Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
goldenmob72

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated November 10, 2019]

Post by goldenmob72 »

Can you at least add ROTT's HitMarker ? https://imgur.com/vmmfzAn
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated November 11, 2019]

Post by Tekish »

It's not quite the same, but I've just added a circular style hit marker, available in three sizes. For those who update, you'll need to reselect your desired hit marker, as the old CVAR has been changed.
Frozsoul

Post by Frozsoul »

I'm just trying out HitMarkers and I really like it, but I'm having a strange issue. When I use it directly with mods such as Angled Doom it works without issue. But as soon as I try to modify a hitscan weapon sound (e.g. pistol sound) with a very simple patch PK3 file (containing just SNDINFO and the replacement OGG sound file for weapons/pistol), pistol fire no longer makes the HitMarker sound upon impact with a monster. Any ideas?
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I'm not sure, that shouldn't be causing any problems. Could you provide the exact contents of the SNDINFO? A list of all other mods being used could also be helpful.
Frozsoul

Post by Frozsoul »

Just did some further testing and the issue was on my end. Even though my replacement pistol fire sound is not loud, at its normal volume I could not hear the resulting impact sound. It was only after I lowered the sound's volume in SNDINFO that I could finally hear the impact sound.

I was also curious to know whether if I can easily modify certain weapons to disable the impact sound. For most guns it's fantastic but I feel it's a bit weird with plasma rifle shots. Thanks for your help!

Edit: One more question - can this functionality also be extended to impact from former human's weapons? (e.g. when they are infighting)
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I can't speak to how easy this would be for you since I'm not sure of your familiarity with ZScript or programming in general. But if you are knowledgeable in either, it should be pretty straightforward to modify the if statement used in the HitMarker event handler to include specific weapon or monster class detection.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Request/Suggestion:

If the player is morphed (by default Chicken in Heretic & Pig in Hexen)
show the remaining morph duration.
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated November 24, 2019]

Post by Tekish »

Added in the latest version of LevelInfo.
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated November 28, 2019]

Post by Tekish »

Another update for HitMarkers:

I've added an option to enable animated hit markers for the default and default (small) styles. Basically, this will make them expand outward at different distances based on hits or kills. I've also removed the large default and large circular hit markers. I've never liked how they looked and they took up way too much screen space when they were visible. I doubt anyone actually used them, but if I'm wrong, let me know.
eharper256

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated December 4, 2019]

Post by eharper256 »

Tekish, for Ammoinfo, is it possible to have it auto-hide itself if it doesn't detect a supported game or mod? As an option.

As I use the combined HUD addons package in all my loadorders, I sometimes have to turn it off mid-game when I realise its doing nothing.
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated December 7, 2019]

Post by Tekish »

That was the original behavior before it was changed a while back. The reason it's like this now is because many mods still use the standard Doom ammo, and this seemed like a better solution than manually adding all of them to AmmoInfo. Still, it probably should have been an option to begin with, and it now is in the latest version.

I've also been silently updating HitMarkers over the past week. In that time, I've added options to change the speed of animations and just today I split up the hit and kill marker styles, allowing individual customization.
eharper256

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated December 7, 2019]

Post by eharper256 »

Tekish wrote:That was the original behavior before it was changed a while back. The reason it's like this now is because many mods still use the standard Doom ammo, and this seemed like a better solution than manually adding all of them to AmmoInfo. Still, it probably should have been an option to begin with, and it now is in the latest version.
Excellent, thanks. Yeah I thought I remembered it being that way in the past; but now I look at the changelogs I see that was the case so I wasn't going mad. XD
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated December 10, 2019]

Post by m8f »

May I suggest another style for Hit/Kill markers?
Style: vertical. Kind of two vertical bars to the left and to the right of the crosshair.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Something like this? It's not exactly two vertical bars, but it seems like a decent stylistic compromise.

m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

That would be nice!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”