Highway Acceleroid Booster v1 - Life in the Fast Lane

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Steve1664

Re: Highway Acceleroid Booster v1 - Life in the Fast Lane

Post by Steve1664 »

I just finished playing through Coffee Break in one sitting with this, and there's so much good stuff I don't even know where to begin.

Doom has always been about fast action, and Booster is a logical next step. Your basic speed is fast, with the option of going very fast whenever you want to. Going full speed can be tricky in maps that don't have a lot of straightaways or open space, but it's damn useful when you can, since you're able to outpace projectiles easily. I messed around with the jumping (which is turned off in the WAD by default), and double jumping/mantling saves a lot of trouble when there's a lot of verticality you have to go through repeatedly. On to the weapons:

- Thank you for making the Clutch Buster regen ammo. It's always nice to have a ranged option. Low damage, but it lets you hold your own against most things from a clean start without having to worry about running dry. The punch is handy for when you've closed in on something or if you get ambushed at close range.

-The "shotgun"/flamethrower combo is excellent for close combat, especially since the flamer tends to keep most enemies in the pain state reliably; burning down lone Hell Knights or Revenants is always good, and the spray-and-pray method works in a pinch against multiple enemies.

- Nitro Wheel is just fun. It took me a bit to realize you need to click and hold down fire to get the intended effect, but it's terrific for mowing things down while you're running around like an idiot, which I tend to do. The altfire is just perfect for when you're surrounded, and you can use it pretty frequently as long as you have the ammo.

- Volt Spark works great as your rapid fire chaingun/plasma gun weapon for thinning out weaker enemies. The altfire, though seems to be very situational since it has that charge up. It works well for what it's supposed to do otherwise, but it could use a bit more punch for all the wind-up.

- Rockets work as intended, lots of straightforward damage, and the pipe bomb can be useful when you're on the run, but it could use a bit more damage/wider blast radius for what it does I think.

- Crush Piston works great for running around and blowing things up with having to worry about aiming. It's an ideal weapon for a mod about constant mobility and it's always satisfying to give Revenants a taste of their own medicine. Just circle strafe and watch the fireworks.

- All Brake is hilarious. Slowing down time with the ability to freely switch weapons and whale on everything? Never gets old. Neither does the altfire. It's the Great Equalizer when things go south.

- The double is very interesting. Being able to give yourself covering fire as you run around and give yourself a stationary turret at the press of a button can be extremely useful when you're hoovering up pickups or if there are a lot of enemies with room to maneuver. You can get creative and strategic with it, and you tend to get a lot of ammo.

In all, this is a Damn Good Mod(tm). Terminus, you just keep putting out very solid and fun new ways to play, and the Doom community thanks you for it.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Jarewill wrote: Holding run and forwards will trigger the speed booster.
Pressing crouch while speed booster is active will "contain" the charge.
And holding run and forwards again will release it in the form of a shinespark.
Thanks for explaining it better.
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Alptraum »

I made a gameplay video

AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I can't wait for the next version :)
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

How do you dash in this mod?
TheAdamantArchvile

Post by TheAdamantArchvile »

I remember seeing a shitpost cvar you could activate, during your dev streams. Any idea what it is and does it work with your older mods?
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Bobby wrote:How do you dash in this mod?
As mentioned earlier, Forward + Run
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

OR, R key. Hope it was totally helpful.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Holy shit that is amazing. I had tried making my own Mega Man X/Maverick Hunter mod many years ago, but I ended up cancelling it. I like the many different skills and weapons that are present in this mod.
DYD
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DYD »

Niiiiice, this is Megaman X-in-Doom!
But there is a major problem... what map pack should I play with this? Valiant seems in line as for the theme, but I feel the mod might break the intended sequences too much. Any suggestions for this poor man?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I got around to playing this mod some more and hoooly shit, that All Brake skill is fucking hilarious and awesome.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Got a crash from using the taser sword: https://i.vgy.me/mLqGeg.png
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Got a crash from using the taser sword: https://i.vgy.me/mLqGeg.png
Wivicer wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:Yeah, the line belongs to a projectile that has +HITTRACER, so logically anything it should hit should automatically be considered a tracer. But sometimes things slip.
I'll fix it next update, thank you.
I think there may be a few other places where this problem arises. Just FYI
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

That same error happened when I tasered an enemy that was frozen.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Icarus's review of the mod just dropped.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”