GZDoom runs on wrong monitor

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GZDoom runs on wrong monitor

Postby Marscaleb » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am

GZDoom won't run on my primary monitor; it only runs on "monitor 1." Every other game I can run uses the primary monitor, but not GZDoom.
Honestly, there should just be an option to pick which monitor I want to run on. I have no idea why no game puts that in their options; let me pick the dang screen!
Marscaleb

Re: GZDoom runs on wrong monitor

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 am

While there is no menu option for it, this functionality is available at the console.

Type vid_listadapters to show a list of the available displays and their numbers, then vid_adapter <number> to select one. I believe you will need to restart GZDoom for the change to take effect, but it will persist in your INI file, so you should never have to do that again.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Marscaleb » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Hmm, well that does technically fix the issue. But there's still a weird bug where it tries to run the game on the other monitor first, resulting in that screen having this odd glitch until something clears the screen:

I guess it isn't major, but it is annoying.
Marscaleb

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Can't do much against OS side problems...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Marscaleb » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Can't do much against OS side problems...

No, I suppose not.
That being said, since I've never come across another program that behaves this way, I don't quite think it's an OS problem. I know this is above my programming ability, but it looks like it is trying to launch on that monitor before it checks what monitor it actually wants to run on. Some obscure setting that can be set within visual studio? I don't know.

Though I will still say, personally I think selecting monitors should be an option within the video settings menu. I guess that's just my opinion though. Since its not a feature inside any other PC game ever, evidently I'm the only one who wants this.
Marscaleb

Postby Rachael » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:25 pm

The thing is, it can't be put in the menu reliably as you might think. It would be a bit of a project to get it in there and it's not a simple 2-line change to make that happen.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Marscaleb » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Of course it isn't. It would be an item on the list that would have to dynamically change for each computer the game runs on. The information may technically be in the game already, but in order to appear in the menu you'd need a menu that is capable of handling dynamic entries. So if someone has only one monitor there will only be one option in the list, but if they have four there will be four in the list. And in order to be able to change what options are listed in the menu at run-time you'd need special code designed to do exactly that. And if nowhere else in the game's menus is such code needed, it's a pretty tall order to completely change the menu systems for one feature that almost no one needs.
So yeah, I get it.

Sorry if I'm sounding wanty or arrogant or something here; I've been sick this weekend and my mind isn't exactly running optimally here.
Marscaleb

Postby Hamilton Chablingspear » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 am

Not gonna lie this REALLY should be fixed if you want to call GZDoom a modern source port. When I change it in the console it even lists the proper monitor as my main monitor why doesn't it default to that? I checked Crispy Doom, Chocolate Doom, Odamex, and PRBoom+ none of those ports do this.
Hamilton Chablingspear

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:25 pm

Hamilton Chablingspear wrote:Not gonna lie this REALLY should be fixed if you want to call GZDoom a modern source port. When I change it in the console it even lists the proper monitor as my main monitor why doesn't it default to that? I checked Crispy Doom, Chocolate Doom, Odamex, and PRBoom+ none of those ports do this.

It seems a bit much to call this specific feature detrimental in calling GZ a modern source port.

Going with what Rachael says, its apparently not an easy pickle to implement. I do wonder if GZDoom at the moment is able to atleast detect the presence of more than one monitor?
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm

I wonder what it is about the monitor situation that causes this? My set up is that monitor number 2 is the primary monitor. I have tried to make monitor 1 the primary but it simply doesn't work properly with my setup.

However, because monitor to is designated as primary, Windows does seem to be able to communicate that information to most games (old and new), and they open on monitor number 2 without me having to do anything special. In fact, I think GZDoom is the only one that I regularly use that requires me to tell it to use monitor 2. So, does GZDoom not have a way of interrogating which monitor is set to primary in Windows and then use that by default?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 pm

GZDoom cannot use the D3D interface to query the monitor. It's some fuckup on Microsoft's behalf with OpenGL. Of course there are workarounds, but to check them you first got to have a system that's affected.
Graf Zahl

Return to Technical Issues