lilith.pk3 - release candidate 1

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

lilith.pk3 - release candidate 1

Postby anotak » Sun May 28, 2017 9:06 am

release candidate 1
note: requires actual literal zdoom (2.8.1 or newer) or zdoomle. the gzdoom/qzdoom/zandronum software/hardware renderers are all incompatible.

fÍle read lilith.pk3
index entry lilith.pk3 in index $I74 of file 637 is incorrect.
rebuilding lilith.pk3 for zdóom 2.8.1. processing
who am i
errors ƒound. cannot continue¿

more screenshots cbvx

and release candidate 1
Last edited by anotak on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
anotak

Re: lilith.pk3 - coming soon

Postby ZZYZX » Sun May 28, 2017 10:13 am

anotak wrote:Image

The best archvile I've seen :lol:
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Discord: ZZYZX#1394
Github ID: jewalky

Postby Tapwave » Mon May 29, 2017 2:11 am

My hype levels are off the charts and it ain't even October!
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Discord: Sunray#7070
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby anotak » Mon May 29, 2017 9:32 am

ty to the both of you. another screenshot for yall
anotak

Postby Ribo Zurai » Mon May 29, 2017 11:24 am

"Whoops, spilled my coffee all over my motherboard again. Naaaah it's must be fine."
Ribo Zurai

Postby Projectionist » Mon May 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Are you sure you just don't need a new GPU?

You could make that the audio is all screwed up too. And random ear piercing screams of terror / horrible unbearable pain could also be a nice touch.
Projectionist

Re: lilith.pk3 - release candidate 1

Postby anotak » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:21 pm

some more screenshots and a bump for release candidate 1

anotak

Postby ZZYZX » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Unless this is a puzzle wad where I need to figure out how to get rid of an error, this is stupid: http://i.imgur.com/0E3CQK0.png
Show me 0 people who use ZDoom once it stopped developing.
Running with vid_renderer 0 still results in detecting GZDoom. Running QZDoom does nothing as well.
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby anotak » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:43 pm

the newer renderer in the zdoom children ports (including the software renderer) are incompatible and do not play the levels as intended.

edit: zdoomLE is fine, and still being updated.

edit edit: to clarify, i use tricks with mirrors that rely on quirks of the old zdoom renderer. in the qz/gz/zandronum renderers they don't look how i intend, they just look normal, but also reduce you to an undesirable 3 fps. Randi announced the discontinuation of zdoom while I was still working on this project. I had already done a large amount of work on it, assuming regular zdoom would still be around when I finished (as it had been for ~20 years before). and plenty of people still use the old zdoom or zdoom LE, and enjoy it, so I decided to finish my project instead of trying to rework many of my ideas.

edit edit edit: also, last time i checked, one of the rooms in map03 just makes gzdoom crash to desktop
anotak

Postby Rachael » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:28 am

@anotak: Please don't block the pk3 from even running like that if it uses an incompatible source port. It's fine if it runs with errors - let it run - but don't end the game just because of it.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby anotak » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Rachael wrote:@anotak: Please don't block the pk3 from even running like that if it uses an incompatible source port. It's fine if it runs with errors - let it run - but don't end the game just because of it.

i thought about this quite a bit before release, and sought feedback from my testers & others in the doom community.

several central gameplay mechanisms do not work at all how i intended in gz/qz/zandro. it's unfortunate, i'd rather not decrease my target audience, but to accomplish what i wanted to do, i had to.
anotak

Postby ZZYZX » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:46 pm

I'd rather write in big fat letters on the titlepic (or first map) that "THIS WAD DOES NOT WORK IN NON-ZDOOM PORTS AT THE TIME OF WRITING. PLEASE SWITCH UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY SURE THAT IT WILL WORK".
Because in the future they might actually fix stuff in Q/GZdoom.
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby anotak » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 pm

ZZYZX wrote:I'd rather write in big fat letters on the titlepic (or first map) that "THIS WAD DOES NOT WORK IN NON-ZDOOM PORTS AT THE TIME OF WRITING. PLEASE SWITCH UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY SURE THAT IT WILL WORK".
Because in the future they might actually fix stuff in Q/GZdoom.

it's not really stuff that they can fix, this is a special case. i did hacky broken things. they would have to break things that already work correctly by the usual definition. i've dug around in the rendering code of various doom ports enough myself to know that the work required would be extreme, and entirely not worth the effort. i do not want people to bug graf/dpjudas/rachael/zandronum team/etc to support my broken hacky tricks, the intent of which was to be broken and hacky.

if you play map03 you will see what i mean.
anotak

Postby Rachael » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Look - anotak - I still think it's a bad idea to block it outright from working in those child ports. Luckily for me I was able to defeat the check pretty easily, but not everyone has the kind of skills that I do.

Please - just either disable the check, or just go the direction ZZYZX suggested and just print out a warning that it won't work.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby anotak » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:31 pm

i don't really get why you want me to. i get that it's unusual, but this is an unusual pk3. unless you're telling me that you're seriously going to attempt to support any of what happens in this wad in the newer renderers. but i doubt you will, and i would never ask you to support glitchy legacy behavior until the end of time.
and even then, I can just release a new version. i'm not going anywhere, i've been playing doom for over 20 years, even if i don't really say much publicly to the community.

and if i die, people can just recompile the ACS like you did. i did make the check trivial to disable, and included the source for a reason. the license is permissive.

so, the benefits, as far as i see are: ??? nothing??

and the drawbacks are that people will play it, ignore the warnings, have a worse experience. the thing is, in a wad built around glitchy behavior, your users can't easily tell that it isn't working as intended. and if you think that's not real, i had several of my testers do that. or, in the case of zandronum, map02 and map05 don't work because 3d floors can't "invert" like that on that port
anotak

Next

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness