Recognisable corpses

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Recognisable corpses

Post by Enjay »

Anyone got a good source of recognisable (prefrably reasonably reasonably civilian looking) corpse sprites?

By "recognisable" I mean that many corpses are actually a little hard to recognise what they were meant to look like when they were alive. Given that these will only ever be seen in their dead state, they need to be reasonably identifiable.

I have a few:

Not sure where they came from originally (action Doom?) but some more variety and different people-types (race, gender etc) would be good.

I know that I could just grab the last frame of some fully sprited actors but, like I said, the recognisability thing is an issue for many of them.
Enjay

Re: Recognisable corpses

Post by Enjay »

Just found these on Realm667 - I forgot they existed.

Image Image

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/p ... ng-corpses

A bit military looking for what I wanted, but they will help. So far no females. The search continues...
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

While these would surely require some deep edits, maybe they can come useful with some frankenspriting.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

As you say, they may require a bit of work because the graphical style is quite different to doom. However, one or two might be useful. Thanks.

Further suggestions still welcome. :)
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

body one, five, and six are from action doom

body two, three, and four are more of customs from realm667
Vegeta(dw)

Post by Vegeta(dw) »

Ghost Buster DOOM 2 has some. RTC-3057 has some too (not sure if the author allow the use of their resources).
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay, I can knock out some originals for you if you explain precisely what you are looking for, eg; what is the theme of the project, what's the context, what time period, colours, clothing, etc. I do know you want male and female variants but that's about it. If you'd rather not disclose it publicly, feel free to send me a PM. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

No real secrets. :)

Sci-fi themed, planet colony of some sort, mostly civilian, around about as far into the future as Doom. Could be a mining colony, first colonisers, etc kind of environment (it's not an Aliens mod, but I guess something like the colony on LV-426 was meant to be wouldn't be too far out (though perhaps a bit less science researchy). There would definitely be workers, support staff and just general population (families etc). I just need enough to paint the picture that the place was occupied before bad stuff started happening. :twisted:

If you could do anything along those lines, even a single sprite to add to what I already have, that would be amazing.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I am imagining something along the lines of System Shock, so I tried making a dead female scientist/doctor maybe? I don't know if this fits the art style of your mod... so I only made 1 character for now. If you like it, I'd gladly do more variants. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's amazing, and something like that would be great. Definitely recognisable as an individual. TheSystem Shock setting wouldn't be too far from the mark.

The mod still uses Doom resources, so slightly "stockier" shaped people would be better. That one is taller and more realistically proportioned compared to your average Doom sprite.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I noticed that too after posting it, but wasn't sure what to think. Good thing it was modeled; I'll go ahead and adjust the proportions to be more Doom-ey, and do a few more variations while I'm at it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

This is the best I could do... turns out modeling something to look Doom-ey is much harder than I thought. :) I'm not sure how usable these are to you. Perhaps you can salvage these by frankenspriting them into something better...

If this style is okay for you though, I can make a few more.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:That's amazing, and something like that would be great. Definitely recognisable as an individual. TheSystem Shock setting wouldn't be too far from the mark.

The mod still uses Doom resources, so slightly "stockier" shaped people would be better. That one is taller and more realistically proportioned compared to your average Doom sprite.
Part of the Doom sprite stockiness is that they compensate for the 20% vertical stretch based on aspect ratio issues, but for a body lying horizontally on the ground the same phenomenon instead encourages creating a base sprite that is a bit thinner than normal.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Sprites
You may not be happy with them, but they look great to me. They are clearly dead people, they look different to each other and they obviously didn't meet a pleasant death. I don't need huge numbers more but if you're up for doing some, I'll gladly use them. Thanks. :)

[edit] One thing that makes some of them quite difficult to use is the "where is the bottom of the sprite" factor. e.g. for the first scientist, if I set the sprite offsets so that its back is on the floor, the right leg will be well below the floor and clipped off. If I set it so that the bottom of the right leg is on the floor, the body looks as if it is floating. As flat a sprite bottom as possible works best in OpenGL[/edit]

Gez, I get and understand what you are saying but even taking the 1:1.2 thing into consideration, Doom humans still have a certain stockiness to them. That does, of course, make creating lying down sprites difficult for the reasons that you identified though.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

old thread but i dunno if still wanted or not and I've just made these, so: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35861&start=60#p1124352

Return to “Requests”