How to use two enterpic's

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
camaxide

How to use two enterpic's

Post by camaxide »

Looking at https://mantis.zdoom.org/view.php?id=280 what I aim to do should be possible, but as I can't figure it out myself I ask here.

I'm close to finishing the second and last episode of my grand project, and want to give it a last go as to see if it will be possible to add the world map (alla doom1) in addition to the fullscreen image (enterpic) and story-text (cluster entertext).
I'd need to tell the game that after the worldmap (enterpic) it should go to another enterpic, instead of moving straight on to the (cluster entertext).
I've gone many times through the https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... een_sp.txt and the https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... screen.txt but havent found a way through there to do this.

I've got the world map for episode 2 pretty much made, though I won't spend time finishing it for episode 1 also if I don't know if it will even be possible to add it.
I'd greatly appreciate any help that would make it possible to achieve this.

What I wan't is not a new screen, and no new content that isn't already in there - but I want to be able to tell one (enterpic) to be able to jump to a second (enterpic) when the first is done, then just continue the cycle as it use to. This would make a great impact on my project, and I'm sure it would also be very useful for others, as it would open for the ability to chain together enterpic's which then mean you could make slideshows, multi-stage maps, etc. etc. by just going through various enterpic lumps.

In reality this could also be done in one long enterpic, if the enterpic supported this. but I imagine the ability to tell one enterpic to move to another one would be an easier approach.
Nevander

Re: How to use two enterpic's

Post by Nevander »

You can tell the game to use a different image for the interpic on the stat screen than on the entering screen.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition#ExitPic
https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition#EnterPic

Unless I misunderstood, this is what you want. You can have a different graphic for exiting the map, entering the next one, and for the cluster text screen.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

What I want is to show the world map in addition to the 3 screens you mention.
On the step 'entering a new one' I first want to display the world map, then the fullscreen picture for the next map with it's name on top after it (followed by the cluster text screen)
With the normal code I have to chose to either 1: show a world map, or 2: show a fullscreen image - as these two functions share the same lump (enterpic) but I dont want to chose one or the other, I want them both :)
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

It could be that it's simply impossible to do, even with the zscript abilities
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Well, one thing you could attempt is to script the Intermission sequence, sort of like what KDiZD did back in 2007.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Remmirath wrote:Well, one thing you could attempt is to script the Intermission sequence, sort of like what KDiZD did back in 2007.
Thanks Remmirath
I had actually not seen that before.
I looked through the script which is about 3000 lines long, though most of it is map-related to KDiZD and my code would have to be a lot shorter than that.
What they do there is essentially to re-write a new intermission that is running ingame inside a fake map, disabling the players movement and weapons, and overlaying graphics and text in the view port.

For my use it would mean I'd have to re-write a new "fake" world-map rather than using the already built in function, which seem like a rather huge task compared to the small hurdle I try to jump over.
I tried earlier to make a fake map in between each level so that the real levels intermission would hold the world-map, then the fake map would instantly quit and show the enterpic of the next map and the then the hub story text - the problem was that the fake map would also show the kill/item/time - which I didn't want - but disabling that with nointermission would also remove the part of the intermission I do want..
Is there a way to disable the intermission-screen that counts up kills etc, and just skip straight to the enterpic-part?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

camaxide wrote:Is there a way to disable the intermission-screen that counts up kills etc, and just skip straight to the enterpic-part?
Not without doing a fake dummy map that overlays the graphic manually. Unfortunately all that stuff (like enterpic) is a part of the same built in intermission sequence. It would be nice to have more options, like a nostatscreen option which still makes the game go into the intermission but skips straight to the enterpic part like you suggested.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Yeah, if implemented that would work too, but then again that might be the same amount of work to implement, as to simply allow one enterpic code 'LINK' to another one - much like end-intermissions can link to whatever new intermission string you like. though, I think they said they wont be doing such a code, as it technically could be possible to achieve this with zscript now, though seem noone knows how that could be done, and sounds like it will also include an extensive piece of work and many pages of code to achieve something that should be a simple line.
Any other suggestions on how to achieve this is most welcome :)

Return to “Editing (Archive)”