How to play Duke Nuken 3D: World Tour in Raze

Post your tutorials here to help fellow Raze users get the most out of modding and using Raze!

Moderator: Raze Developers

markanini

How to play Duke Nuken 3D: World Tour in Raze

Post by markanini »

Since writing this guide Alien World Tour support has been added natively. There is no reason to follow the steps below.

• Download the compatibility stopgap
  • Extract the contents into your World Tour install folder, usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D Twentieth Anniversary World Tour"
  • Now, copy your World Tour install folder as a subfolder to Raze.exe
  • Run Raze and choose "Duke Nukem 3D:"20th Anniversary World Tour[Stopgap]" in the game selection list

The original four episodes are entirely playable. Episode five is a WIP, currently missing some weapons and enemies. You will hear Lee Jacksons new and updated soundtracks. Dukes voice lines can be selected between original and 2016 from the console. All credit goes to those that worked on the stopgap for EDuke32, Hendricks266, NightFright, mwnn, asdf33 and LeoD. More details can be found here.
Last edited by markanini on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Dynamo

Re: How to play Duke Nuken 3D: World Tour in Raze

Post by Dynamo »

I do hope the stopgap will be finished eventually, I did play the new version when it came out but it felt so off playing it on that weird port of theirs, I have always wished to finally be able to play it in eduke32 just like duke64 and duke total meltdown.
markanini

Post by markanini »

Post retracted due to irrelevancy.
Last edited by markanini on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Dynamo wrote:I do hope the stopgap will be finished eventually, I did play the new version when it came out but it felt so off playing it on that weird port of theirs, I have always wished to finally be able to play it in eduke32 just like duke64 and duke total meltdown.
The problem is, no one really expressed interest in fully supporting WT's new content so far. Not even the eduke developers were interested in wasting time on it.

I wish it'd be fully supported by ports too, GB's remaster runs abysmal for me with the forced VSync garbage that only adds unbearable input lag and chopiness. It's literally unplayable for me. I tried it once, then uninstalled it and never returned, it was that awful.
markanini

Post by markanini »

Here's a crazy idea. What if the community reached out to Gearbox and negotiated a release of resources needed for episode five support in source ports. It would drive sales to Gearbox and the community would be happy. Win-win. Of course this would have to be taken up with someone higher up, middlemen and low level workers wouldn't normally have a say. It's not something easy, we would need to know exactly what to ask for in a technical sense whilst also being prepared to counter any and every concern regarding risk aversion from a market perspective. Some might object or dismiss entirely, but has anyone stepped up to the plate to give it a try? What do we have to to lose?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That isn't necessary. All that's necessary is a developer who has a copy of it, *and* who has an interest in creating code that can read it.
markanini

Post by markanini »

Rachael wrote:That isn't necessary. All that's necessary is a developer who has a copy of it, *and* who has an interest in creating code that can read it.
If other solutions are available that's great. It's amazing that the efforts of reverse engineering surpassed the need for source code for running Build games in OS environments. I cant code myself, I can only marvel at these efforts. Seeing as Graf is open to the idea of reaching out for graphical assests is it a far fetched that we ask for code/documentation?
Nash

Post by Nash »

WT has extra render features that Raze doesn't have yet - coloured dynamic lights, (and if I'm not mistaken) true colour textures?, SSAO, normal maps.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

markanini wrote:If other solutions are available that's great. It's amazing that the efforts of reverse engineering surpassed the need for source code for running Build games in OS environments.
I think it's more that in general, across this community, you'll likely find the sentiment towards the idea of actually cooperating with Gearbox even with something as small as this to be a slight, um ... small bit unsweet, to say the very least. And that's all I want to say about that.

So - about that reverse engineering...
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Rachael wrote:
markanini wrote:If other solutions are available that's great. It's amazing that the efforts of reverse engineering surpassed the need for source code for running Build games in OS environments.
I think it's more that in general, across this community, you'll likely find the sentiment towards the idea of actually cooperating with Gearbox even with something as small as this to be a slight, um ... small bit unsweet, to say the very least. And that's all I want to say about that.

So - about that reverse engineering...
Gearbox only release one patch to WT and then never give any shit, leave WT still in buggy state. How do you expect they would care about cooperating...after these years pasted. *sigh*

The problem is who want to do reverse engineering...? :3:
markanini

Post by markanini »

Rachael wrote:
I understand that very well, believe me. I mean there's always a people that wish to hold grudges indefinitely. At the same time, if by chance things took a turn toward agreeable terms and giving back to the community, who would say no in their right mind?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Nash wrote:WT has extra render features that Raze doesn't have yet - coloured dynamic lights, (and if I'm not mistaken) true colour textures?, SSAO, normal maps.
Don't think there's true colour textures in the game itself. The menus are all fancy PNG files and such, but the game art still uses Ye Olde ART Tiles.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

markanini wrote: I understand that very well, believe me. I mean there's always a people that wish to hold grudges indefinitely. At the same time, if by chance things took a turn toward agreeable terms and giving back to the community, who would say no in their right mind?
Well actually, anything is possible(yeah, my previously post doesn't looks like that)...I still have hope...but that's like fat chance, when we're talking about Gearbox...well, just not say too much bad here.

But still, if has chance, I think most of the community would like see that happens, if it happens actually.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Anyone hoping about a reverse-engineering effort should know that this isn't compiled with an old compiler like Watcom-C, but with something modern, either MSVC or MinGW. This means that the binary code is magnitudes harder to decipher. Don't expect any results here, doing this with an old DOS binary is an unpleasant job, but doing this with a modern Windows binary is torture.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Honestly, with the quality of the new weapon and actors in World Tour, it'd more likely be easier (and more effective) to rewrite them as EDuke32 CON script instead of blindly fumbling around trying to implement the WT CON functions.

Return to “Tutorials (Build)”