finishing a level doesn't heal you

6) Intentional as well , it's a trade-off for beign an unstoppable invincible monster for 40 seconds

7) The Demo has in actually 4 Levels , you can warp to any of them from the Level Select screen but it does take in consideration a "Level Progression" Cvar , so you can't warp to levels that you have not reached in previous games for normal meanings. If you talk tho about the other levels then yes is an oversight xd and it would be fixed in future releases !

And again thank you for playing it ! ^^
I hope you enjoyed it !
I'll try to have more levels available for this next Halloween! ^^

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”