Font type with PrintBold

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Ichor

Font type with PrintBold

Post by Ichor »

I know smallfont is that white text used in Print, but what is the font used in PrintBold (FONTAY##)?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Font type with PrintBold

Post by wildweasel »

Does it actually change the font between the two? I thought the only difference between Print and PrintBold was that PrintBold displays for all players, while Print only displays for the activator.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I may be misremembering, but I believe Vanilla Hexen used PrintBold to send messages about "you have solved 1/nth of the puzzle..." to all the players. The font used was the same message font that Hexen and Heretic both used, just translated graphically to "yellow" (a sort of dark gold with grey outlines) - which is now part of ZDoom's message colors (CR_YELLOW).
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

In vanilla, there was a font for Print (FONTA##) and a font for PrintBold (FONTAY##). This may just be yellow text instead of white and ZDoom does the same thing now, but since it's a separate font with its own graphics, PrintBold doesn't have to use yellow text. It could use a completely different font, like the basic Doom font for Print and...oh I don't know...an upside down text for PrintBold.

The problem is that using fontdefs, I don't know of a way to use the PrintBold font because there's no option for it that I know of (wiki is no help) and I don't know the font for it. Smallfont is for the white FONTA text, but what is the yellow FONTAY? I don't think smallfont2 is it since that's for Strife.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

If you have a FONTDEFS lump with this in it:

Code: Select all

YellowFont
   {
       Template FONTAY%03d
   }
You should then be able to use that font through ACS/SBARINFO/Zscript.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Alright, I tried that and PrintBold still prints out the white instead of yellow.
Gez

Post by Gez »

[wiki]Print[/wiki] and [wiki]PrintBold[/wiki] use different default color, as explained on the wiki. (Seriously. Read it.) The default color for print corresponds to the color from the msgmidcolor CVAR; for printbold it's the msgmidcolor2 CVAR. You can override that by using your own color specifier. Again, all that stuff is on the wiki.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

I do read it, and for the most part, it does help, but not in this case. I guess my only other option at this point is to use SetFont for the PrintBold commands, which should work anyway.

aaaaand even that didn't work, so now I'm not even going to care anymore if PrintBold prints out as white. At least the spacing question was answered and that did work. This was a much more trivial matter anway.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Gez wrote:[wiki]Print[/wiki] and [wiki]PrintBold[/wiki] use different default color, as explained on the wiki. (Seriously. Read it.) The default color for print corresponds to the color from the msgmidcolor CVAR; for printbold it's the msgmidcolor2 CVAR. You can override that by using your own color specifier. Again, all that stuff is on the wiki.

Actually, no. Changing msgmidcolor will affect both. msgmidcolor2 is present but unused.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ok, but for some reason it won't get used by PrintBold. Seems like it never sets the font color when doing the printing.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”