Doom 4 Vanilla 3.2

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Phobos867

Doom 4 Vanilla 3.2

Post by Phobos867 »

DOOM 4 VANILLA
aka Doom 2016 the Way 1993 Did It

Sorry for not posting here before. I got caught with a high influx of users after the first release on Doomworld.
This is a gameplay mod inspired by Doom 2016, made to be compatible with any source-port (or without any of them).

100% vanilla-compatible and full of dehacked tricks! All under the limitations of the original Doom2.exe

This is not a ZDoom-centric mod, but it is totally compatible with them.
GZDoom was carefully treated with GLDEFs, brightmaps for hardware, translucency and port-related fixes.

Also compatible with older GZDoom versions like 1.8, the latest ZDoom release (v2.8.1) and the latest Zandronum.

MORE INFO HERE:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... a-weapons/

Image Image
Image Image

FEATURES
  • * New demon abilities:
    Mancubi with flamethrowers, Revenants using jetpacks, charging Pinkies, insta-moving Summoners... all the good stuff!
    * Tough weaponry:
    As the 2x faster Chaingun, the Super Chainsaw that can kill almost any demon, a “glory-killing” sequence of punches and weapons with faster animations. Version 2.0 also added 8 new changeable weapons, including the Gauss Cannon.
    * A refined set of enemy sprites:
    At least a better job compared to my initial attempts from 2016, some of them reworked from scratch. You can see the full bestiary here.
    * The Doom4mator:
    An extensive change of textures\flats to set any map on a Doom 2016 mood, including foundries on the surface of Mars or Hellish canyons filled with toxic waste.
    * Powered by DMXOPL:
    The amazing soundbank made by Csonicgo. Listen to a new selection of tracks (a few of them from Doom 2016) with improved OPL instruments. Perfect for some heavy djent riffs!
    * Unusual vanilla effects:
    - Brightmaps for sprites and textures
    - Blood splats on floors
    - A custom palette with vivid tones
    - New COLORMAP tint effects
    - Aligned weapons when fired
    - Quick-weapon switching
    - Monsters with multiple abilities
RELEASE TRAILER

VERSION 2.0

MORE INFO + DOWNLOAD:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... a-weapons/
To play with custom maps, D4V have to be loaded first so the map07 bypasser can work.
If you do it right, you will see the Doom 2016 TITLEPIC and music.

SUGGESTED ADD-ONS:
* Nash's Gore: Vengeance Edition
Extra blood, gibs and particles effects. If you prefer Brutal Doom styled-gore, try this one instead.
* NightFright's Fullscreen Statusbar Mod
Standard statusbar without borders in widescreen resolutions. Have exclusive support for D4V.
* Doom 2016 Music (proj2music3pk)
Randomizer to play Classic Doom with actual Doom 2016 music. You must already own the OST.
* Vanilla Essence (with 320x200p support)
Brings back the retro, more pixelated look of Doom to GZDoom. Very customizable.
* SpriteShadow (Duke3D Shadows)
Sprites with oldschool-styled shadows, like the ones from Duke Nukem 3D.

MAPS MADE FOR D4V:
Chrono-Displacement Labs [Single-map, Boom] by meapineapple
Drought [3 maps, Boom] by Tango

CREDITS:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Phobos867 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 74 times in total.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom 4 Vanilla 2.0

Post by Craneo »

pretty nice to see this impresive mod here! only wish the map07, e2m8 and e3m8 monster-specific bugs were fixed, otherwise it's honestly one of my favorite Doom 2016 mods :D
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Craneo wrote:...only wish the map07, e2m8 and e3m8 monster-specific bugs were fixed...
pretty sure they are...
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This is very cool! Also, there's music by me I noticed. Doom 2 Map02 & Map19, Map05, and Map21 & 28. All from the Plutonia Revisited Community Project wad... oh the nostalgia!
Phobos867

Post by Phobos867 »

PRIMEVAL wrote:This is very cool! Also, there's music by me I noticed. Doom 2 Map02 & Map19, Map05, and Map21 & 28. All from the Plutonia Revisited Community Project wad... oh the nostalgia!
Man, I'm so sorry! It slipped my mind (I got the midis from a very big list)
I will put you on the credits right now.
Last edited by Phobos867 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phobos867

Re: Doom 4 Vanilla 2.1

Post by Phobos867 »

Updated to 2.1
DOWNLOAD
Spoiler:
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

This is the kind of stuff that anybody buying shovelware CDs back in the days could only dream of. Hell, it would have been worth burning an entire CD just for this and commercially distribute it. It's priceless, polished, feels official and needs to get a Cacoward this year.
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

This mod is incredibly impressive. It's hard to believe that it's the same game, and vanilla, no less! Well done.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Phobos867 wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:This is very cool! Also, there's music by me I noticed. Doom 2 Map02 & Map19, Map05, and Map21 & 28. All from the Plutonia Revisited Community Project wad... oh the nostalgia!
Man, I'm so sorry! It slipped my mind (I got the midis from a very big list)
I will put you on the credits right now.
No worries! Thought it was amusing, honestly :D
Phobos867

Re: Doom 4 Vanilla 2.2

Post by Phobos867 »

2.2 VERSION (Oct 19)
DOWNLOAD

Sorry for releasing another one so quickly. I HAD to fix an issue I found with blinking lights ASAP
Releases will get more stable now, hopefully

GZDOOM
- Fixed the blinking light on the Vortex Rifle (goddamn that shouldn't happen!!)
- Fixed the Chainsaw not working without bullets - thanks @Necron 99
- Fixed the Chainsaw pickup giving you bullets

ZANDRONUM
- Fixed the Multiplayer Options not appearing - thanks @DarkShotX45

GENERAL
- Improved even more the Gauss Cannon
- Better balance for some enemies
- Cyber-Mancubus is slightly faster
Phobos867

Re: Doom 4 Vanilla 2.2 - fixed the Vortex Rifle blinking lig

Post by Phobos867 »

Phobos867

Doom 4 Vanilla 2.3

Post by Phobos867 »

VERSION 2.3 RELEASED
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xj6jnhpgj8dn ... 3.zip?dl=1

- Fine-tuned the Gauss Cannon even more
- Improved the Spider Mastermind death animation
- Rebalanced the Spider Mastermind to be more fair
- A few tweaks and improvements in general
- Fixed some wrong numbers with map names
- Fixed some Ultimate Doom textures (brightmaps)
- Fixed Cyber-Mancubi been too agressive
- And finally... added bypassers for Ultimate Doom - E2M8, E3M8, E4M6, E4M8

For E2M8 and E3M8 I modified some maps from Freedoom (as I did with MAP07). For E4 I used some awesome maps from Eternal Damnation by DMPhobos (under the Creative Commons license)

Sumwunn

Re: Doom 4 Vanilla 2.3 - NEW version

Post by Sumwunn »

I've been playing a lot of DOOM 2 lately with Vanilla Essence (Software mode) which serves quite well if you want that doslike experience in GZDoom. Been a while since I've done that.
Anyway I just discovered this a few days ago and I was like "wow, what timing since I'm into Vanilla Essence at the moment".
Just like you said, this mod is literally Doom 2016 the Way 1993 Did It. Heh, now we need a matching map pack.

Currently blasting through Scythe with this which has been a lot of fun.

Marvelous stuff.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

I downloaded the lite version for GZDoom but the invasive resources still appear for example Texts Intermissions, map names, etc..

Is it normal or need to use something specific that comes inside the zip file to make the lite version work properly?
Phobos867

Post by Phobos867 »

Sumwunn wrote:I've been playing a lot of DOOM 2 lately with Vanilla Essence (Software mode) which serves quite well if you want that doslike experience in GZDoom. Been a while since I've done that.
Anyway I just discovered this a few days ago and I was like "wow, what timing since I'm into Vanilla Essence at the moment".
Just like you said, this mod is literally Doom 2016 the Way 1993 Did It. Heh, now we need a matching map pack.
Thanks a lot man. Yeah, the Vanilla Essence is indeed a very good choice! 8D
Doctrine Gamer wrote:I downloaded the lite version for GZDoom but the invasive resources still appear for example Texts Intermissions, map names, etc..

Is it normal or need to use something specific that comes inside the zip file to make the lite version work properly?
Thanks for letting me know, I think I found the problem.
I re-uploaded the file, see if it works now.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”