Wolfenstein: Shadows of Destiny TC - NOW ON IDGAMES v1.2 - NEW UPDATE

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jazzmaster9

Re: Wolfenstein: Shadows of Destiny TC - v1.1 Released!

Post by jazzmaster9 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote: Finally, the last levels just seem impossible to complete on 'I am Death incarnate'.
Spoiler:
Hint: You actually dont have to use Ammo At All to kill those guys. :wink:
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Spoiler:
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Spoiler:
The flame trap is in the other side of the Super Clone cage. But you have to get around it first.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I take you do not mind spoilers after all.

I know about the fire trap that is already active; I was speaking about the inactive fire trap inside the room where the Super Clones are. Is there a way to activate it? If not, does it mean I need to break the pillars that enclose the area where the Super Clones are and lure them to the fire trap corridor?
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I take you do not mind spoilers after all.

I know about the fire trap that is already active; I was speaking about the inactive fire trap inside the room where the Super Clones are. Is there a way to activate it? If not, does it mean I need to break the pillars that enclose the area where the Super Clones are and lure them to the fire trap corridor?
There is a switch in the otherside of the cage. That is what you use to activate it
jazzmaster9

Re: Wolfenstein: Shadows of Destiny TC - NOW ON IDGAMES v1.1

Post by jazzmaster9 »

The mod has been uploaded to the idgames archives.
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... z/wolf_shd
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Judge wrote:
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Another, smaller gripe I have with the mod is that the undead super soldiers looks more like afro-wearing black men who literally turn into shit when killed. It took me a while to realise what they were supposed to be.
They're not undead, they are literally made from "waste." Areyep was who made the sprites for Spear Resurrection and Spear of Destiny: End of Destiny back in 2001-2004.
Personally I think clones are still kinda problematic and I don't like seeing them, but anyway...

This is actually a remarkably authentic-feeling Wolfenstein experience. You can actually play it like Wolfenstein and use Wolfenstein tactics; it's not just a hacked-up hitscan-heavy Doom PWAD. Even the movement physics are more Wolfenstein-like, though not quite the same. Though the levels are kind of small and simplistic from the ones I've played so far (map01-map07), they are well-paced and the encounter design shows that you know how Wolfenstein gameplay works. I appreciate that all the secrets are marked in some way because wall-humping in Doom is much less convenient than in Wolfenstein because you have to mash the spacebar repeatedly instead of just holding it down. Some quibbles I have:

* The lack of a status bar makes the weapon sprites look really odd, because the vanishing point for the sprites is far below the center of the screen.
* Why no score? The score gave treasure meaning, and gave the player an incentive to explore the level fully instead of just blitz through it.
* B.J. seems considerably slower than in Wolf3D, which makes dodging into cover in the nick of time considerably more difficult.
* The clones/mutants' increased speed makes them incredibly annoying to fight and exacerbate the problem of mutants draining the player's ammo supply quickly by inducing the player to hose down areas to suppress mutants--now you'll try it and all your shots will miss!
* The SS now appear to have an attack pattern similar to Hans Grosse in the original game, which makes them disproportionately lethal and in later levels the sheer number of them strongly discourages any sort of aggressive tactics.
* The Waffen-SS feels kind of pointless to me--"an SS that's a bigger bullet sponge" isn't really a hole in the Wolf3D enemy roster that needs filling.
* All the player weapons do too little damage and the Nazis' health has apparently been reduced to compensate (but not equally, so the balance among the enemies feels a little off).
* The rifle is too unreliable in its damage output to be a useful alternative to the machine gun, and feels like a punishment for when you run out of machine gun ammo. Consider making it do a fixed amount of damage (like the rifles in my ECWolf mods, or the railgun from Quake II) and give it a beefier firing sound and a sound for working the bolt. The BOOM-click-clack rhythm is what makes the Doom SSG so great and I feel it's also essential to a good bolt-action rifle.
* Level 6 is a really unfun slog that amplifies all the most annoying qualities of the clones. I'd suggest replacing it with a new map.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this and I hope you make more Wolf3D-style projects in the future.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Woolie Wool wrote:
Judge wrote:
JohnnyTheWolf wrote: This is actually a remarkably authentic-feeling Wolfenstein experience. You can actually play it like Wolfenstein and use Wolfenstein tactics; it's not just a hacked-up hitscan-heavy Doom PWAD. Even the movement physics are more Wolfenstein-like, though not quite the same. Though the levels are kind of small and simplistic from the ones I've played so far (map01-map07), they are well-paced and the encounter design shows that you know how Wolfenstein gameplay works. I appreciate that all the secrets are marked in some way because wall-humping in Doom is much less convenient than in Wolfenstein because you have to mash the spacebar repeatedly instead of just holding it down. Some quibbles I have:

* The lack of a status bar makes the weapon sprites look really odd, because the vanishing point for the sprites is far below the center of the screen.
* Why no score? The score gave treasure meaning, and gave the player an incentive to explore the level fully instead of just blitz through it.
* B.J. seems considerably slower than in Wolf3D, which makes dodging into cover in the nick of time considerably more difficult.
* The clones/mutants' increased speed makes them incredibly annoying to fight and exacerbate the problem of mutants draining the player's ammo supply quickly by inducing the player to hose down areas to suppress mutants--now you'll try it and all your shots will miss!
* The SS now appear to have an attack pattern similar to Hans Grosse in the original game, which makes them disproportionately lethal and in later levels the sheer number of them strongly discourages any sort of aggressive tactics.
* The Waffen-SS feels kind of pointless to me--"an SS that's a bigger bullet sponge" isn't really a hole in the Wolf3D enemy roster that needs filling.
* All the player weapons do too little damage and the Nazis' health has apparently been reduced to compensate (but not equally, so the balance among the enemies feels a little off).
* The rifle is too unreliable in its damage output to be a useful alternative to the machine gun, and feels like a punishment for when you run out of machine gun ammo. Consider making it do a fixed amount of damage (like the rifles in my ECWolf mods, or the railgun from Quake II) and give it a beefier firing sound and a sound for working the bolt. The BOOM-click-clack rhythm is what makes the Doom SSG so great and I feel it's also essential to a good bolt-action rifle.
* Level 6 is a really unfun slog that amplifies all the most annoying qualities of the clones. I'd suggest replacing it with a new map.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this and I hope you make more Wolf3D-style projects in the future.
Thank you very much for playing and i'm glad you are liking the experience so far :)
I've read your concerns and in hindsight I agree with a lot of them :) especially about the rifle and the balancing of the mutants/clones.
I will definitely try to alleviate most of these in the sequel.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Wait, there is going to be a sequel? :o
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

I'll just leave this here :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Ohoho! Is it going another Wolf3D homage or something more along the lines of that TNO-inspired secret level from Innocence X?
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

jazzmaster9 wrote:I'll just leave this here :)
oh goodie another wolf tc from jazzmaster9 looking forward to seeing how you do this.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Ohoho! Is it going another Wolf3D homage or something more along the lines of that TNO-inspired secret level from Innocence X?
Like Shadows of Destiny its going to be a stright Wolf3d homage.
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

My only complaint is the music. When I started hearing stuff from Final Fantasy, I was pulled right out of the game.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

sherberttcat wrote:My only complaint is the music. When I started hearing stuff from Final Fantasy, I was pulled right out of the game.
My inspiration for the music usage was Spear: End of Destiny which also used music from Final Fantasy/ FF Tactics.
I think it sounds nice given the pace of the game.

I did at one point change the music, but ... well it just didn't feel like the End of Destiny homage i wanted it to be and changed it back.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”