[WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (07/04 V2 Rewrite!)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (07/04 V2 Rewrite!)

Post by Kinsie »

(Disclosure: Video was recorded from an early version of V1, while it was still a part of MetaDoom. Terrain effects and animdefs warps are not included. A new video is coming soon. In the mean-time, view this tweet thread.)

FANCY WORLD is an experimental GZDoom mod that aims to add audiovisual effects to pre-existing maps without any mapper intervention necessary. The first version of this was released in 2017, and was fairly poorly programmed. This new 2019 release is also poorly programmed, but less so, and has a bunch of new features, like attaching sounds to walls based on their texture.

Please update to GZDoom 4.0.0 before using this. A bug in GZDoom 3.7.2 causes Very Fatal Errors in certain Doom 1 & 2 IWAD maps.

Currently Implemented
  • Nukage flats bubble loudly and disconcertingly
  • Water, slime and blood flats make ambient liquid sounds
  • Lava flats make noise, bubble and emit smoke every now and then
  • Hot rocks flats emit smoke and sizzle every now and then
  • Outdoor areas have ambient air sounds.
  • Certain wall textures from the IWADs, CC4Tex and whatever texture packs ObAddon uses make ambient noises as appropriate - waterfalls, light fixtures, computers etc.
Known Issues
  • The code ain't fantastic, and could use a pass by someone who knows WTF they're doing.
  • Maps with real long stretches of certain liquid flats (like MAP28 of JPCP's massive lava ocean) can cause a big framerate hit from all the OpenAL HRTF-processing on ambient audio.
  • Maps with lots of lines with textures that have sounds attached can have long load times as sound emitters that are too close together are culled.
Future Plans
  • Some better way of defining sounds for textures. The current sea of copy-paste is a pain in the ass. Some sort of new lump for applying things all nice-like ala Nashgore or Dmgnums would be a far better method, but I lack the code-fu to write such things myself (never did get the hang of file i/o, sorry)
  • Optimisation optimisations. The current method of deleting actors too close together works and results in good framerates, but can result in long load times, likely on account of CountProximity() being slow or something.
  • Applying Soundsequences to sectors based on line textures, so that wooden doors actually sound like wooden doors instead of whirring sci-fi pistons.
Downloads
Version 2 (~3mb)
Github Repo (Updating Soon - I completely forgot about it, oops)
Last edited by Kinsie on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD

Post by Jimmy »

Spoiler:
Cardboard Marty

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Wow! This is such a neat addition that really adds a certain ~feel~ to maps. Great work as always Kinsie!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I like the fact that the effects are definitely there but they're not over the top. They remain part of the world ambience without taking over. Nice balance.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I M M E R S I O N
Kinsie

Re: [WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (v1 Released)

Post by Kinsie »

I've released what I'm going to call Version 1 for now.

This is more or less the same as the previous Github commit, with some additional optimisation - MAP28 of JPCP is still not necessarily "ideal" (running at 10-15fps on my machine with monsters turned off) but MAP27 runs at more or less full speed. This makes me feel a lot better about this weird, crazy thing. I'll probably work some more on it once the next version of MetaDoom is done and dusted.
BonusChild

Re: [WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (V1 Released)

Post by BonusChild »

Can't get this to work :( I load it and it changes nothing. Am I missing something simple? Probably am, have done that before, but I'm not sure what. Regardless, looks nice ^_^
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

BonusChild wrote:Can't get this to work :( I load it and it changes nothing. Am I missing something simple? Probably am, have done that before, but I'm not sure what. Regardless, looks nice ^_^
It just water, slime & lava textures changed to look more alive by adding sound effects and some popping bubbles on it, that's all. I like it though.
Or maybe you're not seeing any of that after loading the mod, which I am not sure then.
BonusChild

Post by BonusChild »

ArmyteCel wrote:
BonusChild wrote:Can't get this to work :( I load it and it changes nothing. Am I missing something simple? Probably am, have done that before, but I'm not sure what. Regardless, looks nice ^_^
It just water, slime & lava textures changed to look more alive by adding sound effects and some popping bubbles on it, that's all. I like it though.
Or maybe you're not seeing any of that after loading the mod, which I am not sure then.
Yeah I know that. When I load the mod, nothing in my game changes.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Now how loud is E3M6 due to all the lava? lol
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

This is amazing! Trying to implement a similar effect in a mod I'm working on, and this is a great help.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

So you know that pit of slime in the northern area of E1M3 where there's a switch to raise more floor? Apparently with this, doing so causes green bubbles to keep popping all over the newly risen floor and even the rest of the bridge it's connected to.
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

BonusChild wrote:
ArmyteCel wrote:
Yeah I know that. When I load the mod, nothing in my game changes.
It's because some change broke graphic mods like this by G3.0.0.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sgt Jack V wrote:It's because some change broke graphic mods like this by G3.0.0.
That shouldn't be it at all.

Do you get any error messages in your startup log? How are you launching the game?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Sgt Jack V wrote:It's because some change broke graphic mods like this by G3.0.0.
I developed this for GZDoom 3.x. Please don't lie.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”