[0.2.1] Se7evidas (RPG mod for Doom) | Updated 2018/11/30

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should I make dev logs?

Yes - Dev log videos.
26%
Yes - Dev log posts.
20%
Yes - Some videos, some text.
54%
No.
No votes

Total votes: 35

phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[0.2.1] Se7evidas (RPG mod for Doom) | Updated 2018/11/30

Post by phantombeta »

Dark Realm presents

Se7evidas is an RPG Doom mod set in its own universe. It replaces monsters, weapons and items, along with implementing its own custom gameplay mechanics.
You are a member of a PMC called Lucius, tasked with fighting the demonic invasion. You earn credits for killing demons, and you can sell loot for extra credits.
Most weapons can only be gotten through the shop, while some items can only be found on the field.
Weapons must be assigned to a limited amount of slots through the player menu before they can be equipped.

Note: This mod only supports the OpenGL renderer. You must also disable the "Enhanced Night Vision Mode" option for certain powerups to look correct.
Note 2: The latest release is heavily out of date compared to the current WIP. The current version can be acquired by downloading the Git repository. Unlike some other mods, it cannot be used straight from the zip, you have to either use the "ZZ_Compile_PK3" Python script or zip up the "PK3 Source" folder. (You can also load it directly, as GZDoom supports that)

Trailer:

Latest release: (0.2.1 Alpha) Links: Games supported:
  • Ultimate Doom: Almost finished.
  • Doom 2, Plutonia, TNT: Initial work
Changelogs:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by phantombeta on Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: [0.1] Se7evidas - Public alpha

Post by Vostyok »

Okay. Tried this out. Really interesting, kinda reminds me of the old Counterstrike guns in Half Life mod, where you gradually build up your arsenal as you progress.

I did find a few issues though:

*Some of the automatic weapons could not fire if they only had one round in the magazine. A bit annoying when you had nothing else left.
*Likewise, for the shotguns, neither could be reloaded if you only had one round left. This can happen if you reload before emptying both chambers, leaving you with an odd number of rounds.
*Also, where was the semi-auto shotgun dropped by the zombies? Especially if playing in Ultimate Doom, it means you don't get to use 12gauge ammo, at all, and don't get any shotguns until you can save up enough for the (somewhat overpriced) combat shotgun.
*A lot of items didn't want to be picked up, but were still listed on the items score at the end.
*The secondary fire of that big plasma gun didn't seem to do anything. No sound from it either. A lot of items didn't seem to have sounds, such as ammo pickups.
*What is up with backpacks? They still spawn, but you just drop them on the ground. Same with keys.
*And keys are really small, and don't seem to show up on the hud. On the larger maps, I tend to forget which keys I actually have.
*Also, no credit for Vostyok? :cry:
*I didn't tend to use the dash or sprint, as I was overloaded with controls as it was. They seemed pretty cool though.

That's all for now. I'll bring up anything else I find.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Vostyok wrote:*Some of the automatic weapons could not fire if they only had one round in the magazine. A bit annoying when you had nothing else left.
Weird. Only the Raptor and the Hitter should do that.
*Likewise, for the shotguns, neither could be reloaded if you only had one round left. This can happen if you reload before emptying both chambers, leaving you with an odd number of rounds.
Yeah, that's because I felt it was weird allowing the player to load only one barrel. I should probably make sure it allows loading the last shell if you already have a chamber loaded.
Spoiler: More answers inside the spoiler
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I'll have another play with it.

Apart from that, it was actually quite fun. Finished E1 of Doom with it, played a few maps of Doom 2 and Epic2 with it as well. Might have to forgo playing something like Scythe or Plutonia though, since the monsters seem to like rushing me whenever I have to use the shop to buy more ammo. Might be an idea to have another shotgun type weapon, maybe a weaker version to buy for the characters that don't start with it. Apart from that, it's looking pretty good so far :D

Edit: Another little bug! Switching loadout of held weapons does not remove held weapon! You can continue to use the (now stashed) weapon as if you still carried it, until you switch away from it, at which point it vanishes.
Last edited by Vostyok on Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

I particulalry found a problem right off the bat, I couldnt sell anything. I only got score for killing demons, no 100 completeion, and the items for some reason I could not sell

Edit: I'm an idiot and never saw the instructions at the bottom. Carry on!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [0.1] Se7evidas - Public alpha (RPG mod for Doom)

Post by wildweasel »

I am trying to figure out why weapons forcibly switch away when empty, even when I have ammo in the pool for them. I'm playing as the Rifleman class, for what it's worth.

[edit] It turns out the conflict came from running AutoAutoSave version 0.9; updating to 0.12 mysteriously fixes it.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Whaaaaaaaat?
That, uh, shouldn't happen.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Couldn't even unzip the download from the upload site due to 'unspecified errors'. Let's see if the github is more cooperative.

EDIT: Here's my feedback.

1: Helmet-style HUD is completely cut-off at higher resolutions.
2: Flashlight doesn't work.
3: Being unable to use a scavenged shotgun until you can afford the better one is not fun.
Last edited by Gideon020 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Alright, blew through Knee Deep in the Dead and I have a few things to say

1. TURN DOWN THE SHADOWSPHERE EFFECTS please for the greater good of god. Its nice to feel like you're going through a demonic plane where they cannot see you, but holy shit I was gonna lose my lunch
2. I think a 'Sell all' or a 'buy max' button would be a godsend. It only happened once, but because RNG hates me, I was getting screwed on ammo drops, and was constantly running through E1M5 with my tail between my legs trying to sell off the shotguns to buy ammo.
3. I think that there should be more 'heavy' weapons or more slots in general. There were times when switching between the Shotgun and a Rifle would have been useful, but it just wasnt present.
4. I think that the ammo limit on the .44 and 7.56 could be increased, constantly having to stop to buy ammo for my main two guns slowed me down more than I think it should

Now what did I like, well shit, that list is pretty long. I love the 9mm machine gun, especially when silenced, really reminded me of the silenced Mac10 from Soldier Of Fortune. I like the enemies and their higher intelligence, really keeping me on my toes. I love how close quarters combat inst direct suicide, often saving my ass on more than one occasion. I like the RPG setup, and I felt a noticeable difference in my abilites, comparing to Lithium where I felt the same, just with more health, and maybe a higher jump arc.

So far, so good. All of the things above are nitpicks, and I really enjoyed my time <Except with the Shadowsphere, that is the only thing holding this back from a recomendation> I think with a little more TLC, this could skip right past Beta and into a finished deal.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Spoiler: Replies to Gideon020's post
Spoiler: Replies to UnbornDecay25's post
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, it feels a little weird to be picking up shotguns and only be able to sell them. Maybe just make a pump shotgun usable? I've always preferred to keep the basic Doom loadout in terms of functionality, and it feels weird to have no proper pump shotgun.

It also felt like there were some slight delays on firing with the SMG, like it'd take a half a second or so to actually start shooting. It made the gun feel a little clunky to use.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

God damn man, well you've already put in more work than most, so I cannot wait to see this finished
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Gave the alpha a go, and like Vostyok said, this also gave me Counter-Life vibes, which is awesome :D

I only found a few bugs so far, given I only tried all classes on Doom's E1M1, but here goes:

-most weapons cause the view to jitter/stutter when firing: this is caused by the SPF_INTERPOLATE flag. Don't use it, it's bugged.

-Holding the mod's sprint button and the default walk/run button at the same time allows you to sprint without losing stamina.

@wildweasel Your issue is similar to mine I posted a few days ago. Tekish's SimpleUIAddons caused Xaser's Parkour to break, for reasons unknown :P
Welite

Post by Welite »

Impressive! the guns feel fun to fire and the pacing is good. The download is bugged for me though, I had to rewrite the mod entirely to take it out of the zip file.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

DabbingSquidward wrote:-most weapons cause the view to jitter/stutter when firing: this is caused by the SPF_INTERPOLATE flag. Don't use it, it's bugged.
It's not. This is due to whatever mod you're using combined with it. Removing SPF_INTERPOLATE just makes the recoil look like trash.
(And no, it's not inverted like your bug report on the forums claims it is - it correctly sets the CF_INTERPVIEW flag on the player, just like does)
-Holding the mod's sprint button and the default walk/run button at the same time allows you to sprint without losing stamina.
Fixed.
Welite wrote:Impressive! the guns feel fun to fire and the pacing is good. The download is bugged for me though, I had to rewrite the mod entirely to take it out of the zip file.
Could you explain what you mean/happens? Just saying it's broken isn't very helpful. :\

Return to “Gameplay Mods”