Adonis: Escape from Urania (cl9 Boom megawad)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
riderr3

Adonis: Escape from Urania (cl9 Boom megawad)

Post by riderr3 »

Download link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... ads/adonis
Alternate link for download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/m49ylpcj1 ... s.zip/file

The purpose of this megawad is simple - I wanted to make something like Urania, but more balanced and using Boom engine. Moreover, when making this I learned a lot of Boom tricks.

Description : 17-map Boom megawad, sequel of Urania. After defeating the tyrant monster from Urania, your spaceship was hit by unknown forces and you had to catapult back to the surface of Urania, in the industrial area, between the jungle and the mountains. Earth coalition ships are under fire and cannot help you. Received information from the command center: this time the threat comes from the moon of Urania - Adonis. The task is to find a way to get to Adonis and destroy the enemies there.
Break through the industrial district, floating archipelago and malevolent lagoon in this custom mapset for Doom 2.

Features:
-new props and textures, includes animating and switches
-three new monsters, but usual Doom 2 monsters will stayed
-no inescapable pits
-tough gameplay but no so stressful like Urania does
-less switch hunting, though there is enough huge and long maps
-new midis (list of midi files are under the spoiler below)
-maps is multiplayer compatible
-bonus MAP33 which contains conjoined map parts of Urania which were not included for various reasons

WAD info:
Spoiler:
Screenshots, click to enlarge:

Midi music list:
Spoiler:
Some interesting facts about making Adonis:
Spoiler:
Old versions:
Spoiler:
Last edited by riderr3 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:58 am, edited 15 times in total.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Adonis: Escape from Urania (cl9 Boom megawad)

Post by Kappes Buur »

In the imgur tags delete the .png to display the images. :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Kappes Buur wrote:In the imgur tags delete the .png to display the images. :)
And the "i." preceding the "imgur.com" - otherwise you'll get broken links.
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Image links is fixed ;-)
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Wad is updated to rc2.
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ec4vrwr2v ... is_rc2.zip

Changelog:
-added MAPINFO, now wad works correctly with mods
-added description of wad on HELP page (F1 key in the game)
-small bug fixes for Dehacked
-MAP01 - 2 rockets added near the blue door
-MAP03 - fixed getting the blue key and items on neighboring pedestals ahead of time; the texture is aligned near short red torch
-MAP05 - fixed gratings in tunnel, their back sides are clipped through the floor previously
-MAP31 - fixed sky scrolling in ZDoom-based ports
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Looks pretty cool :)
Talon1024

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

I've been playing through this WAD a few times lately.

The first time I played through this WAD, I got stuck on MAP12 because one particular switch was hiding in an inconvenient spot.

I also didn't like the surprise cyberdemon ambush on MAP11. I think it would be nice if you didn't have to wait for him to teleport in.

I've found most of the secrets, except for one on MAP06. One of the secrets on MAP13 (the torch in the center of the room you enter after climbing on top of the ledge and entering the cave) is a bogus secret area, due to it being unreachable and having nothing in it. I don't know for sure, but it's possible that the secret I'm missing on MAP06 is also unreachable.

Aside from those issues, I think Adonis lives up to its stated goal of being less stressful than Urania, although I admit I haven't played much of Urania.

On the other hand, I like seeing my textures in megawads like this.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

Hello at the moment I am enjoying these levels but already I am a little bit stuck. After hitting the yellow switch on map hate I have absolutely no idea where I should go to progress the level since I have already explored the areas available to me that are not behind blue forcefields.
Talon1024

Post by Talon1024 »

I found the secret I previously missed on MAP06:
Spoiler:
Also, for some reason, there is more than one blue keycard on MAP08.
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

hammer oz wrote: Hello at the moment I am enjoying these levels but already I am a little bit stuck. After hitting the yellow switch on map hate I have absolutely no idea where I should go to progress the level since I have already explored the areas available to me that are not behind blue forcefields.
It is optional switch (the one at the cinema I suppose). You need to search in left wing of the station to find the switch for turning off the forcefields.
Talon1024 wrote: One of the secrets on MAP13 (the torch in the center of the room you enter after climbing on top of the ledge and entering the cave) is a bogus secret area, due to it being unreachable and having nothing in it.
Yeah I'll fix it later, there was previously a soulsphere with lift, which was removed later. I don't know how I missed this because I maxed every map.
Talon1024 wrote: Also, for some reason, there is more than one blue keycard on MAP08.
Not a bug, but a feature of this particular map. You'll have to choose the path.
Talon1024 wrote: On the other hand, I like seeing my textures in megawads like this.
Yeah, I've using them instead of using Plutonia as main IWAD. Your textures are better alternatives.
Talon1024

Post by Talon1024 »

Also, before I forget, there is a redundant secret on MAP02 near the red key (sector #338 and #356 are both adjacent secret sectors).
Talon1024

Post by Talon1024 »

I just found another possible bug: on Map05, I was able to circumvent the barrier near the start by using the underground river, and then ignoring the switch that lowers it until the Spider Mastermind appears. Pressing the switch that lowers the barrier once the SMM appears (at which point the barrier is raised twice) will lower the barrier permanently.
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Wad is updated to RC3 and it seems to be the final one which will be uploaded to idgames archive.
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/p39x6ad2u ... is_rc3.zip

Changes:
-Dehacked: added expressions \n\n to allow for correct display of story text at lower display resolutions
-Dehacked: slightly increased the weight of flying evil eyes
-Demos has been updated to match the maps
-MAP02: removed redundant secret sector near the soulsphere in the south-east area; 4 actually harmless pinkies replaced by 2 cacodemones in the SSG area
-MAP05: activator near the red door now also lowers the barrier at the roadblock
-MAP06: stimpack was added to one of the ambushes after the light was turned off; fixed distortions of the forcefield near sector 857
-MAP07: fixed sector 485, which should not be harmful
-MAP08: fixed teleport lines in a tunnel in which you could get stuck before
-MAP13: removed redundant secret sector and fixed the bug "slime trail"
-MAP31: 2 more teleports added in the void and candles added for better visibility
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

IDgames link on final version of wad is up:https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... ads/adonis
OP is also updated.

Changes:
Final (latest):
-MAP02: added one more trap activation line with revenants through the pit with acid (there used to be a chance that the player would miss it); because of the blocking lines, the group of spectres in the trap near the soulsphere was replaced by imps and one hell knight; fixed midi track

Return to “Levels”