Varied Doom v2 (8/15/2019)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Varied Doom v2 (8/15/2019)

Postby TDRR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:26 pm

From the deep pit of hacks i bring you: VARIED DOOM

DOWNLOAD VARIED DOOM!
REMEMBER TO BIND A KEY TO OPEN THE VARIED DOOM MENU! (but K8Vavoom has a shortcut to the menu on it's options menu)

Inspired largely by Marshmallow Doom, comes the most feature-complete randomizer to date, including the options to toggle randomization of: Weapons, Health, Armor, Bonuses, Monsters, Powerups and... Treasure?!
Not only that, but it also adds several other options such as: Go to a random map on exit, Pistol start maps, Graded arsenal (all weapons on map start and a bit of ammo), turn decorative dead monsters into alive monsters (Also affected by the random monster toggle!) and Treasure mode!

What's treasure mode? Imagine ScoreDoom, but it works with most mods, and it has treasure skulls dropped around the map randomly for extra score!

Yeah, but that's not everything. Did i mention it works online on Zandronum, works in K8Vavoom and even works with most gameplay mods and Vanilla/Limit rem./Boom compatible mapsets?

NOTE: Unfortunately, due to a bug in the KILL script handling, this mod's treasure mode doesn't work properly with ZDoom LE, K8Vavoom and ZDoom 2.8.1. Use ZDoom32, GZDoom or Zandronum unless you aren't going to use the treasure mode. K8Vavoom will get a fix though, just wait.

So, what are you waiting for? DOWNLOAD VARIED DOOM!
REMEMBER TO BIND A KEY TO OPEN THE VARIED DOOM MENU! (but K8Vavoom has a shortcut to the menu on it's options menu)

No screenshots, i mean, do you really want to see a screenshot of Doom but with items and monsters in the wrong places? The mod is smaller than a 32-bit 640x480 picture anyways!

Spoiler: Changelog
Last edited by TDRR on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
User avatar
TDRR
A living work in progress
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Location: Venezuela
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Varied Doom v1 (2/8/2019)

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:05 pm

image if this worked well with WadSmoosh and you could randomize the levels from all the classic Doom games. hahaha. but this is cool so far
User avatar
MrRumbleRoses
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2016

Re: Varied Doom v1 (2/8/2019)

Postby TDRR » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:13 pm

MrRumbleRoses wrote:image if this worked well with WadSmoosh and you could randomize the levels from all the classic Doom games. hahaha. but this is cool so far


Thanks! When i get a decent internet connection i'm going to try and add WadSmoosh compatibility.

Did you try out the Doom 1 + Doom 2 feature? It allows for playing both games with Doom 2's bestiary and randomizing maps from both games. Don't have WadSmoosh to try it on that but it should work even better than Doom 2 as IWAD and D1 as a PWAD.
User avatar
TDRR
A living work in progress
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Location: Venezuela
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Varied Doom v1 (2/8/2019)

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:54 am

TDRR wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:image if this worked well with WadSmoosh and you could randomize the levels from all the classic Doom games. hahaha. but this is cool so far


Thanks! When i get a decent internet connection i'm going to try and add WadSmoosh compatibility.

Did you try out the Doom 1 + Doom 2 feature? It allows for playing both games with Doom 2's bestiary and randomizing maps from both games. Don't have WadSmoosh to try it on that but it should work even better than Doom 2 as IWAD and D1 as a PWAD.

i tried a little bit of it, but it didn't seem to mod friendly. had to do it vanilla style for some of the stuff to work. specially randomizing the maps. and i didn't know how to do the Doom 1 + Doom 2 thing
User avatar
MrRumbleRoses
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2016

Re: Varied Doom v1 (2/8/2019)

Postby Solid-Head » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Great stuff as always. Its amazing how much stuff you can pull off.

Love the mod, especially the random map on exit. I never seen anything quite like it and its fun to play. MrRumbleRoses is right, I hope that you bring compatibility with WadSmoosh at some point. The more maps the merrier.
The monsters randomizer is good but I don't use it, because there's already a millions mod for that and I don't think that Josh771 AI director will ever get top in this department. Nice job nonetheless because you're code is very easy to read and I learn quite a lot from it actually.

I also don't use the treasure mode. I just think it don't add very much to the gameplay. Its not like there's a way to spend the points, so its just not for me.
Keep up the good work though !
User avatar
Solid-Head
 
Joined: 11 Sep 2014

Re: Varied Doom v1 (2/8/2019)

Postby TDRR » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Solid-Head wrote:Great stuff as always. Its amazing how much stuff you can pull off.

Love the mod, especially the random map on exit. I never seen anything quite like it and its fun to play. MrRumbleRoses is right, I hope that you bring compatibility with WadSmoosh at some point. The more maps the merrier.
The monsters randomizer is good but I don't use it, because there's already a millions mod for that and I don't think that Josh771 AI director will ever get top in this department. Nice job nonetheless because you're code is very easy to read and I learn quite a lot from it actually.

I also don't use the treasure mode. I just think it don't add very much to the gameplay. Its not like there's a way to spend the points, so its just not for me.
Keep up the good work though !

Thanks Solid-head! I really appreciate your feedback on my mods.

The next update won't take much longer, i'm just waiting until i get done with the mod compatibility fixes, and yup, it includes WadSmoosh support!

The monster randomizer is just there for people that like playing with Vanilla content, but also want some change on their maps. Of course with mods that change monsters it's just nicer to disable it.
Thanks for the compliment on the code! I tried to make sure it was readable for everyone with a basic understanding of DECORATE, and i hope i succeded on that.

The treasure mode is mostly meant for online play, where a bunch of people can compete and see who can get the most score on the map. It's a race that's sorta like speedrunning UV-Max category but with a ton of people running with you at the same time, it's quite fun to play with 4 people and fairly large maps.

MrRumbleRoses wrote:i tried a little bit of it, but it didn't seem to mod friendly. had to do it vanilla style for some of the stuff to work. specially randomizing the maps. and i didn't know how to do the Doom 1 + Doom 2 thing


What mod did you have issues with? This is meant to be mod friendly and in fact it works with basically everyhing except Brutal Doom v21 for some reason, if that's the mod you have problems with, then i just can't fix that as it's pretty much the dev's fault. Brutal Doom v20 and Project Brutality do work just fine.

Doom 1 + Doom 2 works fine with WadSmoosh, just set the current game in the Varied Doom menu to Doom 1 + Doom 2 and it will just work.
User avatar
TDRR
A living work in progress
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Location: Venezuela
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Varied Doom v1 (2/8/2019)

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:13 am

well it's not BDv21. but i guess i'm still trying to figure out the mod and like the right place to put it. i've been experimenting with different mods more or less. specially randomizers as well. like the last thing i tried was the Lt. Typhon mod for normal Doom with Sigil replacing episode 3
User avatar
MrRumbleRoses
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2016

Re: Varied Doom v2 (8/15/2019)

Postby TDRR » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Updated! This update adds full WadSmoosh and K8Vavoom support.

Download link in the first post, as always!
User avatar
TDRR
A living work in progress
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Location: Venezuela
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Varied Doom v2 (8/15/2019)

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 pm

TDRR wrote:Updated! This update adds full WadSmoosh and K8Vavoom support.

Download link in the first post, as always!

what's K8Vavoom?
User avatar
MrRumbleRoses
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2016

Re: Varied Doom v2 (8/15/2019)

Postby TDRR » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:05 am

MrRumbleRoses wrote:
TDRR wrote:Updated! This update adds full WadSmoosh and K8Vavoom support.

Download link in the first post, as always!

what's K8Vavoom?


It's a sourceport. If you like using dynamic lights then you will probably love K8Vavoom!
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ever-dies/
User avatar
TDRR
A living work in progress
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Location: Venezuela
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Varied Doom v2 (8/15/2019)

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:26 am

TDRR wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:
TDRR wrote:Updated! This update adds full WadSmoosh and K8Vavoom support.

Download link in the first post, as always!

what's K8Vavoom?


It's a sourceport. If you like using dynamic lights then you will probably love K8Vavoom!
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ever-dies/

well it seems to be a total fuck nut with my controller for some reason. so i guess i'll pass on that sourceport. but with this mod though. this could be one hell of a randomizer series to do. specially with WadSmoosh. playing all the Doom games and not knowing what's gonna be next
User avatar
MrRumbleRoses
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2016

Re: Varied Doom v2 (8/15/2019)

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 pm

ok, so i don't know if it's WadSmoosh or this mod but. i was gonna do a BIG let's play series of Doom Complete aka WadSmoosh with this mod. and i got The Waste Tunnels twice. it was kinda weird
User avatar
MrRumbleRoses
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2016


Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Enjay, ShockwaveS08, Simple Pie [RSS], Static and 16 guests