What happened to Brutal Hexen/Heretic

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

What happened to Brutal Hexen/Heretic

Postby Rachael » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:02 pm

Long story short - Brutal Hexen and Brutal Heretic were mods that were offered on this forum by the user ZDL_800 not too long ago.

Brutal Hexen was particularly popular, and so due to this, I felt the need to create a post about what happened.

ZDL_800 sent a user a PM which was then reported to us by said user basically admitting that Brutal Hexen had copyright violations. What really got him in trouble though, was the fact that this was paywalled and there was no "free" version.

He said flat out in that PM that he knew it would get him banned if we found out, which is another reason for the ban. This negates any warning or slap-on-the-wrist we could have given if he simply hadn't known.

ZDL_800 wrote:I do apologize but I cannot provide the MegaWAD on this forum I'm afraid, my account will be banned and I cant take the risk its too important to me, this forum means a lot to me.

This is a liability issue for us. I am taking this action to protect the forum and its users. So if you want to know where it went - that's what happened. Sorry for the inconvenience. Brutal Heretic has been pulled pending an investigation for possible copyright violations, but I might be able to restore that one as long as it keeps its resource usage to Heretic assets.

EDIT: Brutal Heretic seems to be okay, so it has been restored.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: What happened to Brutal Hexen/Heretic

Postby Rachael » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:13 am

Update: Okay so apparently there was a free download for Brutal Hexen itself, that I didn't see because it was buried under a massive wall of text. I put the thread back where it was and unhid it.

However, there is still the issue that he was knowingly trying to offer copyrighted content (which is not exclusively his own) from behind a paywall. The patreon page made it clear as day, and snapshots of it have already been taken. He knew he would get banned for it, and even said so in his PM to that user.

Spoiler:

Also, due to an attempt to blackmail me publicly on the Doomworld forum, the ban has been extended to be permanent.
Spoiler:
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness