Bethesda (Green Cross) Medikits

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Bethesda (Green Cross) Medikits

Post by Rachael »

Just the green cross medikits that you can use in non-Unity versions of any Doom game. No more, no less.

.pk3 format and .wad format available, should work in any source port.

(I think they're prettier than the red cross ones anyway)

Credits:

- Graf Zahl for wadext
- infozip
- kevansevans for the Unity version wad extractor
- id Software for the original medikit sprites these were based on
- Bethesda for this particular variant of them
- SLADE3

License:

id Software license regarding custom content based on their own game assets applies - otherwise, I really don't care what you do with this.
Attachments
bethesda-medikits.wad
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
bethesda-medikits.pk3
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Enjay

Re: Bethesda (Green-Cross) Medikits

Post by Enjay »

Personally, I think that the cross could have been a slightly darker green and thereby looked better. Except for the berserk where the bright green cross really standing out works for me.

On the whole though, I also think that the green looks better than the red and, actually, it's what you are more likely to see on a first aid kit or outside a pharmacy (in my experience anyway).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah, the med and stimpack could use a bit more contrast, but I still think it's light-years better than the pill version they put on the BFG version.

On that note, I figured this might be of interest to non-GZDoom users so I made a version that should work in prBoom+ or pretty much any other compatible source port.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Yeah, the Unity versions are light-years ahead of the pills seen in the BFG Edition of the IWADs and other commercial remasters of other games (most notably Duke 3D World Tour).

I wish the crosses were a bit brighter though, the Berserk looks absolutely amazing from the lot. However, looking at them more closely, have they also altered the white by any chance? Looking at the medikit on the left, and I don't recall the original having such a red-ish tint to it (or the stimpack a blue-ish one)?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

lowskill. wrote:I wish the crosses were a bit brighter though, the Berserk looks absolutely amazing from the lot. However, looking at them more closely, have they also altered the white by any chance? Looking at the medikit on the left, and I don't recall the original having such a red-ish tint to it (or the stimpack a blue-ish one)?
I think they're just near dynamic lights, actually.
Rachael

Re: Bethesda (Green Cross) Medikits

Post by Rachael »

lowskill. wrote:I wish the crosses were a bit brighter though, the Berserk looks absolutely amazing from the lot. However, looking at them more closely, have they also altered the white by any chance? Looking at the medikit on the left, and I don't recall the original having such a red-ish tint to it (or the stimpack a blue-ish one)?
That's GZDoom lighting, I took the pic in Sigil's E5M2 with lights loaded. I could probably update the screenshot to something that doesn't have lighting in it.
phantombeta wrote:I think they're just near dynamic lights, actually.
Yeah that.

EDIT: Updated the screenshot. Used liteamp goggles this time.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

lowskill. wrote:Yeah, the Unity versions are light-years ahead of the pills seen in the BFG Edition of the IWADs...
The Wolfenstein related stuff is better in the Unity versions too. In the BFG, any WOLF* texture that had an image of Hitler or a swastika was simply replaced with a plain wall. The Unity ones have had the swastika replaced with a new logo (possibly related to ROTT?) and Hitler is back but with his moustache removed. The SS guy sprites in the BFG were replaced with a set of zombieman sprites but in Unity, the blue SS guy is back.
Spoiler:
Kinsie also posted here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=65466&p=1131676#p1131676
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Yea, the Wolf content this time around was actually altered rather than crudely stripped away from the map resulting in boring, barren walls everywhere, and also zombies... Yeah the Unity censorship is just so much better overall. By the way, they also replaced some SS lines, instead of "Schutzstaffel" they say "SchutzKampfer" now, voiced by sponge - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ts/?page=7

It's pretty hilarious to see what they did to Hitler rofl, gave it a shave and called it a day.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

While the color contrast works better with a green cross and the Berserk, it's rather the opposite for the other two. Maybe Bethesda should have opted for a darker green in those cases. But anyway, this approach is indeed better than using pill symbols and preserves the artistic style of the original assets.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't know but I suspect the pill came about because of a knee-jerk "OMG it needs to look totally different" response to the Red Cross legal ruling.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

I personally kinda like the pill design, looks a bit cute idk, also, I wish the new Wolf3D censored textures got ripped cuz I kinda like them(?)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Kinsie ripped them, you can find them here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=65466
Diabolución

Post by Diabolución »

Craneo wrote:I wish the new Wolf3D censored textures got ripped cuz I kinda like them(?)
https://doomshack.org/uploads/wolf3d_ce ... xtures.zip

The new DSSSSIT sound is included as well.
AlphaSoraKun
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Rachael wrote: (I think they're prettier than the red cross ones anyway)
Yeah. I admit, I used to like the red cross ones, but I surprisingly like these ones more now looking at that screenshot.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Gez wrote:Kinsie ripped them, you can find them here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=65466
Those are recreations using the original Wolf3D textures because I thought it was funny. HERE are the ripped texture edits:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”