D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 6 -- Q&A Page 24

Post by Major Cooke »

Curious, would anyone care if I replaced the hold-to-fire-secondary with just a toggle instead?

To explain without revealing too much, the upcoming surprise will revolve around the weapons. I figured, if anything, I should make it consistent across the board (there will be no option to change it, that'd be way too much work) so no one has to play with confusing key presses. It'd be streamlined if I changed it all, so you would know what to expect form the new content at least. The fewer the keys you have to press and hold, the more thought you can put into pushing other buttons that will make a difference.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Also, this isn't a democracy where you can vote on it. If it goes, it goes. You will have to adjust. Thankfully, it's pretty simple for adjusting.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

Gollgagh wrote:What is that "Chaingun Special Mode" bind supposed to do anyway?
it makes demons cry but because u have to buy EVERYTHING in the store its way harder than it was when there wasnt so many upgrades
Gollgagh

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 6 -- Feedback requested: page 27!

Post by Gollgagh »

Gorec wrote:
Gollgagh wrote:What is that "Chaingun Special Mode" bind supposed to do anyway?
it makes demons cry but because u have to buy EVERYTHING in the store its way harder than it was when there wasnt so many upgrades
Major Cooke wrote:If you think you bought everything, you haven't. Chaingun is the clue.
Ohh... that's... oh. @_@
Major Cooke wrote:Curious, would anyone care if I replaced the hold-to-fire-secondary with just a toggle instead?
I hate toggles

hate hate hate

it's an extra thing to keep track of when my memory's shit to begin with
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Right now I'm still thinking about which way I go. The more opinions I get, the more I'll be swayed.
XavierStudios

Post by XavierStudios »

Major Cooke wrote:Please let me know your thoughts!
I really hope I'm understanding you here

Holding less keys at a given time is nice on paper, but it's more key presses in total what with toggling the secondary on and off. Besides that, many of the current secondaries are not ones I would leave toggled for any appreciable length of time so I imagine it'd be more cumbersome when you switch to the shotgun expecting it to spit buckshot and proceed to blow yourself up. Even if switching weapons resets the toggle, I feel it's not desirable enough to warrant replacing the current mechanic.

The only secondaries that would make sense and maybe benefit from toggling include the H.A.R.'s Micro Missiles, repeater's incendiary shot, chaingun's Gatling Rotator and double-maybe the Gauss Cannon's Siege Mode. Most others have a large cooldown (shotgun's triple burst/grenade, plasma rifle's stun bomb) or don't make sense (every other one, for the most part).

Unless the surprise you mentioned involves changing several weapons' secondaries to be equivalent in function and utility to the primary fire, I believe it's best to keep it as-is.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Alright. Fair points.

But I guess I need to spoil the surprise a little and announce the upcoming object.
Spoiler: SURPRISE!
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Having the toggle certainly seems easier for the new system, but having the hold-to-arm is better when using the standard set-up. (Which I think you said you could do? Not sure if I'm misreading that.)
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I can certainly go that route easily enough. The daunting aspect of going through all the base weapons and adjusting them is indeed quite a bit of a turn-off for me, but is quite reasonable for holding two at once.

Also, this isn't dual wielding. Just akimbo.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Major Cooke wrote: Also, this isn't dual wielding. Just akimbo.
...Aren't they the same thing? I always figured they were synonyms. Does akimbo mean you can only fire one at a time?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I always saw them differently. Akimbo being the ability to use two things at once, but dual wield is for akimbo of the same type of thing.

My akimbo means you can hold weapon in one hand and hold another of a different type in the other. You can fire them at any time in conjunction, separately, etc.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

I don't know but the whole Akimbo thing is a little bit tooo off from the entire seriousness of the mod.

Personally saying Akimbo is not okay, it looks weird, feels hard and crumbsome to control. It can work however if you go with only Dual Plasma Rifles, Pistols and some other weapons that are dual wield-able practically.

Also the Toggle system can work to a certain extent (Example: Reload switches both pistols to charged and uncharged mode and right click fires both pistols together and left click one by one rapidly) but it will be very very weird.

again Akimbo looks way too much weird.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Akimbo's entirely optional. I know it won't appeal to everyone (especially because of the alien arm count, Abathur style), but I've been planning this idea from the very start ever since D4D was conceived.

When I put in the handless versions of the weapons it'll look a lot better.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Major Cooke wrote:Akimbo's entirely optional. I know it won't appeal to everyone (especially because of the alien arm count, Abathur style), but I've been planning this idea from the very start ever since D4D was conceived.

When I put in the handless versions of the weapons it'll look a lot better.
Oh, that's cool then :) but you really have to figure out about the toggling options...guess that obviously led you to asking us in the first place :3:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

The toggling will have to be present on the akimbo system. I can leave the single weapons alone easily enough, which makes my work on this a lot easier too.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Major Cooke wrote:The toggling will have to be present on the akimbo system. I can leave the single weapons alone easily enough, which makes my work on this a lot easier too.
Swell~

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”