Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.1.0.5]

Post by Matt »

Vaecrius wrote:EDIT: Fuck it, I give up. It's like finding a needle in a haystack with 1 piece of hay in each galaxy, and each planet has billions of needles and you weren't given any way to figure out what kind of need you're even supposed to be looking for.

HD is from hereon in singleplayer-only.
I owe everyone here my sincerest apology for freaking out and giving up and being a dick like this. I really do appreciate how much time, effort and love you guys who post here (and those who don't post here!) give to this quirky little mod and if it weren't for your support HD wouldn't be 1% as good as it is now.

Anyway, I think I've addressed the problem: it seems that overriding all that stuff in PlayerThink() meant stuff was getting processed before... whatever all that stuff after HandleMovement() is... and screwing everything up.

Let me know if the latest commit still desyncs. I have not been able to get it do so yet, at least not with the stuff that was reliably getting desyncs this morning.

EDIT: Turn180 functionality has been restored. I have to admit I didn't actually know what that did until I saw it in MovePlayer()...
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Now that was a quick fix! Probably not easy, but I know I'm super thrilled that HD co-op isn't dead and that there is another page in the Tome of ZScript knowledge. Man, I was really nervous that as HD coop seemed to have a few people to try and present more content for it that it was going to die.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Vaecrius, you've been working on this confounding behemoth of a mod for so long that I don't really think anyone would be really surprised if you flip the table in frustration, not least of all after a massive overhaul to a new scripting method. We all certainly owe our thanks for your patience leading up to this point for this entirely unique and hideously frustrating mod, for making it, for supporting it for as long as you have, and for buckling down and finding this last needle in an entirely long series of galactic haystacks, so...

Thank you, very much! Also nice job tracking it down!
Azba

Post by Azba »

Wow, good stuff Vae. Had me worried there even though I thought you might have been joking and just frustrated at the time of posting.
Glad to see coop's back on the table even though literally everyone else who I've played it with lives on the other side of the planet and it gets very... interesting with the input delay.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

The good news is that the constant desyncs have mostly died off!

Not all of them, though!

Nightvision seems to be causing desyncs.

Second Flesh is actually causing wounds rather than fixing them, also wounds seem to be building faster. (In netplay??)

The spare lives counter isn't working right (in netplay??)
Last edited by Somagu on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Tried shooting through a wall into a monster closet, killed by ricochet. Lol.

8-)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

It appears you were actually killed by a medical staple. :V

The good news is that the liteamp desync is not caused by the new effect.
The bad news is that it's caused by the way I've set up the liteamp effect itself (the one that makes things not dark).
I have no idea how to set it up so it works, though I'm sure there is a solution.

I'll look at the second flesh.Fixed. Something that was supposed to happen 1/128 of the time ended up having a 1/128 chance of not happening due to one missing character.

Spare lives counter is working better for me in netplay than offline, but it still doesn't update until the viewing player has died. I don't really want to touch this until I can start (z)scriptifying the entire lives system which is long overdue for an overhaul...

EDIT: whaaaaat what do you mean a random number inside DoEffect() would do that D:
Anyway I think I've addressed this per Phantombeta's suggestion on the previous page to use identifiers.

If there are no more desyncs before Sunday afternoon I hope to get another release out.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What did you do in DoEffect? The way this function gets called shouldn't cause desyncs under normal conditions.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Here's a stripped-down standalone version of the actor that caused this:

Code: Select all

class Flickerer:Inventory replaces Infrared{
    override void DoEffect(){
        super.DoEffect();
        if(owner && owner.player){
            if(
                !owner.countinv("PowerInvisibility")
                &&(owner.player.fixedcolormap<0||owner.player.fixedcolormap==5)
            ){
                owner.player.fixedcolormap=5;
                if(!random(0,10))owner.player.fixedcolormap=-1;
            }else if(owner.player.fixedcolormap==5)
                owner.player.fixedcolormap=-1;
        }
    }
}
I got a desync by running 2 instances in co-op, giving myself this plus the (regular vanilla) chaingun and shooting at the "other" player until I got an out of sync message.

EDIT: Only happens in HD though (in which no chaingun is necessary, I just shoot whatever I spawn with).

EDIT: Been testing with Doomplayer in HD. Seems this happens whenever I have the flickerer, then give myself any of HD's usual weapons (other than HDWeapon), and shoot it. I can get this also by punching and by racking the shotgun when there is something to eject (but not while the shotgun is empty). Simply logging a random number in the attack state (whether by self or invoker) will not suffice.
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Been screwing around with the current git update (from this hour) and haven't had any desyncs yet, though we did find a bug with carry weight and jumping. Also turning around has a weird hitching at the start of a motion, while moving is smoother than ever :D

Other issues:
Trying to patch up a friend with a medkit causes you to carelessly slaughter them.
The BFG has it's 'shotgun' effect back and no longer targets friendlies with energy bolts.
Grenades instantly trigger as trip mines if placed on roofs.
Weight seems to be inconsisent, two players with empty inventories have different minimum weights, unless keys and skulls weigh something.
Use-kicks no longer hurt friendlies

Edit: Just had a desync! friend just set corpses on fire with the plasmagun's alt fire and caused one
Matt

Post by Matt »

I can't replicate that last one without GZDoom just plain crashing.

EDIT: Tried summoning lots of undeadriflemen instead of killing my own dudes with the plasma alt. Somehow that ended up curing the crash???

EDIT: Just tried medikit. Works fine for me. What does "carelessly slaughter" mean? (The kit does do some minor damage so if you're at 2 health the medikit will kill the player, as Caligari showed in his vid)

EDIT: I just fixed a bug where dropping the pistol would drop an exact copy on the ground, but the player would still retain that information making it impossible to go from a loaded pistol to totally nothing. There may be other things that suffer from this.
EDIT: I think I got them all.
Last edited by Matt on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

TBF I think I was bleeding at that point anyway, so I would have died even without the medikit :P

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

There is something very, very seriously wrong with what the Thunder Buster is doing and I have no idea what's causing it.

Tempted to get rid of the weapon entirely.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Hope this doesn't mean the BFG will become the only energy weapon, though I admit the TB is a LITTLE OP compared to other options. (if finicky)

I appreciate your patience dealing with all this, whatever your decision though : such a MASSIVE rewrite is going to make tons of bugs, and you surely got your work cut out for ya.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Please don't. PLEASE. The finickyness is what gives the Thunderbuster it's charm. I love the TB, and will often swear by the thing when cells are plentiful.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”