Performance issue

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
dademargot

Performance issue

Post by dademargot »

I am having some troubles when playing maps with 600 enemies and up.

Are there any commands I can use to force clear all the corpses and the empty ammo boxes on the ground? (not sure if that's what causing it but even killing all monsters in high number enemies levels doesn't not stop the lag).

I went through the "clean" or "clear" console but I don't see anything, nothing to flush either.

I already set the janitor preference to clean as often as possible but that doesn't seem to stop the lagging, for some reason it doesn't clean everything.

Anything else I can try? On maps whit 600 or less I have no problem at all. Thanks!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Performance issue

Post by wildweasel »

Which maps?
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

You mention a "janitor", this means that you are probably playing with some mod. It would be handy to know which one.
dademargot

Post by dademargot »

m8f wrote:You mention a "janitor", this means that you are probably playing with some mod. It would be handy to know which one.
sorry sorry, I am playing with project brutality 3.0 and gzdoom 3.7.2
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's your computer hardware specs? Project Brutality is not quite the type of mod that goes easy on your system.
dademargot

Post by dademargot »

wildweasel wrote:Which maps?
I am going by memory so don't quote me on these

couple of maps in "goingdown" the last one for sure game over I think it's called and another one I can't think of right now;

Monster condo in "alien vendetta", and I am sure it had another high density enemy map lagging bad;

episode 3 and 5 in "1st wave V1.2"

"Scythe 2" had couple of maps lagging can't remember which ones

And couple of more maps here and there I can't think of the megawad names.

If necessary I can go through them and find the missing levels, this map I know was lagging It had a very long dark corridor lit up with red lights every few steps filled with enemies whit teleporters at each ends, it kind of looked like the inside of a vortex, it then took you to a almost castle scenario (sorry for the really bad description :-? but I can't find it), I think it had around 800 enemies in it

edit: found the map it's blood falls in alien vendetta, in ultra violence it has 1354 enemies!
Last edited by dademargot on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
dademargot

Post by dademargot »

Graf Zahl wrote:What's your computer hardware specs? Project Brutality is not quite the type of mod that goes easy on your system.
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

Come to think that it lags also when I have a lot of enemies at the same time (more than 100 simultaneously), like spirit world in scythe 2, but when I kill them I am fine.

On the other hand the lag stays in maps with 600 or more even if I encounter them few at the time (it usually starts mid level or so) or even if you use killmonsters in the console and kill them all, weird
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

While a Core 2 Duo certainly isn't slow on its own, it is getting up there in years, and GZDoom by nature can't leverage all of the chip's feature set to improve speed with all the actor spam going on. If you were to run those maps without Brutality loaded, you might find they perform much better. But Brutal and its derivatives are spitting out actors and thinkers with reckless abandon. Every enemy that is still alive has a handful of them tied to it for things like the headshot system, and exploding them multiplies this by an order of magnitude. Every droplet of blood, every particle of smoke and fire, is another actor the game has to process, with full collision and even "AI" logic. And because Doom is the way it is, these things must be done on every single actor, in sequence, every frame. That is why things slow down so much.

Newer CPUs can mitigate the problem, somewhat, but no amount of extra cores will help - it has to be raw GHz, single core brute force.
dademargot

Post by dademargot »

That paints a picture really well, and yes as you say without Brutality loaded it's way much better, not 100% as one could think but waaay better.

And I understand that during action everything is being calculated, but when you kill everyone it still feels it has some processes accumulated that it has to go through. I am saying that because the first couple of minutes it runs smooth. It's later that your description comes into play like a glove. I tried saving rebooting and loading but nothing, also leaving the game running doesn't seem to help him finish these calculations, no monster targets you and yet it's lagging just staying still.

Am I doomed to not be able to play these kind of maps on my current pc? sigh sigh

Or all the thing you mentioned can be somehow, when needed during gameplay, dumped or flushed or cleared or whatever using the console? Just tell the game forget about all of them
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If you're experiencing really bad lag now, an upgrade probably isn't going to help you that much.

Don't get me wrong - it'll help you - just not as much as you think.

The thing about Brutal Doom and Project Brutality is they both tend to spawn an insane amount of actors and no CPU can really handle that gracefully. As Wildweasel said, it's all about how beefy they are with single-core power.

That's really just the nature of the beast, unfortunately. If you really want to continue using PB, you're going to have to ask the author to optimize their code a bit.

As a side note, your GPU is a bottleneck here, as well. I had a 4850 and it was terrible with OpenGL. It might be too old to support Vulkan, but you can try QZDoom and see if your card supports it. If it does, it may speed things up a bit due to using less CPU. Keep in mind that Vulkan is unfinished and there will be other issues - but if it works, it works.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's a shitty ancient ATI GL 3 card and won't run modern GZDoom properly if at all, you could get a new mid-low end nvidia card or a second hand modern one and you'd get much better performance. I went from a HD 4650 to a GT 710 and i got 4x the performance and no crashes AFAIR.
dademargot

Post by dademargot »

unfortunately right now upgrading it's not an option, my computer is an iMac and it would mean changing the whole machine, maybe in the future
omxgamer127
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by omxgamer127 »

wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

omxgamer127 wrote:Try this maybee it can help u
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nd-lzdoom/
You are replying to a topic from two years ago. Tons of your posts are replying to topics from years ago. Please stop it.

Return to “Technical Issues”