[v4] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map (Updated 12 Feb 22)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[v4] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map (Updated 12 Feb 22)

Post by Kinsie »

This is a quick and ugly looking test map I put together when developing MetaDoom, that has slowly expanded out as I've needed to check things quickly. DrPySpy has been using it recently for his own projects, and I've received interest from others in using it, so I'm throwing it out there publicly for other people to play with.

Directly in front of you at the start of the map is a small jungle-gym like area with bridges in both 3D floor and old thing-based forms, as well as a lift up to a great height to dive off of. Beyond that is a large elevator that upon being activated, goes really deep downwards at a slow rate. This is useful for debugging actors that don't deal with moving platforms very gracefully (or at least, without fucking the framerate - try loading up High Noon Drifter and throwing a bunch of grenades down there!)

The left hand room contains every weapon and item pickup (except keys), along with switches for spawning monsters. The right hand room contains every prop (as well as keys), a selection of animated floors, every damagefloor type, and a deep pool of swimmable water. It also contains some Keens for testing stuff relating to that actor's unique script behavior.

Directly behind your start point is a room with a mirror for checking player sprite animations from more angles than just behind. Jutting off from it are two smaller shoot-off rooms. One is pitch black, making it useful for testing flashes, brightmaps, bright sprites and other things you want to glow. The other has normal, secret and endgame exit switches, for testing intermissions and other such nonsense.

Download!

It's recommended that you edit your INI so that these files autoload when the appropriate games are started:

Code: Select all

[doom.Autoload]
Path=C:\Path\To\doomtest.wad

[doom.doom2.Autoload]
Path=C:\Path\To\doomtest.wad

[heretic.Autoload]
Path=C:\Path\To\heretest.wad

[hexen.Autoload]
Path=C:\Path\To\hextest.wad

[strife.Autoload]
Path=C:\Path\To\strftest.wad
Use the console command "map test" to load the map.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Kinsie on Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:47 am, edited 10 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [v1] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map

Post by Captain J »

Now that's very interesting. I always played vanilla doom 2 to test things around. I had to type words in the console all the time to test things, yet have found no properly made test maps yet.

... Until now! This looks very various and useful. Thanks for this.
nazakomu

Post by nazakomu »

Kinsie wrote: Hope this helps!
Damn right it will! I ultimately thank you for being this generous enough to share such a sophisticated test map with everybody!

I had my own test map but this immediately blows it out of the water since my test map had not even nearly as many things as this contains. :D
>tfw you see errors in your old post from eons ago and then you can still edit it :twisted:
Last edited by nazakomu on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Brohnesorge »

We've all seen it so much and now here it is. Gonna sound like an echo chamber in here but holy crap, thanks so much for this.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I was in the process of finishing a test map too but I forgot to backup that map :'(
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Neat! This'll be very useful to me. If anything the missing textures gives it a nice Half-Life feeling for some reason.
Ma77

Post by Ma77 »

So that's what genie looks like :shock:
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've shrunk your screenshot in accordance with the Image Posting Rules.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

:surprise: ... Is that an unused sprite or something? Or Hacx project is revived and progressing slowly?
Kinsie

Re: [v1.1] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map

Post by Kinsie »

The Heretic map has been updated to fix an embarassing oversight wherein the Orphidian didn't have a spawn button. Redownload at your leisure.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I've got a couple of suggestions for making things more convenient. The first is to have more space to the left of the Pain Elemental spawner and also between the Spider Mastermind and Scripted Marine spawners so that you can save a lot more time if you want to spawn a zombie or something from that area. The second is for there to be an exit switch in the starting room that takes you to the same level so you can reset item spawns.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Is there a way to fix these errors?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Your file is corrupted. Try to download it again and see what happens.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Rachael wrote:Your file is corrupted. Try to download it again and see what happens.
GZDoom version I use is 2.0.05, just FYI.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:
Rachael wrote:Your file is corrupted. Try to download it again and see what happens.
GZDoom version I use is 2.0.05, just FYI.
Your GZDoom version is rapidly approaching its third birthday. Update it.
Kinsie

Re: [v2] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map

Post by Kinsie »

Hello. I have updated this.

First up, there's now a Hexen version. I don't remember why I never released this one. It's probably not finished. So, uh, heads-up on that.

Secondly, each version now has three new rooms!

Directly ahead of you at the start, past the Jungle Gym, is a large elevator that upon being activated, goes really deep downwards at a slow rate. This is useful for debugging actors that don't deal with moving platforms very gracefully (or at least, without fucking the framerate - try loading up High Noon Drifter and throwing a bunch of grenades down there!)

The mirror room behind your starting position now has two smaller shoot-off rooms. One is pitch black, making it useful for testing flashes, brightmaps, bright sprites and other things you want to glow. The other has normal, secret and endgame exit switches, for testing intermissions and other such nonsense.

Hope this helps people out!

Return to “Levels”