[WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

Postby alekksandar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Hello everyone! I’m new to these forums, and even though I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post.
I’d like to share a project for gzDoom g3.4.1 that I’ve been passively developing for a year or so now.

This mod draws inspiration from all over the place, but in the end it’s aiming to be its own thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update! 19.3.2019
I'm releasing a test demo/beta (build v5a), but with just two wave survival maps and a tower climbing map. The main story maps were removed from this demo as they are incomplete. Of course, it's not finished yet, so you may run into problems! Do tell what you think, and please do share any bugs you may encounter.

NOTE: Make sure you re-bind your keys to include a jump button, enable mouselook, and remember - you can use potions/items with the enter key!

https://alekk.art/Decadence/Decadence%2019-3-2019.rar QZDoom with Freedom2 and the mod, with settings already set. (27MB)
(EDIT: will have to check if settings are actually saved in the directory!)

https://alekk.art/Decadence/Decadence%2019-3-2019.pk3 Just the mod .pk3 (11MB)

Ideally you need Doom2/Freedoom2, but Doom1/Freedoom1 should work too.
You'll also need to bind a key to jump, and set Always Mouselook to 'On', if you're just downloading the .pk3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an overly-dramatic video; I don't own the music in it though.
http://alekk.art/Decadence/Video1.mp4

Features:
-buying weapons and stuff from NPCs
-planning to have quests and stuff
-No hitscan weapons
-16 color palette art style? I don’t know, I’m grasping at straws here.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Enemies
Spoiler:

Weapons
Spoiler:
Last edited by alekksandar on Wed May 29, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
alekksandar

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Working title)

Postby GAA1992 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 pm

WOW! These screenies look great!

I don't know why, but it reminds me of both Incantation (SNES) and the Hocus Pocus mod; Fantasy and action together.

Welcome to the forums! I hope we can play this mod very soon (at least i just woke up now and haven't seen download links...)

Success to you! ;)
GAA1992
Demons are a disease. Meet the cure.

Postby Gez » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:48 pm

That retro-cute art style is pretty good! Did you make the sprites, too?
Gez

Postby alekksandar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Gez wrote:That retro-cute art style is pretty good! Did you make the sprites, too?

Thanks! And yep! :) I did pretty much everything except for the fonts, sounds/music and some advanced scripts such as dialogue and reloading weapons.

GAA1992 wrote:WOW! These screenies look great!

I don't know why, but it reminds me of both Incantation (SNES) and the Hocus Pocus mod; Fantasy and action together.

Welcome to the forums! I hope we can play this mod very soon (at least i just woke up now and haven't seen download links...)

Success to you! ;)

Thank you! I haven't played either of those but I do see the resemblance.
As for the download link - I wasn't so sure about putting one out since none of the maps can be actually completed for now, because the player would actually need to go into the map, grab an artifact or do a quest, and trek back to the hub world.
I wasn't so sure people would like a mod like this, so currently I'm only giving it out to close friends to test, but I'll try to put out a download link here as soon as it's in a presentable condition.
alekksandar

Postby Pompous Seed » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:48 am

Aw dude! This looks sweet!
Pompous Seed

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 am

Looks awesome indeed :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Rex705 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:53 am

Oh wow, this looks awesome I can't wait!
Rex705

Discord: Rex705
Twitch ID: Rex705

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:36 pm

this just looks... fun

idk why but it has a very endearing style, and it looks like everything is hand made too. yknow since it looks like a complete tc, ever thought about doin some fleshing out and selling it?
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby alekksandar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks everyone! I hope I'll be able to release something playable soon enough.

chronoteeth wrote:this just looks... fun

idk why but it has a very endearing style, and it looks like everything is hand made too. yknow since it looks like a complete tc, ever thought about doin some fleshing out and selling it?

Thanks! And yep, most of the stuff was hand-made. One graphic/texture I can remember off the top of my head that wasn't is the water texture, which is just a limited palette retexture of Doom's. But still, even though it looks fun, I'm trying my best to make it fun - make the enemies and weapons balanced, making good maps, et cetera - which I find definitely more difficult than drawing sprites.

I don't think anyone would dish out money for a doom mod, but regardless, I'd have to get people to redo most sounds and music for me since most of it was borrowed from other sources.

Here's a WiP of a new enemy type, since I realized I don't have any flying enemies that fire projectiles. And to justify a bump, I suppose. I'll update the OP with a proper monster/enemy list soon.
alekksandar

Postby Sinael » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Looks interesting.
Noticed a lack of muzzleflashes in the video.
Sinael
Russian Ripman

Postby PRIMEVAL » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Magnificent! Love the art style.
PRIMEVAL

Discord: Primeval#4268
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit

Postby alekksandar » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:54 pm

PRIMEVAL wrote:Magnificent! Love the art style.

Thanks a lot!! :)
Sinael wrote:Looks interesting.
Noticed a lack of muzzleflashes in the video.

They aren't supposed to be powered by gunpowder, due to the medieval-ish / fantasy theme. Maybe they're pneumatic or something.It does look a bit jarring, I admit.
alekksandar

Postby alekksandar » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 am

Update! A playable beta/demo is out, with two wave survival maps and a tower climbing map.

Here are some new additions, amongst other things:

-A player sprite,
-Muzzleflashes
-Tweaked Balance
-3 standalone maps mentioned earlier
etc

https://gyazo.com/625b6411d6529982b415eabafbf152c4
alekksandar

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

Postby Amuscaria » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:47 am

Loving the art style.
Amuscaria