Auto-Update

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Chris wrote: You don't seem to trust a lot of Windows software, then (back when I had Zonealarm, it asked me about quite a few programs accessing the internet that I had no clue had been accessing it), yet you seem to still use Windows.

It is one thing not to trust certain software. But when it comes to Windows it is not that easy to dump it when you need it all the time for some reason. And before you ask, LInux is not an alternative because 90% of the software I use on a regular basis doesn't work with it.

And no, I do not trust Windows.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Chris wrote: You don't seem to trust a lot of Windows software, then (back when I had Zonealarm, it asked me about quite a few programs accessing the internet that I had no clue had been accessing it), yet you seem to still use Windows.

It is one thing not to trust certain software. But when it comes to Windows it is not that easy to dump it when you need it all the time for some reason. And before you ask, LInux is not an alternative because 90% of the software I use on a regular basis doesn't work with it.

And no, I do not trust Windows.
I just want to mention that people too often say that they cannot use Linux because it doesn't have the software they use. However, software itself is not important. The protocols and file formats that are supported (and more generally the functions that are easy to perform with some existing software) are what is important. Really, the only thing for which using similar software isn't really an acceptable substitute is games.

Graf, I am curious just what these things are that you can do in Windows that you cannot in Linux. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but would you mind giving some examples (other than the obvious: games)?
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

As we speak, I'm working on implementing update checking into ZDoom.
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

charris wrote:As we speak, I'm working on implementing update checking into ZDoom.
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Not Zsteam! :P
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

So, "checking for updates" = steam?

I thought "disallowing to play without", "violation against license to circumvent", "YOU NEED THIS TO RUN OUR GAEM!!!!11" = steam
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

Note the :p in the post...
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

This really went off on a tangent, so I split the topic and put the remainder in off-topic.

In regard to the original feature suggestion, it wouldn't be too hard since I already have some simple web client code written. Except, how do you decide when to suggest the user upgrade? Immediately when a new version is available is often not a good idea for somebody who doesn't know any better. I'd rather leave that decision up to them.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Except, how do you decide when to suggest the user upgrade?
After a while of testing. Like, say, if you release it, make a note on the forums, and after a week or so there's no noteable problems. No, it wouldn't be perfect, but then again, nothing would be.
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

Plus, randy, what if its somethin like Void thats being played with .63a because Void doesn't run properly on new versions.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”