[WIP] NULL: Face to Face (14/4 3-map WIP available)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[WIP] NULL: Face to Face (14/4 3-map WIP available)

Post by Kinsie »

Last edited by Kinsie on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kinsie

Re: [WIP] NULL: Face to Face

Post by Kinsie »

Last edited by Kinsie on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Certainly looks interesting. I like the lighting and architecture. Definitely keeping an eye on this.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Huh, what is it exactly? I see vanilla Doom items in the third screenshot, but clearly, it is not going to be a standard Doom mapset.

Also, is it me or the NPCs have no eyeballs?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I spy with my little eye some Doom RPG texture for the doors.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I want some explanation... now! :)
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Huh, what is it exactly? I see vanilla Doom items in the third screenshot, but clearly, it is not going to be a standard Doom mapset.

I think their eyes just have big pupils. They kinda remind me of the 80's anime style with big pupils, and the clothing seems to be from that era, too.
Asenji

Post by Asenji »

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Pretty hyped.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Minor Update: Two maps have been completed so far. I have no idea how many there will be, but five plus a secret is a nice number. It certainly won't be a full megawad, at any rate. I map too slow for that.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Huh, what is it exactly? I see vanilla Doom items in the third screenshot, but clearly, it is not going to be a standard Doom mapset.

While it's a little off the beaten track (as ever), I intend on releasing a "vaccinated" version at some point so people can play it with their own gameplay mods.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Ah, that is cool. I was not actually asking for that, I was just confused by the presence of vanilla items.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

*Reads opening text screenshot*

Durandal, is that you?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Speaking of which, I am surprised no one has made a Marathon-themed mapset/total conversion for Doom.

At least, as far as I am aware of. Yes, I know Samsara allows you to play as the Security Officer, but that is not what I am talking about.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Speaking of which, I am surprised no one has made a Marathon-themed mapset/total conversion for Doom.

At least, as far as I am aware of. Yes, I know Samsara allows you to play as the Security Officer, but that is not what I am talking about.
There was an attempt to rebuild Marathon 1 in ZDoom many moons back, it'd probably be a lot easier now that there's portals etc.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Code: Select all

<INTRUSION SUCCESS - CONNECTING TO EXTERNAL NET "NULL">
<CONNECTION SUCCESS - (1) INCOMING MESSAGE>

Ralph Waldo Emerson once stated that "there is no knowledge that is not power".
Alexander Pope is commonly misquoted as stating that "a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing". Who was right? Considering our entire line of work involves
throwing ourselves into excessive danger, I figure knowing what awaits you won't
make things TOO much worse. Right? I don't *think* theoretical levels of danger
stack like buffs in a tabletop game, anyway...
Those first screenshots I posted didn't have any monsters in them. There was a simple reason for this - most of my new monsters were using Realm667 art and I wanted to mix up some new stuff here and there. There's still some work to be done on this, but I feel pretty happy so far.

Here are two new entries to the beastiary. The Flailure, on the left, constantly loudly oozes and bubbles, with the disconcerting visual effect of its scaling constantly fluctuating rapidly. While it can only attack by swiping you with its claws, it explodes violently upon death - they're truly more dangerous in death than life. Thankfully, it can't blow up of its own volition like many "kamikaze" enemies in mods, so you can weaponize it a bit easier while keeping safe.

While the Flailure constantly makes noise, the Jawless is the polar opposite. Its behavior is loosely modelled on the Wolf3D zombie, so it doesn't make any alert or idle sounds. In many cases, you won't know it's there until it's pelting you with its twin handguns. Needless to say, it's always placed to get the drop on the unsuspecting player, so check your corners!
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'd like to say it's because I've been busy, or because real life hit me like a truck or whatever... but honestly, I've just had a whole lot of mapper's block and generally been demotivated to get out of it. I'm still chipping away every now and then, though.

The third map is in development. I probably won't post much about it here, because it's a little weird and I want you to find out why for yourself. Here's a pic of the intro, though - enjoy the red carpet treatment...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”