[Finished] PSX Quake 2 deathmatch maps and weapons v2.0

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Scubbo

Re: [Finished] PSX Quake 2 deathmatch maps and weapons v2.0

Post by Scubbo »

rad mod, enjoying it, actually made me want to go back and play Q2 tbh :O !
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Nice! Quake 2 is an awesome game, so I'm glad this makes you want to revisit it.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I see your mod has not replaced Doom's Chainsaw with its Ground Zero counterpart. :?

Also, do you plan to add Quake II monsters and barrels in a future release?
BFG

Post by BFG »

Also those Duke 3D explosions just take me out of it a bit, any chance they could be replaced with more Quake 2-esque ones? I think MajorCooke may have some sprites like that.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote: Also, do you plan to add Quake II monsters and barrels in a future release?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50228 <-- You should try this mod as they did do all Quake 2 monsters.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I did try that mod, actually. Alas, it remains unfinished.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I see your mod has not replaced Doom's Chainsaw with its Ground Zero counterpart. :?
It wasn't part of my plan, since the Chainsaw wasn't part of Vanilla Quake 2, which PSX Quake 2 is based off of.
JohhnyTheWolf wrote:Also, do you plan to add Quake II monsters and barrels in a future release?
Not the point of this mod.
BFG wrote:Also those Duke 3D explosions just take me out of it a bit, any chance they could be replaced with more Quake 2-esque ones? I think MajorCooke may have some sprites like that.
hfc2x wrote:-Got rid of the Duke Nukem 3D explosions for rockets, and added those weird mushroom-like ones from Quake 2 rockets.
I mentioned this in the first post, dude.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

True, but for the sake of consistency, it would make sense to have the Ground Zero chainsaw replace its default counterpart - unless you remove the latter entirely.
A_gunFlash

Post by A_gunFlash »

Rocket Launcher:
Damage Per Hit
100-120 [direct impact]
60-112 [splash damage]
Grenade Launcher:
Damage Per Hit
102-112 [direct impact]
40-112 [splash damage]
Correct in this mod? I looked in the slide and it says only 100 + 20 damage for missiles. Where splash damage?
When you take grenades, they give out 10 instead of 5 like in a vanilla Quake 2.
The supershotgun has a very narrow range of buckshot in height.
max amout shell 50 instead 100 like in quake2.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the ammo amounts are taken from PSX Quake 2, whereas the weapon damage and such are from the PC version. I know there's gotta be a lot of bugs, and I'll probably update this in the future, since I'm pretty dissatisfied with the version of this mod I posted in the OP.
A_gunFlash

Post by A_gunFlash »

A_gunFlash wrote: max amout shell 50 instead 100 like in quake2.
I meant that in mod until you find a backpack a maximum of 50 shells, although in the PC as well as in the PSX version there were 100 shells. (Shotgun)
A_gunFlash wrote: Rocket Launcher:
Damage Per Hit
100-120 [direct impact]
60-112 [splash damage]
Grenade Launcher:
Damage Per Hit
102-112 [direct impact]
40-112 [splash damage]
Correct in this mod? I looked in the slide and it says only 100 + 20 damage for missiles. Where splash damage?
about splash damage. In the mod, the rocket launcher deals damage only with a splash demage without a direct hit. Although there should be direct damage. As I already wrote in numbers.
A_gunFlash wrote: When you take grenades, they give out 10 instead of 5 like in a vanilla Quake 2.
weapon.ammogive 4 Rlauncher but need give 5 rockets
Q2railgun weapon.ammogive 4 but need give 10 slugs
GrenLauncher weapon.ammogive 4 but need 5 grens

CLASS QRoketBox : RocketBox replaces RocketBox
{
{
Inventory.Amount 10; //must only 5
Inventory.PickupSound "q2/item";
Inventory.PickupMessage "$GOTROCKETCAN";
}
}

BFG10k
Damage Per Hit
200 [direct impact]
200 [splash damage]
0-500 [effect in SP]
0-200 [effect in MP]
10 [ball laser in SP]
5 [ball laser in MP]
https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/BFG10k_(Q2)
Rocket Launcher
Damage Per Hit
100-120 [direct impact]
60-112 [splash damage]
https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Rocket_Launcher_(Q2)

<<<ACTOR Roketto : Grens replaces RocketAmmo
{
Inventory.PickupSound "q2/item"
Inventory.Amount 5
}
Why not this instead single rocket?>>>
For the rest all right.
I hope I have now clearly explained
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Out of curiosity, have the exclusive PS1 enemies ever been ported or recreated for the PC version?
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

A_gunFlash wrote: I meant that in mod until you find a backpack a maximum of 50 shells, although in the PC as well as in the PSX version there were 100 shells. (Shotgun)
That's certainly a bug. I'll look into it.
A_gunFlash wrote: about splash damage. In the mod, the rocket launcher deals damage only with a splash demage without a direct hit. Although there should be direct damage. As I already wrote in numbers.
I wasn't sure what you were talking about, so I checked the source code, and I see what you mean now: check it out.

So, according to the source code, rockets do 100+random(0,20) direct impact, plus 120 damage around a 120 unit radius. I'll fix the problems when I get around to it.
A_gunFlash wrote: weapon.ammogive 4 Rlauncher but need give 5 rockets
Q2railgun weapon.ammogive 4 but need give 10 slugs
GrenLauncher weapon.ammogive 4 but need 5 grens
This is simply a workaround I did back then when I was implementing all the amounts, because of how weapons work in Deathmatch in Doom (the main point of this mod), as they have a hard-coded multiplier for ammo pickups (including weapons) that are the amount times 2.5, so 4 would give you 10 ammo in Deathmatch. I wasn't aware at the time that ZScript allows you to simply override the AttachToOwner function to null the multiplier, so this should be easy to fix with an update.
I appreciate that you took the time to look all these numbers up, but please don't use the fandom wiki for this kind of information, since it can very easily be super wrong.
A_gunFlash wrote: <<<ACTOR Roketto : Grens replaces RocketAmmo
{
Inventory.PickupSound "q2/item"
Inventory.Amount 5
}
Why not this instead single rocket?>>>
Again, because when I made this, I wasn't aware that you could simply override the AttachToOwner function.

And as I said, I don't think I'll fix this any soon, since I'm busy with real life stuff atm. Will definitely update this when I can, though, since I guess I don't have an excuse to not go and peek at the Quake 2 source code instead of relying on information gathered by Randy Pitchford. Should have known better than to trust him lol.

EDIT:
Dynamo wrote:Out of curiosity, have the exclusive PS1 enemies ever been ported or recreated for the PC version?
I don't know of any mods that have done that, but I knew there was a TC or something that was attempting on recreating Quake 2. This mod, however, was primarily intended for Deathmatch purposes, so not much going on that alters single play or coop.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”