Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Smooth Doom (NOW HAS A THEME SONG!)

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Voros wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the shotgun guy variant with the goggles seem weird?

Yes. XD

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't find it to be weird.
DoomKrakken
All but inactive here on the forums. Contact me on Discord for quicker replies.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby Asenji » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 pm

I don't find them particularly weird.
Asenji

Postby Gifty » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates the past year. Been really busy IRL and my doom time has been taken up with a new project which, hopefully, I can show pretty soon (it's ALSO a gameplay-pure enhancement mod, but takes a different direction from Smooth Doom). I've been working on putting out some fires in Smooth Doom recently and will soon have an update out fixing the stupid 64muzzleflash errors. I think I'm going to disable weapon skins temporarily until I can finish work on the new smooth 64 weapon set I've been doing, and I can clean up a bit of the code around weapon customization, which is a terrible years-old mess that's only gotten continually worse since the start of the mod.
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby NotSoHazy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Voros wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the shotgun guy variant with the goggles seem weird?

I agree with you
It looks weird
NotSoHazy

Postby Gifty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:56 am

New update is up! Hopefully there will be more, the more I revisit Smooth Doom the more stuff I see that feels broken or unpolished. Changelog below!

fixes:
-fixed "64muzzeflash" warning messages
-chainsaw can now properly display black gloves
-rifle can now properly display smooth bobbing effect

changes:
-temporarily disabled weapon skins while I fix up the code and make better sprites (glove color is still an option)
-much improved pistol firing animation (black glove will be updated soon)
-changed brass knuckles back to classic gloveless sprites
-tweaked chaingunner death 2
-changed chaingunner alt skin from "bone face" to "helmet" (frankensprited from Captain J resource)
-significantly lowered the velocity of casings
-significantly lowered the volume of casing sounds
-gib velocity is now randomized
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Re: Smooth Doom (SOME SHIT IS FIXED!)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Nooo, not the alternate skins! :(

Anyway, I have installed the new version over my current install and now, the Rifle no longer appears when I am not firing.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User

Postby EffinghamHuffnagel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 pm

FYI: In the OP, use the main download link (the one that says SmoothAnims.pk3. It'll download the right file) . The Dropbox mirror still links to the 1/20/17 version.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:49 pm

The 'DOWNLOAD ME' link? That is the one I used.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User

Postby EffinghamHuffnagel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Huh. I just grabbed the new version. Haven't installed it yet. I'll try it after dinner.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Postby jonusiescu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi!

I use GZDoom 3.20 and I don't have options for Smooth Doom in menu. The mod works for sure, because I have new death animations (they are great!) and weapons animations are more fluent, however I can't customize anything, especially important for me is new monsters appearance.

Thanks for help.
jonusiescu

Postby Gifty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Man, it's a good thing I'm not a professional dev, I would get canned so fast. :P

I have no idea why the rifle sprites got mucked up, but I have a fix ready. Just gotta wait until I can get an internet connection (I'm coming to you from cell-phone land currently). Same goes for fixing the dropbox link.

jonusiescu wrote:I use GZDoom 3.20 and I don't have options for Smooth Doom in menu. The mod works for sure, because I have new death animations (they are great!) and weapons animations are more fluent, however I can't customize anything, especially important for me is new monsters appearance.

No idea why that might be an issue; if it makes a difference, I'm currently using Gzdoom g3.1.0, but on previous versions I never had an issue with the menu. Are you loading anything else on top that has its own Menudef lump?
Last edited by Gifty on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby Korell » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Sounds like a menudefs thing, where the standard menus were fixed to prevent them from being edited and forcing modders to have to create their own menu and sub-menu entries. Though I thought 3.2.0 was supposed to handle that issue by forcing all custom options to be pushed to the bottom and preventing removal of the standard built-in menus. I've not yet moved on from 3.1.0a though so I've not seen for myself what 3.2.0 does with mods that have edited the standard menus.
Korell

Postby jonusiescu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Are you loading anything else on top that has its own Menudef lump?

Nope, even if I tried to load only Smooth Doom, there was no menu in 3.2.0. However it indeed shows up in 3.1.0, so for me that's no problem, I'll just use older version.

By the way, impressive work. I replay Doom after really long time and I can only imagine how much work you've put into making Smooth Doom. Animations and sprites looks fantastic. Love it.
jonusiescu

Postby Gifty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Wifi acquired, Dropbox link and rifle issue should be fixed now.
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks!

By the way, has it been brought to your attention that picking up a Rifle gives you a 'Picked up a Pistol' message?
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods