Doom 64 styled graphics for vanilla/Doom 2 demons

Requests go in THIS forum!

Doom 64 styled graphics for vanilla/Doom 2 demons

Postby YoshiGa » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:56 am

This is something which I've wanted for a while since I'm a massive fan of Doom 64's graphics but haven't really seen done until Doom 64-inater which I'm still not sure if it's still being worked in currently. Basically the idea is that it's a mod that replaces the vanilla monster sprites with their Doom 64 counterparts but also makes new ones for the Revenant and Arch Vile.
I feel like this may have been done before and I've just not found it yet but as of posting this I'm just gonna assume no one's done it before (except BD64 of course but I'd kinda prefer one made from scratch as opposed to being a modified sprite from Blood). Hope yall hear me out on this idea, thanks.
YoshiGa

Re: Doom 64 styled graphics for vanilla/Doom 2 demons

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:05 am

Yeah, I remember commenting about DrPyspy's stunning reimagining of the Revenant for Doom 64 a couple of years ago. Shame that it went nowhere.

I do know some guy named Gerardo194 was working on a similar project. He had a thread over at Doomworld, but it ended up getting locked after he had some sort of nervous breakdown:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ions-done/

Not too sure what is going on with that one either. Later on, he did announce a special Doom 64 episode for DZDoom featuring the missing monsters, though:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... the-chaos/

And for what is worth, Sgt_Mark_IV (the controversial creator of Brutal Doom) has been working on a better Revenant spriteset himself, one that is clearly not just a reworked Tchernoborg:

https://twitter.com/brutaldoomguy/statu ... 78?lang=en
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby YoshiGa » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:40 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Yeah, I remember commenting about DrPyspy's stunning reimagining of the Revenant for Doom 64 a couple of years ago. Shame that it went nowhere.

Honestly if D64-inator turns out to have been canned (Which I get the feeling it was given it was first posted like 3 years ago and hasn't been heard of since but I also don't wanna jump to conclusions since it might just be slowly in developement) I may just hold out for Gerardo's project and if that falls flat I might consider starting me own(no promises of course since I don't really know anything about Doom modding but I'll probably give it a fair shot). I'll probably try to contact DrPyspy about his project first but who knows really?
Also wow that new BD64 Revenant looks aeons better than the first one honestly
YoshiGa

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Well, Sarge is now working on standalone commercial release of Brutal Doom, so one must assume that he now has the means and resources to design original assets.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Redneckerz » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:56 am

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I do know some guy named Gerardo194 was working on a similar project. He had a thread over at Doomworld, but it ended up getting locked after he had some sort of nervous breakdown:

He is with Erick194 at work on DZDoom and Doom 64 RE.

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Well, Sarge is now working on standalone commercial release of Brutal Doom, so one must assume that he now has the means and resources to design original assets.

Brutal Fate is not a standalone commercial release of Brutal Doom, although it has a very similar look.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:42 am

Redneckerz wrote:He is with Erick194 at work on DZDoom and Doom 64 RE.

"Doom 64 RE"... Is that Doom 64: Retribution? Is it still being worked on?

Redneckerz wrote:Brutal Fate is not a standalone commercial release of Brutal Doom, although it has a very similar look.

Sure, it has original assets for obvious reasons, but that aside, I do not see how it is not a standalone commercial Brutal Doom. :?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Redneckerz » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:09 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:He is with Erick194 at work on DZDoom and Doom 64 RE.

"Doom 64 RE"... Is that Doom 64: Retribution? Is it still being worked on?

Apologies, i meant to say PSXDoom-RE, a reverse engineering effort.

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Sure, it has original assets for obvious reasons, but that aside, I do not see how it is not a standalone commercial Brutal Doom. :?

Because its called Brutal Fate. :lol:
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Well, you know what I mean. :roll:
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Enjay » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:17 pm

Redneckerz wrote:Because its called Brutal Fate. :lol:

Which, in itself, is a little unfortunate because it sounds like it might be a "Brutal" version of the build game or the action role playing game of the same name.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to Requests