Smooth Fluids for HD Texture Packs (UPDATE- Version 2!)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Smooth Fluids for HD Texture Packs (UPDATE- Version 2!)

Post by eharper256 »

Smooth Doom Fluids Higher Res Version (256 Version)
By eharper256 (Originally By Rachael)

Back in 2017, Rachael made a rather cool mini-mod that I ran for quite awhile that makes Doom's fluids, well, more fluid.

Unfortunately, it doesn't play nice if you have textures with a higher resolution than the Doom standard for flats (64x64). The only thing I've done to her original coding is replacing several references so that the mod becomes compatible with 256x256 size textures, which is the standard for DHTP Alternative, which I use. This almost entirely her work, and I take no credit for it. I suppose the real hero would somehow make a version that detects the currently loaded standard flat size and dynamically changes it to work regardless of your chosen textures, but alas, that is way beyond my meagre abilities.

!!UPDATED 2021!!
Version 2 is here, a gazillion years too late for anyone to care! :)
So anyway, this version:
>> Fixes compatibility for more modern GZDoom's, including a weird thing where waterfalls would end up super strange looking.
>> Is now properly Wadsmoosh compatible.
>> Includes its own textures now so you don't need a thousand extra things in your load-order to use it (though if you want to use your own liquid flat textures, load them after this mod).

In any case, if you want to use your HD textures with Smooth Fluids, then get it here (MEGA):
https://mega.nz/file/RUNxEajI#3uflw0fe0 ... 7ltEcjtL-U
Or here (GoogleDrive):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W21TTW ... sp=sharing
This is a stand-alone version, by the way, you don't need the original Smooth-Fluids.
Ensure this loads LAST in your loadorder (after anything that adds maps or textures or flats).

Troubleshooting:
>> If you have a single instance of the fluid floating weirdly in a black void in a given water pool etc. <<
This is not caused by the fluids mod as such, it is caused by ANY wad or mod that is replacing your flat patches AFTER your texture pack in your load-order. If said fluid flat is now too small (i.e. You have a map that replaces SLIME01 - SLIME04 with a new custard coloured 64 x 64 flat) it will not be render correctly. There is no problem if the map uses an entirely new fluid definition (i.e. it defines a new water flat called GRNWAT01 - 04 and uses that instead). Hence, you will most often find this problem in older wads that maintain Vanilla compatibility and replace Vanilla textures rather than using their own packs~ this is, incidently, why Doom Zero (etc.) states its incompatible with mods, which isn't the case as such, just make sure that it is early in your load-order. Don't forget that you can edit your gzdoom-(username).ini and the [global.loadorder] and doing this is far more reliable than dragging and dropping files onto the .exe.

tl;dr: To fix it, find what is replacing your fluid flats and either a) don't run it, b) run it first in your loadorder so it gets replaced by your HD Texture pack, or c) edit it with Slade and remove the offending flat.

Texture Pack to use?
There is a nice Imgur album comparing the big three HD texture packs made by a nice reddit user Sir_Joseph_Dirt_ if you want to see some of the key differences.
Personally I feel the most consistant and mostly vanilla compliant is Alternate DHTP

But heres links to the others: Alterations; DHTP Original

I actually use a custom pack in the video that is mostly Alt-DHTP, but uses some parts of others.

Keep in mind that Neural Upscale 2x won't actually work (this is made for 4x sized textures).
Last edited by eharper256 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Rachael's Smooth Fluids for HD Texture Packs

Post by MFG38 »

Looks pretty good, judging by the video.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

MFG38 wrote:Looks pretty good, judging by the video.
Thanks. I loved the effect, which is why I wanted to replicate it on bigger textures.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I approve of this. ^_^
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Rachael wrote:I approve of this. ^_^
Good to get your approval. XD Thanks.
eharper256

Re: Smooth Fluids for HD Texture Packs (Version 1.1!)

Post by eharper256 »

!!UPDATED!!
The 1.1 update fixes a weird scaling issue the original had where it would cause just fluid textures to be rendered at double size for no apparent reason. This obviously makes the textures considerably better looking as you can see.

It also now does the waterfalls/bloodfalls/slimefalls properly. I didn't actually realise that they were broken until I tried Doom Zero recently (lol). I guess I need to play more maps with falls in. Furthermore, timings on several animations were updated, so I feel the nukage feels more dangerous and gloopy, and the lava almost feels slightly 3d with the right texture.

New video and download link (also updated on the first post):

https://mega.nz/#!VNdlRaJa!7bxRR1MnuvNy ... 3OWLj-MyHI
eharper256

Re: Smooth Fluids for HD Texture Packs (UPDATE- Version 2!)

Post by eharper256 »

!!UPDATED 2021!!
Version 2 is here, a gazillion years too late for anyone to care! :)
So anyway, this version:
>> Fixes compatibility for more modern GZDoom's, including a weird thing where waterfalls would end up super strange looking.
>> Is now properly Wadsmoosh compatible.
>> Includes its own textures now so you don't need a thousand extra things in your load-order to use it (though if you want to use your own liquid flat textures, load them after this mod).

Get it here (MEGA):
https://mega.nz/file/RUNxEajI#3uflw0fe0 ... 7ltEcjtL-U
Or here (GoogleDrive):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W21TTW ... sp=sharing
This is a stand-alone version, by the way, you don't need the original Smooth-Fluids.
Ensure this loads LAST in your loadorder (after anything that adds maps or textures or flats).

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”