[RESOURCE]Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

[RESOURCE]Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Here are some sprites from the Genesis/Sega-Cd game "Bloodshot"(AKA Battle Frenzy). I've been trying to rip sprites from this game recently because I really like the design of the enemies and the game's atmosphere. Ripping sprites from this game is a pain in the ass, because there are no tools to do it, so I have to remove them from screenshots and manually resize them in paint. Also, a big thanks to Jake Crusher. He tried to rip this game's resources before me, and I his sheets were a lot of help in getting these done quicker, since I managed to fix some of his sprites that were messed up by the game's upscalling, and they also served as reference for how many frames each enemy had.
One last thing I wanna get out of the way: these sprites might not be 100% true to the games original graphics. Due to the nature of the method I was using, some of the enemy shadows were cut-off, so I had to redraw them myself. But you probably won't care about that unless you're a massive perfectionist loser like moi. The actual monsters look good :wink:

Items and misc stuff:
Spoiler:
Player:
Spoiler:
Enemies:
Spoiler:
Hud stuff
Spoiler:
I'll updade this post if I manage to rip anything else from this game.
Jake Crusher

Re: [RESOURCE]Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy

Post by Jake Crusher »

Thank you very much, HorrorMovieGuy! Glad to see somebody made an effort and finished what has been started. Hope people will draw angled enemies' sprites and weapons in the future :)

Also, if needed - I can rip Bloodshot's music from SegaCD and from MegaDrive/Genesis & sounds as well.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Good one :) Hope to see more from you
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pandut »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH god damn those enemy sprites look so rad. I hate to pry since I know how hard sprite-ripping from screenshots is; do the enemies have rotations or are they just single-rotations a la Wolfenstein? Asking cuz that last one, the mech looks too good to not use it for something.
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Jake Crusher wrote:I can rip Bloodshot's music from SegaCD and from MegaDrive/Genesis & sounds as well.
Sure, go ahead. The Sega CD tracks are awesome.
Pandut wrote:do the enemies have rotations or are they just single-rotations a la Wolfenstein?
Unfortunatelly, they're single rotation only.
Jake Crusher

Post by Jake Crusher »

OK, guys, here you go.
http://www.filedropper.com/bs-bfsounds

Sounds from both SMD & SCD versions. With music as well.
Now, I'm thinking about the possibility to rip game's textures...
Sobot
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Sobot »

Here's the textures using Level 1 palette from the Genesis version of Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy. These have been extracted directly from the ROM via YY-CHR.NET 0.99 (with a tiny bit of aligning with HEX Workshop and mirroring done in Photoshop):
Spoiler:
The textures are stored as headerless 8bpp ILBMs (ANCIENT bitmap format, but yay DPAINT!). You can see them using YY-CHR.NET 0.99 using the "8BPP SNES (128x128)" format and using the Level 1 palette (I got mine from Gens). The textures are 128x128px split in half, left half being the mask that modifies the other half to look slightly different when in-game, and then mirrored (i.e. that's how you get the skull on the elevator doors and the shadows on the bottom part of the texture - it's really, REALLY clever).

We're remaking the game for Windows with a friend and I've released these as I needed them for level 1. There's 12 levels. And 200+ sprites. I need someplace to post it all. Here?

Also there will be 3D models.
Sobot

Post by Sobot »

Here's the sprites. Extracting them was a pain. These are extracted directly from the ROM in binary.

Bullets:

Butthead:

Flamebot:

Flybot:

Graybot:

Plasma Node and Orbos:

Shieldbot:

Walkbot:

Weakbot:

Player:

Scenery, Pickups and Explosions:

Weapons:

HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Straight from the ROM file? Sweet! Thank you very much for this. I don't doubt it was a pain to extract these. Just out of curiosity though, would extracting the textures be possible? I can't see much use for them outside of a Bloodshot TC, but I guess having them available for all to use would be nice either way.

And please, excuse the late reply, as I've been quite busy.
Sobot

Post by Sobot »

The textures using level 1 palette are in my earlier post above (the image is hidden in spoiler for some reason). Please note for now that I've miscalculated one scanline somewhere and now 2 textures are wrong-ish, need to be fixed. I can't remember which ones, I'll find them later.

I will repost when I have all textures with all of their palette variations. Textures are much easier to rip - use YY-CHR (the dot net version "Ver.0.99 (2014-10-19)") and use the "8BPP SNES (128x128)" in the "Format:" dropdown - the textures start after about 1/3rds into the ROM.

Pickup and HUD sprites are best seen through YY-CHR too via different "Format:" setting - but must be manually glued together (I'll do that later too).
DAR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by DAR »

It is better to do this: so that the enemies have a radius of view of 360⁰. How many situations can there be in the gear: when "the enemy does not see the player"? I don't remember such situations. In this case: why draw new sprites?
360⁰ is an idea for additional levels of difficulty. With a mouse: not difficult.🦾
DAR

Post by DAR »

A game in which the player approaches an opponent from behind is not a "bloodshot". The motion sensor is not a complicated technique. 🙂
DAR

Post by DAR »

Sorry: I'm a bit confused (I have low hemoglobin). 360 degree viewing angle is a common feature for any level of difficulty. Without it - in any way (or it will be another game). By the way, I remember another strange thing in the game: until you look at the enemy, he does not see you, but when you turn to him, he immediately notices you. But I don't remember if this applies to all enemies or just some. Sometimes it helps to get through easier.
360 degree viewing angle is the only solution.
A sharp strafe - also needs to be done. Otherwise: the player will be "two feet in Doom" and spirit and body in Bloodshot.

Return to “Resources”