The Sentinel's Lexicon - PvE mapset Compilaition

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mifu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Sentinel's Lexicon - PvE mapset Compilaition

Post by mifu »

Ok, been a while since I came here. Sorry for any late replies :P

Before I cover any of the new posts theres some important information I need to hand out.

We recently moved our git repo over to github! Our new link to the repo is https://github.com/Mythotic-Tinker-Station/lexicon

Seeing as most people have github accounts, this was a good move to move the repo to. I will be asking if there is any bugs or suggestions please use the issue tracker on github to report them.

I'll update the OP thread later. Anyhoo.
Yholl wrote:I tried this out after finding out about it, but had a big problem. Your votegun mechanic basically doesn't work with some mods, rendering the entire vr map useless in them. Even using the console to give yourself the votegun, the votegun has no effect at all. This affects LegenDoom and Final Doomer at the very least.

I understand that it's a cool feature and a neat way of choosing maps, but I think a more mod-compatible method of selection would be a better choice for a multi-mapset compilation.
That is strange, although our focus is zandronum its possible theres issues. I have raised it with my dev team so we can discuss what we can do but im pretty sure I might need more information. If you could do me a favor and raise an issue at https://github.com/Mythotic-Tinker-Stat ... con/issues for me for tracking purposes and we'll look into it
openroadracer wrote:
Yholl wrote:I understand that it's a cool feature and a neat way of choosing maps, but I think a more mod-compatible method of selection would be a better choice for a multi-mapset compilation.
The "Compendium" multi-WAD compilation mod just has you walk straight into a portal with the .WAD's title screen on it. Think that would be a better idea?
Possibly. We had switches before but the convience of shooting stuff is something we liked. Something to try in either those two mods, you techically should be able to use any gun to select a map. Does this work?
Last edited by mifu on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

mifu wrote:If you could do me a favor and raise an issue at https://github.com/Mythotic-Tinker-Stat ... con/issues for me for tracking purposes and we'll look into it
I've never done so before, but I'll give it a shot and hopefully not make a mess for you, hahaha
mifu wrote:Something to try in either those two mods, you techically should be able to use any gun to select a map. Does this work?
Nope, nothing works at all.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

To throw my hat into the 'mod not working' thing, every mod I've tried have some issues. From Gmota's menu not loading to some mods flat out not working. While vanilla this is nice, this isnt really mod friendly
mifu

Post by mifu »

Yholl wrote:
mifu wrote:Something to try in either those two mods, you techically should be able to use any gun to select a map. Does this work?
Nope, nothing works at all.
No worries. You may have noticed Tribream added an alterntive method for voting a map for the next version. Im hoping we can release it soon. It is just a patch/bug fix release.
UnbornDecay25 wrote:To throw my hat into the 'mod not working' thing, every mod I've tried have some issues. From Gmota's menu not loading to some mods flat out not working. While vanilla this is nice, this isnt really mod friendly
Sorry that you feel that way.

Tribeam just made a quick change for me where all scripts are named instead of numbers just in case somethings conflicting.

Please bear in mind the lexicon does have a bit of a focus for zandronum since its purpose was to make server hosting easier by allowing people to vote a mapset so some gameplay mods (especially those that do not work on zandronum) may have not been tested yet. Not saying this is bad however and if any issues crop up id be happy to get them looked into, all you need is to raise an issue at https://github.com/Mythotic-Tinker-Stat ... con/issues

I'd recommend an issue per mod you tried for tracking purposes if thats ok :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

One workaround I've found, for the majority of gameplay mods, is that you ARE still given the votegun, it just isn't selected automatically, and isn't defined in player classes' weapon slots. In such cases, you can pull down the console and type use votegun in order to be able to vote on a level. You will generally be given your actual default equipment once you enter the actual levels.

It's entirely possible that it not auto-selecting might be the fault of the neverswitchonpickup setting being on (I highly dislike auto-switch).
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

mifu wrote: I'd recommend an issue per mod you tried for tracking purposes if thats ok :)
Well there were a lot of them. From the old Terminator mod to the recently updated Doomreal. I'll see what I can do. Otherwise, this is a fanstastic collection of maps
Mech
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Mech »

Since both Discord and bug tracker links are dead, I'll post it here. There's a gamebreaking bugs appearing when choosing Doom 2 Redux with Demon Steele mod loaded:
1)Level 1 - there's morphing room at the level's end, it doesn't morph back, but has an exit which leads out of level bounds, so I had to noclip out of there. 2)Level 6 (Crusher) - Level just completes itself (end of level stats screen is seen) few seconds after starts. 3)Level 7 (Dead simple) - destroying first wave of enemies should trigger appearing of steps, but instead it does nothing.
mifu

Post by mifu »

It would appear i forgot to do the most important thing and update very important things. The OP is now updated with correct info.
Mech wrote:Since both Discord and bug tracker links are dead, I'll post it here. There's a gamebreaking bugs appearing when choosing Doom 2 Redux with Demon Steele mod loaded:
1)Level 1 - there's morphing room at the level's end, it doesn't morph back, but has an exit which leads out of level bounds, so I had to noclip out of there. 2)Level 6 (Crusher) - Level just completes itself (end of level stats screen is seen) few seconds after starts. 3)Level 7 (Dead simple) - destroying first wave of enemies should trigger appearing of steps, but instead it does nothing.
Would require more testing as it could be anything. If i could get you to go to https://github.com/Mythotic-Tinker-Stat ... on/issues/ (thats what i forgot to update on this thread, sorry about that) and raise a ticket for me (would be very awesome if its 1 per level you experienced issues in)

Can i also ask, did you play those in vanilla by any chance and experience the same issue?
Mech

Post by Mech »

mifu wrote:raise a ticket
Ok, will do.
Spoiler:
Why? As far as I understand, this command only shows player's coordinates in screen, not in the console itself. Wouldn't screenshot be better in this case? But if you need it, you should add a mention here that idmypos command must be set to 1 first, else it just returns "false".
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Mech wrote:Why? As far as I understand, this command only shows player's coordinates in screen, not in the console itself. Wouldn't screenshot be better in this case? But if you need it, you should add a mention here that idmypos command must be set to 1 first, else it just returns "false".
I don't think he cares how you get the player coordinates, as long as he has player coordinates he can use to fix the issue. That's usually why someone would ask for idmypos info. :P
Mech

Post by Mech »

Rachael wrote:I don't think he cares how you get the player coordinates
About it: I'm a mere player, not a coder. I don't know about ways of getting coordinates.
I thought inputting the command will give some console output, so I asked. And to clarify my previous post, I only meant the instruction was unclear.
EternalOne

Post by EternalOne »

I love this mapset but there is a small which can be fixed by altering game settings. The problem consists of the imposibility to jump/crouch while playing a mapset, while in the hub you can jump/crouch normally. I found the problem while looking through the settings and found out that the "default" setting for allow jump/crouch doesn't allow the player to perform those actions, the fix was to set the permission to "on" during gameplay of any mapset.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

EternalOne wrote:I love this mapset but there is a small which can be fixed by altering game settings. The problem consists of the imposibility to jump/crouch while playing a mapset, while in the hub you can jump/crouch normally. I found the problem while looking through the settings and found out that the "default" setting for allow jump/crouch doesn't allow the player to perform those actions, the fix was to set the permission to "on" during gameplay of any mapset.
Most Doom map sets were not designed with jumping or crouching in mind, so careless jumping can mess up the intended progression of a map, if not break it entirely. For this reason, many of the maps have them disabled via Mapinfo flags. If one of the maps is not possible to complete without jumping, you should let this project's creator know so that the flag can be adjusted.
EternalOne

Post by EternalOne »

Okay, understood. Only a few mapsets posed this particularity, but don't pose a problem towards the completion of said maps.
mifu

Post by mifu »

Hi all,

I just wanted to give a bit of an update. It's been a while but we kinda left the latest version of lexicon in a bad state, so we are having to rebuild lexicon from the ground up. Because of this, a new version will take some time. We are looking for additional helpers however so if your interested, please join the discord and let me or Tribeam know.

With that said though, we have something special going on that I would like to invite you all too.

We could use a new titlepic! So im throwing up another titlepic art contest!
We had one of these before which lead to the winning submission having their picture as the titlepic of the wad.

So the winner of this one will have their titlepic selected and used in the newer version of lexicon and to make the deal even sweeter, they will get a free month of Discord Nitro!

We will also announce 2nd and 3rd which will have their title pic submissions inside the hub map

Rules for the title pic contest:
- Nothing NSFW obviously
- Has to be in relation to lexicon (theres a custom lexicon cube model in the pk3 which ill link later so your more then welcome to use that as a prop or Afina (lol) )
- Resolution should be atleast default titlepic size of 320x200 but they can be higher if you like (as we can always scale them) If your going to do higher, id recommend 2560x1440 so we can get a cool console back image too
- Post your submission in the Lexicon discord channel: #lexicon-title-pic-contest by the 25th of May, 2020

And thats it!
In short, beat this current titlepic we have.

Return to “Levels”