[BETA] DEAD MARINE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [BETA] DEAD MARINE

Post by Kinsie »

This is pretty great! Looking forward to more stuff being done with it.
Spoiler:
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Grigori wrote:Any plans for floor/ceiling decals?
I think that would be cool, I know nothing of floor/ceiling decal implementation at the moment though. I might try to learn more about it soon.
Kinsie wrote:
Spoiler:
Plans for the future! :ninja:

And thank you! I really enjoy your work, so that means a lot.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I like this. It makes vanilla gameplay much more satisfying.

One thing though: You should probably use mapinfo to declare player classes, rather than keyconf.
TheEternalStruggler

Post by TheEternalStruggler »

Hey! I really enjoyed this mod a lot, and I'm sorta new here.... but in my free-time I decided to make a mini-addon for this mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lbjtjlgfv ... rv0.93.pk3

It's just a basic dismemberment mod kinda. I've only finished the Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Imp, and Demon so far. It's really basic, and there's no hitboxes. It's just randomized deaths that include arm loss, leg loss, and decapitation.

The only problem I had was getting leg loss death sprites for the Demon.

The Cacodemon I worked on a bit to give it a few random deaths. It's not exactly 100% perfect, I wish I could actually get some decent arm loss sprites for the Baron of Hell, and maybe some leg loss sprites as well, as well as decapitation and a Baron head sprite.

Of course, I'm a total n00b who did this for fun. As for credits... I credit Mike12, NeoWorm, Jekyll Grim Payne, and you (Gifty). If there's anyone I missed, please let me know. I made this addon for fun 100%. I hope you enjoy it! It's a really basic idea/concept, and I thought it's a neat alternative to something crazy like Brutal Doom.

:P
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That's a good idea, the more death sprites the better! Packing in a lot of variety helps supplement that vanilla+ feel.
TheEternalStruggler

-Ghost- wrote:That's a good idea, the more death sprites the better! Packing in a lot of variety helps supplement that vanilla+ feel.
Yeah! It's what I'm aiming for. I'm aiming for death sprites that have a vanilla feel, and I don't want to go to crazy with the deaths. I just want some basic dismemberment, maybe slightly more graphic xDeaths, but otherwise I'm aiming to have extra deaths fit the vibe of this mod.

Because I really dig this mod (Dead Marine) and Gifty did a phenomenal job with this mod IMO.

I'm not sure if he's tried out my addon yet, but I made it with him and everyone here in mind. I also made it after just finishing Doom '16, so I got kinda influenced a bit from replaying Doom '16 fairly recently.

So far....

The Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Imp, and Demon are complete. (I kinda wish there were some leg loss death sprites for the Demon, but I'm not sure if there are any.)

I still need to work on the Bruisers, but it's hard finding any arm loss or leg loss sprites that use green blood instead of red blood. Also, trying to find decapitation sprites for the Baron of Hell and Hellknight is a pain. I like how Mike12 made those sprites for Demonsteele, I like seeing the bone sticking out of the neck of the corpse. It's just satisfying to me for some reason.

The Chaingun Guy I could probably get around to, and I should fix him up.

The Cacodemon I've already finished. Not many deaths for the classic variety, I was also hoping there would be a way for a chainsaw death to be implemented for it that could make it so that the top half of the Cacodemon flies off in a satisfying way, but I guess the cut in half will do for now.

The Mancubus I plan on working on later.... I hope there are some dismemberment and decapitation sprites for him. Revenant, I'll get around to. Archvile might be a pain in the ass, because the only dismemberment sprites I can find are of the Brutal Doom ones and that sucks.... I want something more vanilla. The Arachnotron I might be able to work with in a bit. As for the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind.... I'm thinking about just adding some appropriate gibs to their deaths.

It's fun working on this addon, it really is. But it's a lot more work than I initially thought. lol

And I'm new to this kinda stuff, I'm not really a modder. The only "mods" I've done in the past are things like soft modifications.... by that I mean sound replacements, music replacements, that sorta thing. I'm not really a modder. XD

But I thought why not give this a try? Also, sorry if this appears like a wall of text or it's a bit much! My first time here, so sorry if I'm a bit awkward or newbie-ish. :P

I mean I've always gone on these forums to just kinda read what's up with projects, but I never really joined until recently.

On a random side-note, I really do think TerminusEst13, wildweasel, Yholl and Gifty know how to make weapons feel really good to use. No offense to anyone else! It's just... weapon feedback man. Weapon feedback. So crucial to making an FPS feel right.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Are there any good cut in half sprites for zombies/imps? I remember an EDGE mod that let you occasionally just blow them in half with a point blank shotgun blank, since they'd die from one shot anyway.

Other than the gore I think the only thing this could really use is more decoration variety to spruce up the maps. The dead marines and blood/text on the walls is a great start at adding little stories to even the vanilla maps. That or maybe more visual variety among the enemies like different skins for zombies, imps etc even if they're functionally identical.
TheEternalStruggler

There are good cut in half sprites for zombies/imps. I actually found a few from Beautiful Doom that I wanted to use, but it's a pain in the ass to add extra deaths to the chainsaw death.

Seriously, normally it's as easy as putting
TNT1 a 0 a_spawnitemex("DeathController");
TNT1 a 0 a_jump(128,"death2",);

Something like that.

But lol, you try that with the Death.Saw and it fights you tooth and nail. I tried coding in an extra chainsaw death for the Imp, and when I tried starting it up it said "empty function."

And I'm like what? What is it on about?

I even have the extra chainsaw death in the file under the name of TROY (it'll appear in the Imp sprites folder).
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

This has been incredible so far.

My only issue is that the HUD does not properly scale for my screen (1280x800). If you could add some kind of alternate statusbar with the CRT style I'd be eternally grateful- that's one aesthetic I absolutely love.

If you ever consider adding some kind of secondary automatic weapon beside the Chaingun (in the vein of the original SmoothDoom rifle), here's an edited version of the Doom Alpha 0.5 machinegun dubbed the "Machine Rifle".

I think its sprites are nice and "heavy" enough to fit Doom, compared to the wimpier v0.4 SMG or assault rifle. Pack also includes code for the gun (summoncode MachineRifle) replacing the Chaingun, as well as a zombie marine standing in for the chaingun guy. Everything goes credit to id Software and Skelegant (for the original version of the Heavy Carbine pickup sprite, which I have heavily modified for the Machine Rifle).
Last edited by Retraux Squid on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

A polyratio (is that a word?) HUD is definitely on my to-do list, the main obstacle currently is learning the sorcery required to port everything to zscript where that kind of thing is possible.

I'm also thinking about number values for health/armor, I'm just trying to think of how that would work best visually. If the mugshot/armor icons are gone, we'll need a new, space-efficient way of denoting which bar is which.
TheEternalStruggler

Retraux Squid wrote: If you ever consider adding some kind of secondary automatic weapon beside the Chaingun (in the vein of the original SmoothDoom rifle), here's an edited version of the Doom Alpha 0.5 machinegun dubbed the "Machine Rifle".

I think its sprites are nice and "heavy" enough to fit Doom, compared to the wimpier v0.4 SMG or assault rifle. Pack also includes code for the gun (summoncode MachineRifle) replacing the Chaingun, as well as a zombie marine standing in for the chaingun guy. Everything goes credit to id Software and Skelegant (for the original version of the Heavy Carbine pickup sprite, which I have heavily modified for the Machine Rifle).
While I am not Gifty (obviously), in my spare time, I could take a look at the Machine Rifle you have there and perhaps code in a randomizer of sorts, so it randomizes between the Machine Rifle and the Chaingun.

The Zombie Marine doesn't really have any arm loss, leg loss, or decapitation sprites so it'd be a bit hard for me to code in some vanilla+ style gore like I did for my personal addon, which btw if you haven't checked out, I highly recommend! :)

I made the addon for fun, and well... it's more or less a proof-of-concept. I wanted to see if I could make a basic dismemberment mod, since the ZombieTorso seemed to indicate to me that I could code in some new gibs for the enemies, and so I gave it a shot, and well... most of the enemies (Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Imp, Cacodemon, Demon, Spectre) are complete more or less.

It's just the Bruisers (really hard to find arm loss, leg loss, and decapitation sprites (along with head sprites) that are green blooded (not red.)). As well as the rest of 'em. I plan on tackling the Chaingun Guy tonight for sure though.

Anyway, I agree we need a status bar. It's nothing against the CRT monitor hud (I absolutely love that aesthetic. That is my shit tbh.) But we need a status bar of it, so it doesn't eat up the screen as much and we can actually have a clearer view.

Though to me it's probably the closest thing to what the Alpha HUD would've looked like if it was given time to develop. :P
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Gifty wrote:A polyratio (is that a word?) HUD is definitely on my to-do list, the main obstacle currently is learning the sorcery required to port everything to zscript where that kind of thing is possible.

I'm also thinking about number values for health/armor, I'm just trying to think of how that would work best visually. If the mugshot/armor icons are gone, we'll need a new, space-efficient way of denoting which bar is which.
Even a basic statusbar with the CRT style would be amazing for now. Also, I note that for some reason the fullscreen (numbers only) HUD is blank for some reason unless I turn on Alternate HUD.

Add little CRT "icons" of a medical cross and a shield under smaller numerical LCD readouts in the fashion of the ammo counters on the Aliens pulse rifle or Game & Watch and it'll look great.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

I went ahead and fully completed the Machine Rifle for DEAD MARINE (animations, code, various sounds etc.). I like how it turned out and I think it's balanced enough, so I figured I'd upload it for Gifty's benefit if he chooses to include such a gun- or for any other modders that might make some kind of expansion addon in the future. Did some minor gameplay edits with the Trooper to include the machine rifle (+ a special attack) so that it pops up in regular play. Weapon comes with a working pickup actor (same as the other guns) and shares Slot 4 with the chaingun.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uu8cc18zz ... v0.9.1.pk3
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That AR feels pretty good, blends into the weapon set well.
TheEternalStruggler

Hey Retraux Squid! I liked your idea so I kinda implemented it into my addon. I hope you're not mad or anything! :P

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lbjtjlgfv ... rv0.93.pk3

It really fits well into the mod; I like my addon I made so far. It's just a basic dismemberment addon, it's nothing crazy like Brutal Doom. Just a simple gore mod ala Blood or vanilla+.

I still need a Baron arm loss sprite, leg loss sprite, decapitation sprite (with bone sticking out of neck which is oozing green blood.) along with a Baron head. But it's hard to find those sprites. XD

Anyway, I really appreciate your addon you made, and I like your ideas for the HUD. "Add little CRT "icons" of a medical cross and a shield under smaller numerical LCD readouts in the fashion of the ammo counters on the Aliens pulse rifle."

That's cool. I think the ammo counters should be red like the Aliens pulse rifle too. Something about that is just endearing to me. :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”