LZDoom 3.83a 10/27 released

Game Engines go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

LZDoom 3.83a 10/27 released

Postby drfrag » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Fixes/features since 3.82
  • Added missing null pointer checks to fix a crash with PB.
  • Added the 'quickunsetslot' command to unset the quicksave slot.
  • Fixed capped tall skies not working (Heretic and Hexen). Fixed sky stretching for the new freelook limit.
  • Implement the following functions under LevelCompatibility: FlipLine, GetNumMapThings, GetMapThingPos, GetMapThingAngle, SetMapThingAngle.
  • Wall and sprite render cull options for the GL renderer.
  • Added support for up to 4 DirectInput joysticks with 32 button each at the same time for fake splitscreen.
  • Added low detail mode (160x200) to the preset scale modes. UI looks horizontally stretched tough.
  • Implement taking screen shots in menus (m8f). Added support for PrtSc.
  • Use signal handler to invoke call_terms() before exit when possible (Conn O'Griofa)
  • Fixed crash drawing fog boundaries in the software renderer.
  • Fixed another crash in the software renderer now with transparent sprites (Stronghold STR12).
  • Fixed ancient ZDoom savegame slot selection bug.
  • Changed how the old quicksave works. Now you select the slot using quicksave like in original Doom.
  • Models are for now disabled by default for the classic software renderer with the new r_models_carmack CVAR for better performance on some maps and to avoid an issue with dissapearing sprites.
  • Allow disabling mirrors for the GL renderer with gl_mirrors as some maps abuse them and portals are much slower in the old renderer. Also reduce the number of default recursions.
  • Fixed vanilla light mode being available for GL2 when it's not supported without shaders.
  • Block scaling for the classic software renderer (D3D), it didn't work and caused some serious glitches.
  • Fall back to D3D for software on systems without GL2 support.
  • Tweaked the 1K Deaths skill setting for Heretic.
  • Fixed fuzz style fallback not working in GL legacy mode. Changed default since software style was too expensive on old cards.
  • A lot of stuff from GZDoom. Bumped ZScript to 3.9.0.
Download
Notice: Some defaults have been changed to fix problems, it's recommended that you delete your ini specially on old AMD GL3 cards.

Fixes/features since 3.61b4
fsplits2.png

• Fake splitscreen support: you need to enable the 'vid_activeinbackground', 'i_soundinbackground' and the new 'joy_background' cvars.
    Start two copies of LZDoom from different folders (e.g. with ZDL), one with -host 2 and another one with '-join 127.0.0.1'. You need a dual core CPU, you'll probably get the best results using software D3D and setting 'r_multithreaded' to 0. Set player two to use the gamepad (left stick to move, right one to look around) and give the focus to player one, works for DInput and SDL.
  • Gives a warning instead of error out on unsupported ZScript version (3.8.3), hacked to run most mods with the original fonts.
  • Support for SIGIL and NERVE as iwads.
  • More DOOM2 compatibility fixes.
  • Auto level compatibility is now optional by Enjay's request: 'sv_njnoautolevelcompat' cvar. Gives a warning on level load.
  • Fixed crash with Eviternity on level end.
  • Huge update with tons of stuff from GZDoom such as the JIT compiler for 64 bit.
  • Reminder: savegames in LZDoom are sorted by filename (slot), to restore the old order use the 'oldsaveorder' cvar.
Original post
From the creators of GZDoom Vintage, ZDoom LE, ZDoom32, ZDoom CL, RUDE and probably even more i can't remember right now comes LZDoom. :)
This is the old ill-fated legacy build. Yes, D3D and DDRAW are back with a vengeance. Just kidding. :P
This will help some people experiencing crashes with the vintage build on some old intel and ati "cards". Of course it will run on older hardware.
I could release a non SSE2 build if there's enough demand but for XP minimum. Same for Linux.
It's based on GZDoom 3.3.2 so it's the new old GL renderer with most of the later stuff added. AFAIR a couple of important things are missing: 2D shape and thick line drawers, i added fake drawers so it won't crash. Also you can expect a few extra silly features. :)
Of course this is unofficial. It's here:

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/commits/g3.3mgw

Copyright © 1993-1996 id Software, 1998-2016 Randi Heit, 2002-2019 Christoph Oelckers, et al.
Copyright © 2016-2019 Magnus Norddahl, Rachael Alexanderson and Alexey Lysiuk.
Icon and logo Copyright © 2019 Daniel Gimmer
Last edited by drfrag on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 23 times in total.
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: LZDoom [beta released]

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 am

Just a reminder: This is licensed under the GPL so you have to provide a link to the source here as well. The minimum would be a direct link to the git repo and the active subbranch.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby drfrag » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:00 am

Yes, i forgot to add the link to the source. It was late yesterday, i guess now it's fine.
BTW this is actually forked from master a bit later than 3.3.2. The 32 bit version is a v140_xp build and the 64 bit one is a v141 build.
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby drfrag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:00 am

I've "joined" Hacktoberfest 2018 with a project to add a D3D11 backend finishing the work by dpJudas in the d3d11target experimental branch. D3D9 would be used as a fallback and then DDraw. Okay this would be complex stuff so i don't expect anyone contributing just to get a T-shirt. This could be a good addition, new and exciting shaders would be welcome too. :lol:
So in case anyone is interested (including randi of course) it's here:
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/projects
Any hints would be welcome.
dpJudas wrote:The D3D11 target is meant to be a "legacy free" target that supports better viewport handling, but still using the old shaders from the D3D9 target. By legacy free I mean that the target assumes the hardware supports basic shaders and 24/32 bit render targets. When the day comes to drop XP support, we can check if anyone with old computer has trouble running with the new target, and if not then phase out the D3D9 target as well. Otherwise just keep D3D9 as fallback in the same way DDraw was used.

This all assumes I finish the work there before getting bored, of course. Right now the D3D11 target has less features than the D3D9 target. :)
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby kondoriyano » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:21 am

this is great ! thx so much for this ! now i can playing any gz3.5 mod with my old laptop without crash
kondoriyano

Postby drfrag » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks, you're welcome.
Actually i've found a serious bug: the softpoly renderer crashed at high resolutions (something about capped skies). I've reverted "removed the 8x8 block drawing code from softpoly", there were no conflicts and apparently it was harmless but it wasn't. It's fixed for the next release.
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: LZDoom [beta 2 aka Helloween edition]

Postby drfrag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:11 am

I've just released a new beta, i planned to do it a few days ago but i was busy with other stuff. It's the beta 2 from OCT 31 aka Helloween Edition. :)
The dither shader is a half-assed feature in LZDoom and needs testing on Intel cards, it should be fast with it disabled and i expect it to be slow when enabled.
Have fun!

Windows 32 bit
Windows 64 bit
Source code
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: LZDoom [beta 2 aka Helloween edition released]

Postby Paar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:59 am

How is this project related to ZDoom32? Are you planning to maintain both separatedly or is LZDoom full on replacement?

Will new GZDoom features like enhanced ZScript incorporated?
Paar

Postby drfrag » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm

As i said above it's based on a recent GZDoom and should run everything for now, then most likely i'll stick to 3.7x version numbering. The lightmaps will not be portable (same for the vintage build).
They are not related and there's some stuff in ZDoom32 pending for a new release. Now an issue is being investigated by MS and i'll try to get portals and mirrors working with MinGW in the GL renderer by changing the floating point model (no fastmath).
Also i could add full decorate support (a few things are missing) but it would require some work and seems there's not much interest.

About the last beta i've tried it myself on intel (i've been fixing office 365 on my sister in law's laptop with an i3 6006u, it's systematically screwed after every win 10 upgrade) and...
WOW! Severe performance regression with that GL dither half-assed feature. The matrix is being created on every frame even when it's not used and i get one third of the performance, disabling gl_dither has no effect. On nvidia there's only a slight performance penalty when enabled. So i'm reverting this stuff.
This is what i did (present.fp):
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... 6d1298161a
I still need to try the vintage build (but that feature is not there).
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby drfrag » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Released a fixed beta for intel with a simplified present shader, of course dither won't work in the intel version. I will revert that thing for the next release.
Sorry but if you're on intel it's time to re-redownload, see links in the first post.
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby DXGG » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:50 pm

THANK YOU! NOW I CAN FINALLY PLAY WITHOUT CRASHES!!!!
DXGG

Postby drfrag » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Glad it's working for you. You're welcome.

I tried the vintage build on the intel laptop (i3 6006u) and loading takes up to 10 seconds, so it's exactly the same.
Regarding the MinGW bug in ZDoom32 (broken portals and mirrors) it also happens in debug builds. The crash with lambdas is fixed.
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Rachael » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:24 am

I don't know what this port is doing, but recently Impie and I tried LZDoom since his hardware is in a barely usable state, and it seems to have trouble using player sounds as GZDoom recognizes them.

An example of a wad with this issue is Project Einherjar - Juno makes the proper screams when she's damaged in GZDoom, but she sounds like Doomguy in LZDoom.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:50 pm

It's a bad merge of "Add "neutral" gender option and better obit formatting " somehow but there was no conflict. The 3.51 beta was not affected.
I'll investigate it. Setting the gender to object works, strange.
Edit: the forum kicks you out after a few minutes of inactivity so i lost my previous message.
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Rachael » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:02 pm

drfrag wrote: Edit: the forum kicks you out after a few minutes of inactivity so i lost my previous message.

Ooops, sorry about that, I was doing a few tweaks with the backend last night and forgot to undo the changes. It should be back to normal, now.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Next

Return to Game Engines