Highway Acceleroid Booster v1 - Life in the Fast Lane

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
GeneralDelphox
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Highway Acceleroid Booster v1 - Life in the Fast Lane

Post by GeneralDelphox »

It's a new year, and term here is just gonna start out another excellent year of Doom modding with this one. Congrats on the release!
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by potetobloke »

Bipedal Vehicular Manslaughter, I love it!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

So i played the mod for a moment and as usual, you never disappoint me. In fact, it's very surprising and neat! The playable character feels super fast, quick, agile, also overpowered as well. In a good way.

I've found no gripes at the moment, but when i dash while crouching, nothing happens but slow my speed down. Some kind of dash kick for this would be neat though!
FaxedHead

Post by FaxedHead »

Are there any fitting maps/monster replacement mods worth mentioning? I was using the low-res texture pack w/ "Meridian" monster replacement mod with Perdition, but this mod definitely needs some space to run around!
NTSM

Post by NTSM »

This Mod finally brings a little more 'Speed' and 'Power' to my/our Life. :D Sonic can pack up, here comes the Booster Girl! ^^ 8-) :wub:
There is hardly any more sexy horsepower. :wink:
Revae

Post by Revae »

Marisa Kirisame wrote: But the mirrors are still not mirrors uwu.
Apparently that's not possible atm.
But what if you made like 100 one pixel wide ... render targets... (or whatever they're called here)... and then organized them horizontally backwards...
Bet that would be stupid.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Thank you all very much. I was worried about how this would be received, given it's got a very specific niche that not a lot of maps cater to, but. Hopefully folks continue to enjoy it.
CanisLaticanis wrote: EDIT: Okay, tooling around, a few feature requests...
  • Possibly make the Fuse Plug gain fire damage after getting the nitrous (berserk pack)? Could be behind a CVar if that's too powerful.
  • Allow switching between Star Shredder and Clutch Buster so you can conserve ammo for the Star Shredder if desired (possibly via reload key).
  • the 'have weapon on start' settings all use the old in-development names.
  • Give at least one weapon plasma damage, possibly the Crush Piston?
  • There's a conspicuous lack of cryogenic weaponry as well; potentially it could be something you get with the Hyper-Temperature Coolant pickup?
  • And another bug: occasionally, the disabled body of a robot you get a power core from won't explode.
- I'd like to rehaul the Fuse, I'm overall not very happy with it. I don't like the lack of feedback that it has, at the moment I rely on the fists. Making it get fiery after the Nitro picks up might keep it competitive with the fists, though. I'll look into this, thank you.
- I worry about this; I feel like if there was a way to disable the ammo then there's no reason to use it up and you can keep the secondary effect with the knife without issue. Mind, you can always just swap away to keep the effect, but that takes away the knife effect as well.
- Fixed, thank you.
- Volt Driver seems the most obvious candidate to me. I'll fiddle with it, thank you.
- This is a good idea, thank you. Right now it's the only completely "normal" powerup that only provides a status buff and that's it, giving it some kind of secondary effect would be good.
- Will fix, thank you.

Thank you for the input.
comet1337 wrote:few things right off the bat:
strong backwards knockback, regardless what direction the damage came from. so getting hit from behind turns things into tractorbeams
double jumping and normal jumping restriction disparity (this happens with a lot of mods): if a map has jumping disabled, you can still double jump by walking off ledges. would make more sense to have the jump restriction affect both, or neither
weapons don't auto refire if you let go, until you re-click after the end animation is fully done
Matt wrote:There is a fairly simple fix to this - override CheckJump to skip the jumping-allowed checks.
- I'll see if I can change the knockback to be in the direction of the attack. No promises, but that might make more sense.
- I'll fix that, thank you.
- I double-checked and it seems like the Heavy Cylinder is the only weapon that actually auto-refires. This is very inconsistent. I'll need to think about how to go about this--I like clicking my weapons to attack, rather than auto-refire, but I also know I'm very much in the minority and a lot of people like the convenience.

Thank you for the input.
AvzinElkein wrote:So it only works w/ DOOM/DOOM2, correct? Just making sure.
Correct. I don't know if I'll aim for Hexen/Heretic/Harmony/Chex Quest/Duke Nukem/Quake II compat like I did for High Noon Drifter, but at the moment it should work fine in Doom, Doom II, Plutonia, and TNT.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:You did it!
But the mirrors are still not mirrors uwu.
Revae wrote:Apparently that's not possible atm.
But what if you made like 100 one pixel wide ... render targets... (or whatever they're called here)... and then organized them horizontally backwards...
Bet that would be stupid.
It is actually possible, thanks to Marisa making a patch. But unfortunately, because of an unresolved hardware issue, I haven't been able to update GZDoom past 3.4.1, so I haven't been able to make use of the patch.
It's unfortunate, but I appreciate the hard work anyway. Thank you!
hornbuckle0wns wrote:Is some pretty good fun, love just jumping around on enemies, only problem is, sequence breaking just kills a ton of maps, usually falling into an invisible hole and such. I understand that's the point, but just need some level recommendations. Also, I cannot find download links for some of the mods you used in the trailer (namely rocketjump xtreme and rampancy), so if anybody has a link that'd be cool. Anyways, thanks again, I'll keep playing on safer more vanilla mapsets and hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it more
Rampancy is still in development by Yholl. I was generous enough to receive an alpha build and I love playing it, but it's still in development and I don't know how comfortable he is with folks sharing it.
RocketJump Xtreme, however, is an oooooold old old old old rocketjumping mod created by Cyber, whom is unfortunately no longer in the community. Ergo, it's perfectly fine to pass around his work without permission, right?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3vn3rj1purzr ... d.wad?dl=1
I quite enjoy RocketJump Xtreme, it's a combination of fun level design, and an hilariously-puerile villain.
FaxedHead wrote:Are there any fitting maps/monster replacement mods worth mentioning? I was using the low-res texture pack w/ "Meridian" monster replacement mod with Perdition, but this mod definitely needs some space to run around!
I'm fond of rocketjumping maps. There's also the aforementioned Rampancy still in development.
Captain J wrote:I've found no gripes at the moment, but when i dash while crouching, nothing happens but slow my speed down. Some kind of dash kick for this would be neat though!
Ah, some kind of crouch + sprint combination into a slide might be interesting. I'll play with this, thank you.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Which key dashes? Reload, Zoom, Weapon State 1, or Weapon State 2?
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

TerminusEst13 wrote:- I'd like to rehaul the Fuse, I'm overall not very happy with it. I don't like the lack of feedback that it has, at the moment I rely on the fists. Making it get fiery after the Nitro picks up might keep it competitive with the fists, though. I'll look into this, thank you.
Honestly I like the Fuse as it is overall, but more feedback/punch would be great.
TerminusEst13 wrote:- I worry about this; I feel like if there was a way to disable the ammo then there's no reason to use it up and you can keep the secondary effect with the knife without issue. Mind, you can always just swap away to keep the effect, but that takes away the knife effect as well.
I can see where you're coming from, to be fair, and in retrospect it might not be the best idea - it's probably just my compulsive ammo hoarding biting me.
EDIT: If it does become a thing, I'd suggest that it's all-or-nothing - if you turn off the star shooter, you disable the cloak and knife as well.
TerminusEst13 wrote:- Volt Driver seems the most obvious candidate to me. I'll fiddle with it, thank you.
I think the Volt Driver being electrical works well, but by contrast we have two rocket/missile weapons in the Crush Piston and Heavy Cylinder, which feels a bit redundant. Could also just give the Crush Piston's missiles some sort of plasma warhead (like the Plascharge Launcher in DRLA).
TerminusEst13 wrote:- This is a good idea, thank you. Right now it's the only completely "normal" powerup that only provides a status buff and that's it, giving it some kind of secondary effect would be good.
If this is the case, I'd suggest the secondary fire be a punch or other high-impact attack to take advantage of their frozen state.
TerminusEst13 wrote:Thank you for the input.
You're welcome!

EDIT: Okay, one more thing - after playing a bit more, I found the lag-on-startup for the Jet Divider was getting me hurt/killed. I'd be fine with it having more lag after firing if you reduced the prefire lag.
Last edited by CanisLaticanis on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTSM

Post by NTSM »

When we think about future features, I can think of a few. :idea: :3:

1) How about an in-game shop with which you can buy weapons, ammunition and powerups. For example, at vending machines that are reminiscent of a gas station?
Some map packs that I tested do not have all weapons and Stuff on offer. And therefore I mostly lack a way to get these things without cheats for test purposes.
If, for example, opponents drop something like coins or bills, it would fit a payment option. ^^

2) How about Allies?
I have seen the wonderful art of the individual robots that serve as raw energy sources.
Perhaps, as with Brutal Doom, deactivated (and not destroyed) robots could be reactivated at some point in secret locations? :)

I realize that it all takes a lot of time. :| But the decision is always up to the developer. ^^ ... and from his Time.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

NTSM wrote:When we think about future features, I can think of a few. :idea: :3:

1) How about an in-game shop with which you can buy weapons, ammunition and powerups. For example, at vending machines that are reminiscent of a gas station?
Some map packs that I tested do not have all weapons and Stuff on offer. And therefore I mostly lack a way to get these things without cheats for test purposes.
If, for example, opponents drop something like coins or bills, it would fit a payment option. ^^

2) How about Allies?
I have seen the wonderful art of the individual robots that serve as raw energy sources.
Perhaps, as with Brutal Doom, deactivated (and not destroyed) robots could be reactivated at some point in secret locations? :)

I realize that it all takes a lot of time. :| But the decision is always up to the developer. ^^ ... and from his Time.
For 1: check the Mod Options. Not sure about 2, though.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Congratulations on the release Term!
I was surprised to see the mod released and i'll give it some love as soon as i get to my original PC, since i am away from home for now.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

A thought: when the player gibs an enemy by speedboosting or revving through them, blood splatters on the screen that get wiped away by windshield wipers. Doesn't really fit with the aesthetic, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Also (this happened when playing with a monster mod):
Spoiler:
NTSM

Post by NTSM »

AvzinElkein wrote:
NTSM wrote:When we think about future features, I can think of a few. :idea: :3:

2) How about Allies?

For 1: check the Mod Options. Not sure about 2, though.
Well ... that's the topic with the cheats. :) cheating weapons instead of earning, infinite ammunition instead of buying...
2 is just a idea. ^^ And maybe he make this toggleable too? (if you or others don't want this) ^^
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

All weapons feel great, however there is one which tops them all.
Speed booster/shinespark (can it be called a weapon though? More like an ability) is just amazing and satisfying to execute.

Although not executed like I thought it would be (simply jumping like in Metroid), it took me quite a bit of brute learning to finally understand how to execute the spark.
Still, maneuvering around tight corners and in small rooms to execute it to swiftly deal with an enemy in a one quick swipe is just beyond great.

Though, to be honest, it feels more like an infinitely long nova strike than a shinespark to me, just with how it's executed.
(X did a quick leap forwards before doing the nova strike, meanwhile Samus just jumps upwards to do it.)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”